Modding an Android device in 2019 is still advantageous?

mofi345

I've been an android modder since 2013, started with a Samsung S4 Mini, and every android phone I had since was rooted / modded in some form.
Last year I modded a Motorola Moto Z2 Play, with all the problems that now root and other mods causes, safetynet issues, netflix doesn't work, games like pokemon go doesn't work neither.
Now I am with a Xiaomi Mi 9 everything left on stock, being my first phone without a mod, making me out of the picture of the Android Modding world.
What's your opinion about Android Modding today in general? Do you still mod your device in 2019 with all the problems that causes? That was only a problem of mine or do you encountered similar problems?

2 minutes ago, mofi345 said:

I've been an android modder since 2013, started with a Samsung S4 Mini, and every android phone I had since was rooted / modded in some form.
Last year I modded a Motorola Moto Z2 Play, with all the problems that now root and other mods causes, safetynet issues, netflix doesn't work, games like pokemon go doesn't work neither.
Now I am with a Xiaomi Mi 9 everything left on stock, being my first phone without a mod, making me out of the picture of the Android Modding world.
What's your opinion about Android Modding today in general? Do you still mod your device in 2019 with all the problems that causes? That was only a problem of mine or do you encountered similar problems?

You have been doing it wrong then. I have been rooting my devices the day I get them and as long as you dont just straight up flash supersu.zip getting past safety.net is easy. Widewine is a bigger problem but you usually get SD quality without any issues. I absolutely fucking hate MIUI. I recently got myself a Mi A3 just because I am just sick and tired of Samsung, LG and pretty much every other Android OEMs and their lack of fucks about their users. I wont be rooting or unlocking the bootloader on this phone as I need complete data encryption. I am all for modding and rooting, I just wish every OEM let users unlock their bootloader.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Assuming you're using one of the larger, non-niche mods. Safetynet, netflix, and pokemon go shouldn't have any issues. I run LineageOS with Magisk modules and have had no issues with any apps. Phones with niche features (moto mods, secondary screens, etc) may have issues with their additional hardware, but even those have unofficial Lineage builds and can be worked around.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I have to admit I've never been a big fan of rooting/modding, and these days moreso.  You don't 'need' it as much, there can be security and battery/performance issues... and let's be honest, unless you're overcoming some general limitation in Android, you're basically admitting that you shouldn't have bought the phone you did.  If you really don't like a phone's stock firmware but buy it anyway, you're still rewarding a bad decision.

3 hours ago, mofi345 said:

Oh boy, here we go XD
My first phone was a Verizon locked Galaxy S6 and I remember when I discovered the rooting and modding scene, too bad my locked S6 was basically unrootable at the time. Once my S6 screen broke I got an S5 that was somewhat rootable and started experimenting with magisk/Xposed but have always been put off by SafetyNet not working with Xposed.

However, this all changed with my LG G6 which was bootloader unlocked. I used it 100% with a custom rom and magisk root (Xposed didn't exist for pie yet)
I now have a Note9 with the stock ROM (OneUI actually isn't that bad) and Magisk/EdXposed, everything I care about still works (minus samsung pay), Google Pay, Pokemon Go, SafetyNet all works. If you have a phone with an unlocked bootloader it is pretty easy to keep nearly all functionality while still having all the benefits of Xposed and Root.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- GPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB
RAM: 32GB @ 4800 MTs

Storage: OEM 1TB M.2
Display: Main 1800p@120Hz OLED + Screnpad Plus 2880x864@120Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1