Black Friday, time to upgrade?

emeril322

So I've been feeling it lately in my rig (most of it is about 9 years old, using an i2500k lol) and next week is Black Friday. Overall, how's the timing as far as potentially using the holiday to upgrade? Are there typically really good deals for computer components, or do they just mark down the junk no one wants?

Usually you get some really good deals on Newegg and all. Theres no telling what the deals will be so you just need to check the deals everyday from Black Friday through Cyber Monday, and make sure to look on BOTH your PC and your phone as mobile usually has different or exclusive offers from normal PC.

30 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

So I've been feeling it lately in my rig (most of it is about 9 years old, using an i2500k lol) and next week is Black Friday. Overall, how's the timing as far as potentially using the holiday to upgrade? Are there typically really good deals for computer components, or do they just mark down the junk no one wants?

Yes.  Considering your rig though the junk no one wants may not include you.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Saksham said:

good time to buy. AMD usually discounts heavily during holidays etc. to attract sales. 

are you looking for a full system upgrade or only a few parts?

they get you in with the great sales then you buy more then you should

24 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Usually you get some really good deals on Newegg and all. Theres no telling what the deals will be so you just need to check the deals everyday from Black Friday through Cyber Monday, and make sure to look on BOTH your PC and your phone as mobile usually has different or exclusive offers from normal PC.

just have to look around and know what the price is normally

29 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

you want to upgrade your i2500k system or get a whole new current up to date system

i need to test my emojis here

??

Upgrade your platform! AMD has released really compelling and powerful processors (they've managed to take the performance crown from Intel at this point), and it's a great time to upgrade, or buy new in general. There's usually pretty good deals on things people actually want.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Upgrade your platform! AMD has released really compelling and powerful processors (they've managed to take the performance crown from Intel at this point), and it's a great time to upgrade, or buy new in general. There's usually pretty good deals on things people actually want.

“Take” is arguable but iffy. The 3950x videos I’ve seen imply that it is took, but they won’t be released till the 25th so rumor says.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Be careful,while shopping online !!
Use some price -watching utilities (like AliRadar for AliExpres,or CamelCamel for Amazon),in order to find some real deals .

14 hours ago, Saksham said:

good time to buy. AMD usually discounts heavily during holidays etc. to attract sales. 

are you looking for a full system upgrade or only a few parts?

I dunno about going AMD, I've always been team blue....hmm

Considering how old my mobo/CPU/RAM is, I'll have to pretty much do a full system upgrade. Couldn't hurt to upgrade from my 4gb EVGA GTX 970 as well...

14 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

Wow that's really weird that they post different deals depending on what you're viewing on.... good tip! I wonder if a VPN has any effect as well?

13 hours ago, amdorintel said:

you want to upgrade your i2500k system or get a whole new current up to date system

Probably gonna do a full system upgrade (minus my PSU, an OCZ 850w full modular)

11 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

I dunno haha, I'm scared of going team red, no experience with it and the same goes for all my buddies. We've been loyal team blue for decade(s) at this point lol

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“Take” is arguable but iffy. The 3950x videos I’ve seen imply that it is took, but they won’t be released till the 25th so rumor says.  

I'm primarily a gamer, side note, so hows AMD stack up versus Intel when it comes to that?

9 hours ago, MuadDim said:

Be careful,while shopping online !!
Use some price -watching utilities (like AliRadar for AliExpres,or CamelCamel for Amazon),in order to find some real deals .

Hmm never heard of CamelCamel, but I use Honey which shows a trend of prices over a set amount of time for products

5 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

I dunno about going AMD, I've always been team blue....hmm
Considering how old my mobo/CPU/RAM is, I'll have to pretty much do a full system upgrade. Couldn't hurt to upgrade from my 4gb EVGA GTX 970 as well...

Wow that's really weird that they post different deals depending on what you're viewing on.... good tip! I wonder if a VPN has any effect as well?

