3D 120Hz 1440p & 4K monitors - WHEN??? Any news?

The only thing I wanna get right now is 3D at higher resolutions than 1080p, that's really all I want. Oculus Rift - yes, it's great, but it's really only there for gaming and not many games are designed for VR...right now... 

3D does not require G-Sync, so i don't really care about if i get a G-Sync monitor or not. I want everything i see on my screen, to be on 3D and to see no more 2D around... 4K 3D monitor will be my best wish if i can get it under $1000 this or next year. 1440p and mind control OR will be my best wish, since I don't really wanna see individual pixels close to my eyes and i don't want to use any more mouse and keyboard - just control the moves in a game by mind like a matrix... But that damn technology is really moving too slow...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

As far as I know the only screen at > 1080p 3D is going to be the Asus ROG gsync panel. One of the features gsync comes with is an enhanced 3D mode like the lightboost monitors and there is that one model that is going to be 1440p. A lot of people want that monitor (assuming its not a complete disaster). 

Is it the new Asus ROG PG278Q? If yes, this monitor will not support 3D, as i hear, unless ALL 3D gamers make a petition for 3D support to Asus, which might be a bit difficult to happen (i wish it does). I have been asking Asus on facebook for it to put some kind of 3D support and make this monitor 3D capable at least, but they would decline for 3D support or not answer.

ASUS, WHY NO 3D SUPPORT AND CAPABILITY WHEN THE MONITOR IS 120Hz??? WHAT ON EARTH IS YOUR PROBLEM WITH 3D?!?!

I am not asking for 3D ready, just to be capable....! It's fine ima get external IR emitter and glasses, but turning back on 3D is just MEAN!

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

I didn't know it wasn't 3D capable, my understand was that was a feature of the gsync module and hence would be on all gsync monitors. But you could be right, it could be a problem seeing as how its the only 1440p monitor, I do wonder what the trade offs are likely to be.

For 4K 120Hz, we would first have to wait for HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.3 both of which will come out this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4K TN 120Hz panels in Q42014 or Q12015.

IPS is a different story. Most likely, with the release of HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.3, we would see 4K 60Hz IPS monitors, but I'm sure the price on those will be insane. Heck, we don't even see 1080P 120Hz IPS monitors today.

I wouldn't even be surprised if OLED catches up in price by 2015/16.

Wait are you telling me HDMI is actually going to be useful in the future?

You learn something new everyday.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I am really am getting pissed when I see that manufacturers are holding back when doing something which can possibly draw in another thing - 120Hz is a 3D requirement and they are not putting 3D capability on it - WHY? Why hold back? I really don't get it... Even if not many people use 3D, why not having it for the ones who use it?

So Asus: If you don't make that monitor 3D capable, you will put lots of gamers in disappointment. That is simply unfair and I don't know your reason, but I am pretty sure that it is possibly some old cheap excuse like "3D has hit the wall" or something of that sort. 

I know nobody from Asus will notice that but just to show people how annoying manufacturers these days can be...

I wonder what would Linus say as his opinion on 3D gaming and where it's going...

Whats the use for 1000hz? 500hz? They aren't very practical considering no one would really notice a difference.

Have you tried one?

Ok, now... 120Hz - 120 FPS...How could I possibly get that much on a 1440p screen??? :/ oh gosh don't tell me that's 4 way SLI... That's really big overkill performance requirement. OK, Let's hope that Maxwell will have as big jump of performance as efficiency it says on Nvidia's timeline graph.

I don't know why I didn't respond but anyway, when the game run in 3D the display is going to run at 120Hz but the game could be running at 2 or 200 FPS.

There's probably going to be a big gain from G-Sync.

I don't know why I didn't respond but anyway, when the game run in 3D the display is going to run at 120Hz but the game could be running at 2 or 200 FPS.

There's probably going to be a big gain from G-Sync.

We all confirmed - for 3D gaming, G-Sync is useless. I am only wondering, is 60FPS the minimum for a stereoscopic 3D, since I know that 60FPS is a minimum for Oculus Rift consumer product...

I might end up getting the Asus 120hz 1440p panel, but i am still not sure... I hope Asus can put somekind of 3D capability which is all i need...

We all confirmed - for 3D gaming, G-Sync is useless. I am only wondering, is 60FPS the minimum for a stereoscopic 3D, since I know that 60FPS is a minimum for Oculus Rift consumer product...

I might end up getting the Asus 120hz 1440p panel, but i am still not sure... I hope Asus can put somekind of 3D capability which is all i need...

AFAIK Oculus doesn't use stereoscopic 3D so it's frame rate is irrelevant  as far as the 3D is concern. (too an extend)

However, if nVidia can integrate G-Sync in 3D Vision, then the GPU can control the framerate so it's better than having VSync on.

The FPS is not so much important in stereoscopic 3D, the only thing is that the effective frame rate is halve, so if it's 30 then each eye sees 15 and can start to distinguish individual frame. nVidia wants 120Hz because PC master race.

