Will my i5 be able to run this?

Go to solution Solved by RonnieOP,

Im not too familiar with VR. 

But your cpu does have a boost of 3.3. so maybe that would help. 

Why the index though? Isnt it $1k?.

Im out of the loop but what does it offer that would justify paying double what other vr setups cost?

Hello, 

I am thinking of buying a valve index for my PC.

Until now, I have only played mixed reality (which I thought was amazing) and seeing how a lot of people don't like mixed reality headsets and in general think they are of bad quality, I should absolutely love the index! So went and looked at the recommended specs and my pc was exactly at the border of recommended, I have a i5 6400 2.7GHz and a 1070. "Great!" I thought to myself. I decided to go look at my main interests in temrs of vr games. Boneworks and Half-life:Alyx. (Note that I have played games like pavlov solidly with my mixed reality headset before.)

And first off, boneworks. And there I was, scrolling down the store page for the game, sure of how my pc should handle this game when I saw the minimum processor specs. 3.0GHz. I immediately shat my pants in horror, everything else was fine but that scared me, the fact that, until now, never had I ever needed to deal with being outside of minimum specs, atleast with the games I play. Recommended settings not making me less anxious. And then I looked at half-life:Alyx minumum... "I5-7500? I'm fuckimg screwed aren't I? I thought to myself.

And that leads me to the reasoning of posting this. Will my pc be able to run atleast boneworks normally? I have 16 gb ram if I didn't say that earlier. I also got a 10.5 score out of the vr test but that doesn't mean much when you consider the minimum specs of the games. Reply if you guys need more specs of my pc to figure this out, thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english, I am not native to this language. I am also not good with computers so sorry if I left out any neccesary information.

❤️

Im out of the loop but what does it offer that would justify paying double what other vr setups cost?

No benchmarks so far, so no one can properly answer your question.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Can you help me with that? Like I said, I really am not good with that kind of stuff.

4 minutes ago, DeadFool said:

Can you help me with that? Like I said, I really am not good with that kind of stuff.

Ask again when the game's actually released and more testing are done on the hardware.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

41 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

(I accidentally double-posted, sorry)

16 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Ask again when the game's actually released and more testing are done on the hardware.

Okay, thank you! 

33 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Thank you for letting me know that! The index doubles the FPS standard for vr, previously, most headsets only ran up to 60 fps, so basically the index decreases the chances of motion sickness which I tend to struggle with. FOV also is larger. But I think the most impressive things are the controllers. They're cheap for what they're doing and since I don't have a compatible headset for those controllers yet, I am thinking of getting the index, as it is made for those controllers. But if you have a better idea, I am all ears.

51 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Also, like I said I really am not a computer guru, I know software, not hardware so I don't know how to boost my cpu, (by boost I guess you mean overclock which I still do not know how to do) if there was a video on how to do that, that would be great, thanks!

1 minute ago, DeadFool said:

Also, like I said I really am not a computer guru, I know software, not hardware so I don't know how to boost my cpu, (by boost I guess you mean overclock which I still do not know how to do) if there was a video on how to do that, that would be great, thanks!

Its an auto boost. If the cpu is capable of boosting to those speeds it will when needed. 

Make sure your cooling is decent.

18 minutes ago, DeadFool said:

Thank you for letting me know that! The index doubles the FPS standard for vr, previously, most headsets only ran up to 60 fps, so basically the index decreases the chances of motion sickness which I tend to struggle with. FOV also is larger. But I think the most impressive things are the controllers. They're cheap for what they're doing and since I don't have a compatible headset for those controllers yet, I am thinking of getting the index, as it is made for those controllers. But if you have a better idea, I am all ears.

Tbh im not a vr person.

The most i know about the index is that i honestly cant remember any tech youtuber or site really recommending it at that price.

I could be 100% wrong though. So just do a good bit of research before hand. 

I heard good things about the rift s at $500. But again im just going off what little i remember reading.

1 minute ago, DeadFool said:

Your processor has a locked multiplayer so overclocking isn't an option for you unfortunately. Is this system something you built yourself, or a prebuilt PC you upgraded with a newer video card? Instead of spending 1k on the Index you should consider upgrading your system first with the money you have saved. If you wait, you could probably get the Index a lot cheaper down the line. 

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Tbh im not a vr person.

The most i know about the index is that i honestly cant remember any tech youtuber or site really recommending it at that price.

I heard good things about the rift s at $500. But again im just going off what little i remember reading.

It's a good point actually. OP if you go with a cheaper VR headset, you have the funds for both. Now's the time to build PC's with all the sales going on.  

8 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Tbh im not a vr person.

LTT did a review of the Valve Index.

The Index is like a RTX 2080 Ti - it's not really the best in price to performance but it is the best hardware money can buy right now. The Index has a 120Hz screen with experimental 144 Hz, and one of the highest resolution displays on the market, and there is a lot of new technology in it.