Probably gonna do a full system upgrade (minus my PSU, an OCZ 850w full modular)

I dunno haha, I'm scared of going team red, no experience with it and the same goes for all my buddies. We've been loyal team blue for decade(s) at this point lol

I'm primarily a gamer, side note, so hows AMD stack up versus Intel when it comes to that?
Hmm never heard of CamelCamel, but I use Honey which shows a trend of prices over a set amount of time for products

I could understand why y'all are team blue for the last decade. AMD has been either playing catch up or a bit behind in higher end products for gamers.

I do agree it's a little behind in gaming, but if you ever want to stream, or do production work, it's quite a bit faster. Plus, it produces less heat, the boards are (usually) cheaper, and you get a more solid upgrade path. Just this generation alone, you can go up to 16 cores with the Ryzen 9 3950X on the AM4 boards, assuming your VRMs are good enough to handle one. It also doesn't have the same security vulnerabilities that Intel processors do.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I would say that AMD has a serious disadvantage in core/thread quality, but they are willing to put more of em on a CPU for the same price which makes up the difference. Number of available threads is getting more and more important for gaming though, and intel’s habit of locking out multithread on some of their CPUs is starting to bite them.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

I could understand why y'all are team blue for the last decade. AMD has been either playing catch up or a bit behind in higher end products for gamers.

I do agree it's a little behind in gaming, but if you ever want to stream, or do production work, it's quite a bit faster. Plus, it produces less heat, the boards are (usually) cheaper, and you get a more solid upgrade path. Just this generation alone, you can go up to 16 cores with the Ryzen 9 3950X on the AM4 boards, assuming your VRMs are good enough to handle one. It also doesn't have the same security vulnerabilities that Intel processors do.

I don't really stream, but I will have YouTube and/or another video streaming on my second monitor with a game running (sometimes 2, depending on what I'm playing). Are there any compatibility issues or anything like that when it comes to AMD vs Intel? I honestly have no first hand experience with team red haha.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I would say that AMD has a serious disadvantage in core/thread quality, but they are willing to put more of em on a CPU for the same price which makes up the difference. Number of available threads is getting more and more important for gaming though, and intel’s habit of locking out multithread on some of their CPUs is starting to bite them.

Hmm the ol' quantity-vs-quality debate? Makes deciding tough lol. I still have to figure out approx what my price range is for the CPU anyways. I'm probably thinking $1000 for the whole upgrade, and I won't be needing an HDD (though I wouldn't mind an SSD finally) nor a PSU.

10 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

I don't really stream, but I will have YouTube and/or another video streaming on my second monitor with a game running (sometimes 2, depending on what I'm playing). Are there any compatibility issues or anything like that when it comes to AMD vs Intel? I honestly have no first hand experience with team red haha.

Hmm the ol' quantity-vs-quality debate? Makes deciding tough lol. I still have to figure out approx what my price range is for the CPU anyways. I'm probably thinking $1000 for the whole upgrade, and I won't be needing an HDD (though I wouldn't mind an SSD finally) nor a PSU.

So 1kUS for CPU/mobo/ram.  Hmmm... on the edge.  

this would be a problem well solved by pcpartpicker but it seems to be messed up at the moment, probably due to Black Friday sales.

Youve got the cash to make an Intel 9900k system worth building I think, but I have no data.

i would not under any circumstances buy a chip with less than 12 threads though if you want it to remain useful over time.  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So 1kUS for CPU/mobo/ram.  Hmmm... on the edge.  

this would be a problem well solved by pcpartpicker but it seems to be messed up at the moment, probably due to Black Friday sales.

Youve got the cash to make an Intel 9900k system worth building I think, but I have no data.

Maybe also GPU? Not entirely sure, I currently have a 4gb EVGA GTX 970

1 minute ago, emeril322 said:

So do I. Even my poorly overclocked 4770k overpowers it.  I will have to replace it and soon I think.  So GPU in that 1k too?  Now you’re in AMD territory.  Still don’t have pcpartpicker to check though.