AFAIK Oculus doesn't use stereoscopic 3D so it's frame rate is irrelevant  as far as the 3D is concern. (too an extend)

However, if nVidia can integrate G-Sync in 3D Vision, then the GPU can control the framerate so it's better than having VSync on.

The FPS is not so much important in stereoscopic 3D, the only thing is that the effective frame rate is halve, so if it's 30 then each eye sees 15 and can start to distinguish individual frame. nVidia wants 120Hz because PC master race.

This is why you need 60+ FPS on everything - 30FPS is no longer a minimum boundary - if you want 3D, aim at 60, not 30. For Oculus, yes it's not really stereoscopic, but you must have higher than 60FPS. As Palmer Luckey was saying, you need to be somewhere in between 60 FPS (at min) -120 FPS (recommended). For the stereoscopic 3D vision from Nvidia, below 60 you don't get good experience - i would rather be at 60+ with V-Sync than be at 30-60 with G-Sync. No thank you. I will put 2-way SLI if I have to, but be over 60FPS. No other choice, sorry.

That is why, when I aimed at 2 GTX 770s, they were not enough - seeing benchmarks ~140FPS halved is ~70FPS (because GPU rendering is 2 times of a frame) which again is kind of "risky" that the framerate will vary 60-70 in some situations in the game, and can easily go under 60, which i don't want. So, in that case, the only solution for me was 2 780s or 2 780TIs, which would be expensive. Well what was the other solution which i chose - wait for Maxwell 870 and get 2 on Black Friday so i can have same or more performance for the 3D gaming of GTX 790. Until then, looks like I will not be gaming at all with my GTS 250 :D

• 2 months later...

the ASUS PG278Q will be a 27 inch 1440p 3D Vision monitor. The monitor will be 144hz but may be only 120hz 3D vision compatible.

Well not really many use it, but for gaming 3D is actually perfect. However, as you said, VR will take over, however VR will be with 3D support so basically 3D will continue on VR (Oculus Rift) rather than monitors. On TVs, 3D isn't really much used, not many people can watch 3D, it can hurt. So on TVs, yes they do make it just to get more sales.

Also, you are right - to use those Hz, you need to hit the frame rate and the performance with video cards is lacking a lot. 

Is the Oculus supposed to have Nvidia 3D vision or will the GPU not matter?

Will all of you ROG people please tell me where ASUS said it would be 3D? Don't give me "he said she said" from two websites or a list of all the forums of possibly misinformed people. There will be no excuse for a lack of 3D even if only at 1080p so I understand everybody jumping to say yes.

I wish they would just make a 3D, IPS, full widescreen like the LG 34 (no height decrease), g-sync, 1440p or 4K monitor. I would give them every cent they asked for because I would no longer have to split money into different monitors with different features. At this point I am looking at a 4k samsung, an lg, and a benQ 144hz........... and I wanted three BenQ....

Will all of you ROG people please tell me where ASUS said it would be 3D? Don't give me "he said she said" from two websites or a list of all the forums of possibly misinformed people. There will be no excuse for a lack of 3D even if only at 1080p so I understand everybody jumping to say yes.

I wish they would just make a 3D, IPS, full widescreen like the LG 34 (no height decrease), g-sync, 1440p or 4K monitor. I would give them every cent they asked for because I would no longer have to split money into different monitors with different features. At this point I am looking at a 4k samsung, an lg, and a benQ 144hz........... and I wanted three BenQ....

If you look around the forums, a lot of people are aware that the Asus Swift PG278Q is be a 3D capable monitor and you will be able to run 1440p resolution at 3D. I was asking a week ago in EVGA, and the mod told me it's no problem, the only thing now that's in a discussion is will this monitor be able to run at 144Hz. However as I said, G-Sync can't be used for 3D vision, so u need V-Sync and 60FPS (and that won't be easy achievable on a 1440p monitor).

If you look around the forums, a lot of people are aware that the Asus Swift PG278Q is be a 3D capable monitor and you will be able to run 1440p resolution at 3D. I was asking a week ago in EVGA, and the mod told me it's no problem, the only thing now that's in a discussion is will this monitor be able to run at 144Hz. However as I said, G-Sync can't be used for 3D vision, so u need V-Sync and 60FPS (and that won't be easy achievable on a 1440p monitor).

I wanted an actual confirmation directly from ASUS. I want them to say that Nvidia 3D vision will work not the forums. 

I wanted an actual confirmation directly from ASUS. I want them to say that Nvidia 3D vision will work not the forums. 

Well read this, maybe uve seen it maybe no, but it's what its claimed that this monitor will offer. Also look at JJ's comments. He works at Asus. Also i don't remember, but he was in one of the videos of reviewers who made a first review for the ASUS' new Z97 motherboards....so yeah, you can trust that guy. If he says that 3D vision is possible on that monitor then means it.

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/01/pg278q-rog-swift-gaming-monitor-the-best-gaming-monitor/