9 hours ago, Founders said:

Your processor has a locked multiplayer so overclocking isn't an option for you unfortunately. Is this system something you built yourself, or a prebuilt PC you upgraded with a newer video card? Instead of spending 1k on the Index you should consider upgrading your system first with the money you have saved. If you wait, you could probably get the Index a lot cheaper down the line. 

Oh yeah, I am only thinking of buying the index somewhere in June. The system is sadly prebuilt and it looks like the only thing I can really upgrade is the ram, which, at 16gb, I already think is enough tbh.

Edit: my only real issue with the pc is the I5 which is flimsy with everything I do. I multitask a lot too, so that's a problem too. I got this pc as a present from a friend so I would feel bad to sell it, and even then, it has been 2 years since I got it so it would would be cheaper now. And the price for the upgraded model is 1k, has an i7, funnily enough. Still though, I can't really sell the PC out of respect to the person he gifted me all those happy times with this machine. I am looking for  a local IT guy who can help me with this stuff but I haven't had the luck to find one yet

Edited by DeadFool

Yeah,ike I said, I already have a decent headset, but I really want that "Next level experience" everyone keeps talking about, PC doesn't seem to be upgradable apart from the ram. It's prebuild so I'll try to find the exact specs or the product ID.

12 hours ago, Founders said:

It's a good point actually. OP if you go with a cheaper VR headset, you have the funds for both. Now's the time to build PC's with all the sales going on.  

I really am not sure how to do stuff like that. Too scared to mess someting up.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, RonnieOP said:

The i5-6400 turbos to 3.1 GHz in games using 4 cores. Best to just turn off turbo boost and manually clock it at 3.1 GHz in the BIOS and setup a fan curve. That's what I had to do with my i5 and it just does hit 60 degrees in high demanding games. Which is well under its max temp. No issues at all in 3 years to the day in 3 weeks.

Also, make sure to set your power plan to balanced in the Windows 10 settings and set the minimum and maximum processor state to 5% and 100%. This will let your CPU reach 3.1 GHz while gaming and use whatever speed it needs outside of gaming and so that it's not running at that 3.1 GHz at all times.

Also, the overclock from 2.7 GHz to 3.1 GHz is very noticeable. It's around a 13% increase in both speed and performance, depending on the game you're playing. Give or take of course.

My i5/1070 handles VR flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

The i5-6400 turbos to 3.1 GHz in games using 4 cores. Best to just turn off turbo boost and manually clock it at 3.1 GHz in the BIOS and setup a fan curve. That's what I had to do with my i5 and it just does hit 60 degrees in high demanding games. Which is well under its max temp. No issues at all in 3 years to the day in 3 weeks.

Also, make sure to set your power plan to balanced in the Windows 10 settings and set the minimum and maximum processor state to 5% and 100%. This will let your CPU reach 3.1 GHz while gaming and use whatever speed it needs outside of gaming and so that it's not running at that 3.1 GHz at all times.

Also, the overclock from 2.7 GHz to 3.1 GHz is very noticeable. It's around a 13% increase in both speed and performance, depending on the game you're playing. Give or take of course.

My i5/1070 handles VR flawlessly.

Thank you! I'll see what I can do. :)

On 11/29/2019 at 11:40 PM, Founders said:

Ok, I won't be doing anything now, of course. A decent pc would still cost atleast 1k even with the sales. I'll wait till easter time, when I actually have the money for that. :)

On 11/29/2019 at 11:40 PM, Founders said:

Thank you all for giving me all those tips! I have decided to build a pc! 

8 hours ago, DeadFool said:

Ok, I won't be doing anything now, of course. A decent pc would still cost atleast 1k even with the sales. I'll wait till easter time, when I actually have the money for that. :)

You will be able to reused alot of parts you already have.

Basically all you would need is a new cpu and mobo. and if you dont care about having the latest and greatest you could still have a very good build for under $200 easily.

22 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Basically all you would need is a new cpu and mobo.

What's wrong with an i5-6400/1070 combo? Unless 4K is involved, it's perfectly suited for 1440p.

50 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

What's wrong with an i5-6400/1070 combo? Unless 4K is involved, it's perfectly suited for 1440p.

I didnt say he had a horrible pc.

but the topic i was commenting on was instead of getting a 1k vr set he could get a cheaper vr set and upgrade his pc.

I was just telling him all he would need is a new cpu and motherboard. not an entire new build that would cost him the $1k he estimated.

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

didnt say he had a horrible pc. but the topic i was commenting on was instead of getting a 1k vr set he could get a cheaper vr set and upgrade his pc. I was just telling him all he would need is a new cpu and motherboard. not an entire new build that would cost him the $1k he estimated.

A cheaper VR set would be ideal but I'm letting him know that he actually doesn't need to upgrade his PC. He doesn't need a new CPU. Not sure of his motherboard but I have a basic B150 motherboard which is probably worse than his and it does everything I want it to do, as does the i5 and 1070. And as I mentioned, it runs VR games flawlessly.