petition to unite RGB

LinuxGameGeek

RGB  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of multiple RGB programs running in the background?

Just now, straight_stewie said:

I did. The "Big 3" that I refer to are:

• Asus Aura
  • Gigabyte RGB Fusion
  • MSI Mystic Light Sync

Nah, the big 3 are Asus, Corsair & MSI. Gigabyte barely scratch the surface compared to these 3.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

19 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14191859

Besides, I have lighting in mine for me. If anyone else likes it, that's a bonus

And I don’t have lighting in mine.  Also for me. And as a courtesy to anyone who might come to my house.

“Or” the way you are defining it isn’t a scenario, At least until people start putting lit non functional RGB PCs in their houses as “art” or something.  That’s probably already happened.  Perhaps I’m giving humanity too much credit.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I honestly cannot say I disagree with a single word of anything you said here.

Unfortunately the ideal and reality are usually very far removed from each other.

Here's an example. Why didn't you include Gigabyte in the list on companies that control RGB? They're just as well known as Asus & MSI when it comes to boards. the answer is greed. When RGB was still fairly new Gigabyte decided to ditch the only standard piece of RGB, the 3 pin connector, and swap it for a 4 pin connector with one pin blanked out. The 3 wires did the exact same thing as the standard 3 pin cables do, you can convert between them easily yet they still decided to change the connector. The reason? They claimed its so users couldn't get the cable reversed but in reality it meant Gigabyte branded accessories could only fit Gigabyte boards without a converter. The result, no one bought any Gigabyte branded RGB stuff. In the end they started supplying converters with some boards. I believe these days they use the standard 3 pin for RGB and 4 pin for ARGB.

One correction though, no company is ever required to work with any other company. They do it when its mutually beneficial and will ditch each other so fast as soon as it isn't.

I;m actually fairly certain Apple with soon do an AMD Mac Pro. After years of Intel exclusivity, now Intel have lost the workstation crown Apple will jump ship as soon as its possible. Hackers have already done most of the hard work for them.

They may jump somewhere.  AMD isn’t the only choice they have.  OSX is a BSD variant. It’s more platform independent than Linux is.  There are indications they’ve wanted to jump for some time.  They were developing their own CPU for a while.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I use aura so I feel that I can use a lot of stuff. However, I feel that asus should let third parties be able to use aura on gpus and accessories (mice, keyboards) so that there can be a lot more options.

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh I don’t.  I’m not even trying to stop other people from buying them, though I reserve the right to point and laugh.

what is irritating is when I can’t not get RGB, or when I am forced to pay for an RGB controller in some way, like having one run by default eating my processor cycles in the background.

I can't think of a time where you can't get a non-RGB component.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

You act as if you're the paragon of humanity yourself.

Oh I’m by no means the best of us.  Not even top half.  I like to hope not the worst.  That may merely be pride though.

Your phrase is interesting though: “you act as if..”  I suppose it may have been judgy to face palm on someone who keeps a lit but unusable RGB case in their house.  I can get very arrogant about art theory.  It’s a sort of professional conceit I guess.  I trained as a designer but also a fine artist and conceit is all fine artists have.  Making fun of concrete lawn ornaments has been something of a life long pursuit.  Back when I was in school the very lowest insult you could level at another work was to call it “hallmark”.  There are real artists that put real effort into case design.  I am aware that ID is harder than fine art.  You have to do more with less, and on top of that it has to work.  It’s hard.

Im not denigrating case or component design.  I’m denigrating the whole table lamp thing.

I get that some kid who drops 2 months of paycheck on a rig is going to want to go “look what I bought!!”  They can even do it in lights.  What annoys me is I DONT want to do it in lights. I really don’t want to be forced to do it in lights, and I most very especially don’t want to have someone do a push poll to make it look like I do.

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I can't think of a time where you can't get a non-RGB component.

It’s happened to me several times.  Usually with fans, memory, and GPUs. I’ve been shopping on and off for a new rig, which means these days AM4  Unlighted memory is available but it’s half again as much.  For a fan I can pay the extra $5-10 for the unlighted version.  GPUs are hard though.  I want a higher end quiet card and they all seem to have lighted logos.  I’m going to have to resort to gaffers tape or something I guess.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s happened to me several times.  Usually with fans, memory, and GPUs. I’ve been shopping on and off for a new rig, which means these days AM4  Unlighted memory is available but it’s half again as much.  For a fan I can pay the extra $5-10 for the unlighted version.  GPUs are hard though.  I want a higher end quiet card and they all seem to have lighted logos.  I’m going to have to resort to gaffers tape or something I guess.

That's the thing though. There are easily other options for you to choose. There are dozens of non-RGB fans that are excellent. Same with memory. Same with GPUs.

"half again as much"? I have no idea what you mean by that.

Video cards definitely have fewer options, but it's not impossible to find ones without RGB.

And, again, you can simply turn it off.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

That's the thing though. There are easily other options for you to choose. There are dozens of non-RGB fans that are excellent. Same with memory. Same with GPUs.

"half again as much"? I have no idea what you mean by that.

Video cards definitely have fewer options, but it's not impossible to find ones without RGB.

And, again, you can simply turn it off.

I shop sales and I shop specs.  The stuff on sale is or was when I was looking RGB. The stuff not on sale wasnt.  I was specifically thinking of trying to get some 3600mhz cas 16. The trident skill lighted gaming stuff was so much cheaper than the next offering with similar specs that I couldn’t justify not buying it.  I wound up buying nothing.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I shop sales and I shop specs.  The stuff on sale is or was when I was looking RGB. The stuff not on sale wasnt.  I was specifically thinking of trying to get some 3600mhz cas 16. The trident skill lighted gaming stuff was so much cheaper than the next offering with similar specs that I couldn’t justify not buying it.  I wound up buying nothing.