16 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

Nope, except that AMD CPUs really prefer higher speed RAM (DDR4-3000, 3200 or 3600 are recommended). Same x86-64 architecture as Intel chips.

It's usually below a 10% difference in FPS, and you get a better upgrade path and better performance elsewhere. Personally, I'd choose it but it's really up to your personal priorities.

SSDs are cheap nowadays. You'll want one.

6 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

I'd wait it out personally until next year's NVIDIA 3000 series/AMD Navi 2x launch.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

I'd wait it out personally until next year's NVIDIA 3000 series/AMD Navi 2x launch.

Wait on upgrading entirely? Or wait on upgrading my GPU?

Just now, emeril322 said:

Wait on upgrading entirely? Or wait on upgrading my GPU?

Just the GPU. It's already a great time to upgrade platforms, but for GPUs, the rumours are actually looking good for once.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Just the GPU. It's already a great time to upgrade platforms, but for GPUs, the rumours are actually looking good for once.

What's your take on AMD vs Intel then? Considering I'm at $1000 USD, and needing; CPU, Mobo, RAM, SSD

5 hours ago, emeril322 said:

What's your take on AMD vs Intel then? Considering I'm at $1000 USD, and needing; CPU, Mobo, RAM, SSD

I'd take the AMD over the Intel chip for a better upgrade path, not that much worse gaming performance, better performance everywhere else, lack of the Intel security flaws, and the less heat.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, I have both a Intel and AMD laptop, and a Intel desktop.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

I'd take the AMD over the Intel chip for a better upgrade path, not that much worse gaming performance, better performance everywhere else, lack of the Intel security flaws, and the less heat.

And before anyone calls me a fanboy, I have both a Intel and AMD laptop, and a Intel desktop.

Upgrade path may be the same.  AMD promised Am4 till 2020 only, the end of which is barely 2 months away.  Better “everywhere else” performance only happens when thread counts are not the same.  At that level a 9900k doesn’t compete with a 3900x, it competes with a 3800x, which it crushes at everything.  Dollar for dollar is where AMD makes good.  It’s 8/16 CPUs competes dollar wise with intel 6/12 or 8/8

17 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

Better upgrade path?

22 hours ago, emeril322 said:

There no GPU, or power or periperals.  That’s generally well more than half of a machine which makes this a more like over 2k machine.  There’s a good argument for top end intel.  Even Their midrange stuff is short on threads.  Their CPUs are expensive, but the motherboards and ram are cheaper.  Top end  AMD costs the same.  More threads, lower per core clocks, more expensive mother boards and ram.  They have a new top end CPU coming out supposedly in the 25th that has even more threads and better if still sub 5ghz clocks.  It’s $750 apparently though which is actually over your budget despite its height.

9900k for 16 threads or throw in another benjamin or two for the 3950x 32 thread that should drop soon.

20 minutes ago, emeril322 said:

Better upgrade path?

On the current Intel socket, you go to the i9 9900K and there's nothing you can really upgrade to. Next year's Comet Lake is rumoured to be on a new socket.

On the current AM4 socket, assuming you start at the R7 3700X, you can upgrade to this year's R9 3900X and 3950X (12C/24T, 16C/32T), and AMD will likely support the existing socket until DDR5 comes into the mainstream. Which means you'll likely also get an upgrade path from next year's chips and maybe the year after that.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

5 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

On the current Intel socket, you go to the i9 9900K and there's nothing you can really upgrade to. Next year's Comet Lake is rumoured to be on a new socket.

On the current AM4 socket, assuming you start at the R7 3700X, you can upgrade to this year's R9 3900X and 3950X (12C/24T, 16C/32T), and AMD will likely support the existing socket until DDR5 comes into the mainstream. Which means you'll likely also get an upgrade path from next year's chips and maybe the year after that.

I was told AM4 is possibly the same way though.  It goes till 2020 but no commitment after that.

”likely” is a wager.

its a better one than intel.  That one is already a hard “no”