How often do you use function keys?

gloop

Hello LTT,

I’m buying a new keyboard and have been looking at TKL ones. My only concern is that TKL keyboards don’t have any function keys (F1, F2 etc). I’m mainly using this keyboard for programming and am looking for help.

Do programmers use function keys a lot? Should I switch out the TKL that I currently have decided on for a full one?

Thanks!

Edit: Meant 60%, not TKL

5 minutes ago, gloop said:

Hello LTT,

I’m buying a new keyboard and have been looking at TKL ones. My only concern is that TKL keyboards don’t have any function keys (F1, F2 etc). I’m mainly using this keyboard for programming and am looking for help.

Do programmers use function keys a lot? Should I switch out the TKL that I currently have decided on for a full one?

Thanks!

it all depends on your workflow and IDE. I personally prefer a full keyboard since the numpad comes in handy in my particular workflow.

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

A lot of editors I've used (outside of terminal based ones) typically bind Find/Find Next and Jump to Definition to one of the F keys. For example in VS Code, F3 is for searching and F12 is for finding the definition. But other than that, I don't really use the F-keys.

Depends on the individual.  I know only old programmers.  Some of them like them but use them for macros.  Some don’t like macros and don’t use them at all.  The guys I know all work on old stuff though so there may be no pertinence.

It may depend on what language you are using and what text editor you are writing in.  These things tend to change.

two things I have noticed about old programmers:  they all have carpal tunnel problems for too much keyboard use, so they swap keyboards a lot to change hand angle, and they all like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like.

od say it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Quite a lot actually. I'm in IT and if you're on here I can assume you dabble a bit. Ever alt+ f4? Ever need to hard reload a page? Get into Bios? Also, you may still have function keys hidden under an alt FN. I've used an Planck keyboard before and they get a lot of use that way. FN + 1 = F1 etc.

Just now, ManyCoresGuy said:

it all depends on your workflow and IDE. I personally prefer a full keyboard since the numpad comes in handy in my particular workflow.

I have had a full sized keyboard ATM and I don’t use the numpad. I’ll be doing game programming, either Unity or UE4

Just now, gloop said:

I have had a full sized keyboard ATM and I don’t use the numpad. I’ll be doing game programming, either Unity or UE4

Ever consider something in the realm of a a 60-65% keyboard?

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

Well like i said, it all depends. i find the numpad very handy when i want to type up arithmetic in my code.

Main Workhorse:-

Dual Xeon E5-2687W v3 | SuperMicro X10DAi Dual Socket Workstation Board | 64GB ECC DDR4 2400Mhz | Intel DC Series 500GB SSD | EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X | Seagate 7200rpm 2TB | SuperMicro Gold Series 1Kw PSU | SuperMicro EATX Chassis | LG Ultrawide 34inch 75hz | LG 1080p 22inch IPS 75hz | Ubuntu 19.10 x64 |

Server:-

Dual Xeon E5-2680 v1  | SuperMicro X9DRW-3LN4F+ Server Board | 64GB ECC DDR3 1600Mhz | 7 x Intel DC Series 500GB SSD's | SuperMicro SuperChasis SC119TQ-R700WB 1U | Redundant 450w Gold rated PSU's | ESXi 6.7

Laptop:-

2018 15 inch Apple Macbook Pro Touchbar with 16GB Memory and 256GB NVMe

Just now, ManyCoresGuy said:

Well like i said, it all depends. i find the numpad very handy when i want to type up arithmetic in my code.

I might get a separate numpad later on. I just find it more natural reaching up to the row of numbers. Everyone to their own, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Mbowen said:

Ever consider something in the realm of a a 60-65% keyboard?

Actually meant 60% keyboard in original post, changed it.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on the individual.  I know only old programmers.  Some of them like them but use them for macros.  Some don’t like macros and don’t use them at all.  The guys I know all work on old stuff though so there may be no pertinence.

It may depend on what language you are using and what text editor you are writing in.  These things tend to change.

two things I have noticed about old programmers:  they all have carpal tunnel problems for too much keyboard use, so they swap keyboards a lot to change hand angle, and they all like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like.

od say it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Ok, thanks!

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

A lot of editors I've used (outside of terminal based ones) typically bind Find/Find Next and Jump to Definition to one of the F keys. For example in VS Code, F3 is for searching and F12 is for finding the definition. But other than that, I don't really use the F-keys.

Thanks for the help!

The function keys are often used in debuggers for "step over", "step into", etc. You'll probably spend a lot of time in a debugger so ...

Ok, have been researching and have found 75% keyboards. These have the function row but retain the compact look. Thanks fo everyone’s help!

As others said, TKL still has F-keys.

Which is actually exactly why I have not switched to 60% yet!

The numpad is something I use occasionally, so I just have some simple pad next to my main board.

The F key I used the most is F5 to refresh a webpage. Alt F4/Ctrl F4 is an often used combo too..

In programming I often used F9 and F10 in Vidual Studio, to set a breakpoint and to traverse the program step-by-step.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

As others said, TKL still has F-keys.

Which is actually exactly why I have not switched to 60% yet!

The numpad is something I use occasionally, so I just have some simple pad next to my main board.

The F key I used the most is F5 to refresh a webpage. Alt F4/Ctrl F4 is an often used combo too..

In programming I often used F9 and F10 in Vidual Studio, to set a breakpoint and to traverse the program step-by-step.

Sorry, meant to say 60% keyboard in post. If I can’t find any 75% keyboards that seem to suit me, I’ll definitely go TKL.

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

Sorry, meant to say 60% keyboard in post. If I can’t find any 75% keyboards that seem to suit me, I’ll definitely go TKL.

Keep in mind with 75% you will have sort of a weird sized keyboard, mainly the keycap sizes on the bottom right.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In Windows? Rarely. In Linux? Constantly.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 hours ago, gloop said:

Do programmers use function keys a lot?

I know I do. Cmd/Ctrl/Alt/Shift+F6 (in various combinations) to rename stuff in IntelliJ, Alt+F7 to follow references, F7,F8,F9 while debugging, Alt+F4 to close stuff. F2 to rename e.g. in VS Code, F8,F10,F11 to debug in Chrome/Firefox. Back when I was using Eclipse Ctrl+F1.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 hours ago, Sauron said:

In Windows? Rarely. In Linux? Constantly.

Looking to do 50/50 in Windows/Linux, so thanks for the info!

11 minutes ago, gloop said:

Looking to do 50/50 in Windows/Linux, so thanks for the info!

Unlike Windows, most Linux distributions allow you to remap keyboard shortcuts as you wish - I like to use function keys for a bunch of things but if you don't then you can map your shortcuts to whatever you want.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 11/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Ive always used ctrl f for local and ctrl shift f for repo searching.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 11/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, Sauron said:

Unlike Windows, most Linux distributions allow you to remap keyboard shortcuts as you wish - I like to use function keys for a bunch of things but if you don't then you can map your shortcuts to whatever you want.

What do you mean "unlike windows"? You can map any key to do anything you want in Windows. 

10 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

What do you mean "unlike windows"? You can map any key to do anything you want in Windows. 

Can you show me how to map Super+Shift+<n> to move the current window to virtual desktop <n> without clunky third party tools? Or F12 to open a powershell window?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*