Will my i5 be able to run this?

Go to solution Solved by RonnieOP,

Im not too familiar with VR. 

But your cpu does have a boost of 3.3. so maybe that would help. 

Why the index though? Isnt it $1k?.

Im out of the loop but what does it offer that would justify paying double what other vr setups cost?

57 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

A cheaper VR set would be ideal but I'm letting him know that he actually doesn't need to upgrade his PC. He doesn't need a new CPU. Not sure of his motherboard but I have a basic B150 motherboard which is probably worse than his and it does everything I want it to do, as does the i5 and 1070. And as I mentioned, it runs VR games flawlessly.

I never said that he has to upgrade anything.

Hes the one saying hes having issues with his current build for his needs and will eventually be upgrading.

Im not him. Idk what hes doing. But im not going to argue with him about the performance of his build for his needs.

Only thing i said was that he wouldnt need to spend $1k to upgrade his pc.

Im really confused as to what you are reading in this thread to make you think im telling him what he should or shouldnt do.

If you have the index and the same setup as him then let him know how it works for you. Putting words in my mouth doesnt help with any of his questions. 

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

I never said that he has to upgrade anything.

"Basically all you would need is a new cpu and mobo."

"he could get a cheaper vr set and upgrade his pc."

"I was just telling him all he would need is a new cpu and motherboard."

But im not going to argue with him about the performance of his build for his needs.

Me either.

Only thing i said was that he wouldnt need to spend $1k to upgrade his pc.

Impossible. As you've posted multiple statements.

Im really confused as to what you are reading in this thread to make you think im telling him what he should or shouldnt do.

The few statements you mentioned above.

If you have the index and the same setup as him then let him know how it works for you.

I have.

Putting words in my mouth doesnt help with any of his questions.

Not once did I do that. I'm here to help, as are you. I hope things we've both mentioned can help em' out. Especially since I have almost the exact same hardware as he does. I'm sharing my experience with said hardware so that he doesn't have to spend a dime outside of buying a VR set.

6 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

"he could get a cheaper vr set and upgrade his pc."

Me either.

Impossible. As you've posted multiple statements.

The few statements you mentioned above.

I have.

Not once did I do that. I'm here to help, as are you. I hope things we've both mentioned can help em' out. Especially since I have almost the exact same hardware as he does. I'm sharing my experience with said hardware so that he doesn't have to spend a dime outside of buying a VR set.

Me telling him what he "could do" is not me telling him what he "should do".

I asked him why he is looking at the index over cheaper options. Didnt tell him which to pick or not to pick. I specifically told him im not to familiar with vr. I was just asking him why he was looking at the index.

He said his current pc is giving him issues for his needs. And then he said it would cost $1k to build a new one. I told him he wouldnt have to upgrade everything. Just the mobo and cpu. It wasnt even me who said he could do vr and upgrade. 

Again i havent told him he should do anything.  Even the posts you quoted me is telling him what he could do not should. Big difference.

If someone says "itll cost me $1k for an engine for my car" and i tell him "you can find good used engines for $400". Thats not me telling him to buy an engine. Im just commenting on what the person says.

34 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Me telling him what he "could do" is not me telling him what he "should do".

Understandable. Thank you for clearing that up. However, it clears up one of the three statements.

But what about the other two statements? Which you basically repeated one statement twice...

Isn't would the past tense for will?

If you'd like to clear up any confusion on this subject(so we don't continue to argue off topic publicly), just message me directly. I'm more than happy to clear things up there.

If not, just don't respond to me. I'll understand. Whatever you decide, don't respond to this post here. It will just cause things we don't need and only me and you are necessary for the clearing up process. No reason to do it publicly. 

4 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Understandable. Thank you for clearing that up. However, it clears up one of the three statements.

But what about the other two statements? Which you basically repeated one statement twice...

Isn't would the past tense for will?

If you'd like to clear up any confusion on this subject(so we don't continue to argue off topic publicly), just message me directly. I'm more than happy to clear things up there.

If not, just don't respond to me. I'll understand. Whatever you decide, don't respond to this post here. It will just cause things we don't need.

if was wanting to upgrade his build all he would need is a new cpu and mobo. im just stating a fact. he has a gpu, case, psu, ddr4, ssd, hdd, etc already so if he wanted to upgrade he wouldnt need to spend $1k.

again thats not me telling him to upgrade or not. just that if he was to upgrade thats all he would need to do.  If he said he just wanted more threads i would say he "could" just buy a 6700/770k as well. but thats just me telling him what he oculd potentially do.

you even highlighted me saying "would" not me saying "should".

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

-snip-

If you'd like to clear up any confusion on this subject, just message me directly. I'm more than happy to clear things up there. If not, just don't respond to me. I'll understand. Whatever you decide, don't respond to this post here.

I already have a WMR, I went thr cheap way out last time. Instead of upgrading my pc alreadya year ago, I bought a WMR. I wasn't employed then and I didn't have any plans for gaming. I do now. And I have taken the decision to build a new pc in the coming year. 

10 hours ago, DeadFool said:

I have taken the decision to build a new pc in the coming year.

What's wrong with your current PC? Were you able to clock the i5 at 3.1 GHz via the BIOS?

This video shows the performance of your build in VR pretty much. It's just a random demo and not much to go on I know but an i5-6500 just clocks a little higher than an i5-6400. 0.2 GHz more to be precise.

Are you planning to game at 4K or something? Your current PC is fully capable of 1080p/1440p gaming as well as VR.

Bonewaroks has a minimum  requirement of a 4 core CPU at 3Ghz

Normally the i5 would be fine for VR but the 2 games in your tags (Boneworks and Half Life) are both going to make heavy use of Physics which is going to hit your CPU a lot harder than most VR games to date.

Since Boneworks comes out in just over a week you'll find out fairly soon if your CPU is going to be a problem or not.

1 hour ago, trufret said:

Bonewaroks has a minimum  requirement of a 4 core CPU at 3Ghz

The i5-6400 meets that requirement as it is a 4 core CPU and can be clocked at 3.1 GHz on stock cooling without issues.

Normally the i5 would be fine for VR but the 2 games in your tags (Boneworks and Half Life) are both going to make heavy use of Physics which is going to hit your CPU a lot harder than most VR games to date.

Customize the graphic settings and that issue is remedied. The WMR also has lower minimum specs than other VR sets.

Since Boneworks comes out in just over a week you'll find out fairly soon if your CPU is going to be a problem or not.

Yup. If either of them are cheap, I'll test them out.

• 3 weeks later...

While I am only using a Rift S as opposed to an Index, I am able to play bone works just fine on my laptop that has an i7-8750H (6 core, 12 thread, 2.1 GHz base clock, 4.1 Turbo).