So, yes, you have options to buy non-RGB products, you just chose not to. Exactly my point.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So, yes, you have options to buy non-RGB products, you just chose not to. Exactly my point.

“Options”? Sort of.   They exist. They apparently cost more for similar performance. A price slope I find myself unwilling to pay.  Apparently I’m not rich enough to have a not annoying computer.  Like the street musician that plays badly until you pay him to go away.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on an open source RGB control app for Windows and Linux.  My goal is to support as many systems as I can to unify the RGB mess.  I currently support Asus Aura motherboards and RAM, Corsair Vengeance RGB/Pro RGB, HyperX RGB RAM, and a handful of other partially supported devices including Gigabyre RGB Fusion 1.0 motherboards and ASRock motherboards.  I would like to support more!

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB.

A lot of people have a very "boomer-ish" stance on RGB.

When done right it allows for easy customization.  "You mean I don't have to leave my PC boring black if I don't want to?"
Some people like the rainbow, I like the ability to set everything to orange.  If you like it just black, turn it off or don't buy RGB parts.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just a question, how many RGB things is actually RGBW?

Aka as in having its own led for actual white.

Because, using R, G, and B to emulate white is not actually white and can look weird, not totally white. I guess many people don't notice but I do.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

imho they should just use USB

They could have one or several 7 port USB 2.0 hub on the motherboard and use 2.0mm pitch or 1.27mm pitch headers instead of the regular 0.1" (2.54mm pitch) headers to use less space on board.

The 1A of current on 5v for these headers is good enough for both the fan AND the leds  ... it would only cost a few cents more as they'd need to add a boost regulator inside the fan to step-up 5v to 12v for the fan motor, and you'd have a controller chip that's a few cents more expensive if they need to "talk" through usb and accept commands, but on the other hand you'd have only a 4pin or 5 pin connector (keyed to prevent insertion the wrong way).

Alternatively, especially with custom new header (to prevent people inserting regular usb into the headers) they could make a custom standard with usb as starting point but use 12v instead of 5v. The data pins can remain 5v max, and you only need a 1-2 cents ldo inside the fan for the controller, which probably already exists for the led driver.

They could reuse the data pins to output rpm speed, to accept new rpm (receive 0..100% or 0..255 instead of a pwm signal), you could use the usb data to give any software information about the rgb-ness.

Ex the fan reports it's a "fan device" and a separate "light device / rgb device"

if queried by software it can say i have this many rgb leds, or it can say if it's single color or not, if it's rgbw or rgb - it could be just two colors, or red amber blue or some other mix -  how many brightness levels it can handle, how the rgb leds are arranged (if in a circle or a pattern), order in which they light up (optional, maybe if it helps make waterfall effects or other effects), fan could also report its default curve (how fast it spins at various percentages, how much noise it makes at various percentages... all kinds of info about the fan which could be used by software to visually show all the fans on the screen and do a preview of the effects.

Also think  AIO coolers with 3 fans ... instead of having 6 cables (3 for fan headers, 3 for leds) you would have 3 usb connectors going into a tiny 3-4 port usb hub and from there a single USB cable to the motherboardand maybe power cable going to a SATA connector if the usb connector isn't doubled (for more current capability)

then through the software, you could control either all or individual leds and so on ... the default polling rate is 125 hz but usb allows up to 1000 hz , so you could update the rgb up to 1000 times a second.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, Bombastinator said:

... and make them get off my lawn!

seriously though, For people who do not consider PCs show pieces RGB is literally a disadvantage.  People can have it, but I don’t want overhead for it forced onto my machine.

Its impossible for the overhead to be forced on you though. Since you dont have to buy rgb anything and dont have to enable rgb ever. 

Having a uniformed standard wouldnt help users who dont like rgb but it also wouldnt hurt them either. 

18 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Its impossible for the overhead to be forced on you though. Since you dont have to buy rgb anything and dont have to enable rgb ever. 

Having a uniformed standard wouldnt help users who dont like rgb but it also wouldnt hurt them either. 

True.  I did vote for it.  This is a very old thread and the title has changed completely.  My comment no longer has anything to do with the topic.  There was also no poll originally.  It was originally a plea about how awesome RGB was.  Fairly disingenuous behavior on the part of the poster IMHO.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

True.  I did vote for it.  This is a very old thread and the title has changed completely.  My comment no longer has anything to do with the topic.  There was also no poll originally.  It was originally a plea about how awesome RGB was.  Fairly disingenuous behavior on the part of the poster IMHO.

Ah i didnt see that it was later edited. No worries 

As much as I'd love a unified and open RGB standard I don't see it happen any time soon. Manufacturers like closed ecosystems so they can force users to buy their products. As it has already been mentioned the closest thing to a unified standard would be Asus Aura Sync as there are a lot of compatible products from third party manufacturers out there. When I built my PC I did some research and decided to get an Asus mainboard, then I went from there picking only RGB parts that support Asus Aura Sync. But the only components that are actually manufactured by Asus are the graphics card plus a RGB LED strip. The AIO on the other hand is from Deepcool and the fans from Sharkoon. They all sync very well and the software has become better over time, especially with the latest BIOS update for my mainboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming).

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?

Wheres the vote to get rid of RGB?

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit