Power Supply Good Enough for new PC?

TouchOfThorn

Could a SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified power this PC that im building?

Specs:

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card

Following @LukeSavenije it's not worth it, there's much better units out there

Have you already ordered any of these parts? There's quite a few changes I'd make

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Following @LukeSavenije it's not worth it, there's much better units out there

Have you already ordered any of these parts? There's quite a few changes I'd make

No i havent ordered anything yet, suggestions would be appreciated

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

ok thanks for the suggestions, ill probably make some of those changes

Buys overpriced shitty board and tries to save up on PSU...

There's no issue with an i7 9700K build specially if your main goal is just gaming since the 3700X falls behind on that aspect but do a better research on the z390 chipset as a whole.

Alternatively you could go with Slottr's suggestion but replace the board for the cheaper Prime-P (has the same vrm as the TUF) and a ryzen 5 3600 as it has the same gaming potential of the 3700X and then shift this money you saved into the 2080 Super for better gaming performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you are buying new PSU why would you opt for an old design PSU like this seasonic? Also never skimp on PSU, the 20-30 dollar difference is 2% of the price of your PC,that's nothing. 

3 hours ago, Slottr said:

Following @LukeSavenije it's not worth it

that sums it up, even leaving some other things out of the way

the problem with m12ii evo (based off the famous s12ii), but group regulated units in general is that it isn't made for modern systems, because they didn't have those in mind at the time

as the 12v gets hit well with this kind of system, while the 5v stays rather low, the 5v rises to an out-of-spec level as they're regulated together (hence the "group" reg name)

with that the s12ii has no UVP on the 12v rail, making it easier to drop down until either OPP or SCP detects it.

something like that rmx would work quite well, but i saw a similar psu for 10 bucks less: bitfenix whisper

both from cwt, just a different platform, as corsair did a custom on it

5 hours ago, Slottr said:

Here's something more balanced

Btw, a silicon power A80 or team MP34 costs $5 less but is much faster.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

15 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Btw, a silicon power A80 or team MP34 costs $5 less but is much faster.

Yeah, I was just lazy and left the SSD they already had in there haha 

Well, to answer your question regarding the PSU, I would suggest you to aim for 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU. RTX2070 Super do consume a good deal of power. You can still use 550W PSU just fine, though if you plan to add more cooling (fan, radiators, pump), it may overload the PSU.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, to answer your question regarding the PSU, I would suggest you to aim for 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU. RTX2070 Super do consume a good deal of power. You can still use 550W PSU just fine, though if you plan to add more cooling (fan, radiators, pump), it may overload the PSU.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14586/geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2060-super-review/15 314w with a 9900k and 2070 super with furmark. 550w is more than enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

19 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14586/geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2060-super-review/15 314w with a 9900k and 2070 super with furmark. 550w is more than enough.

Yeah, but what if you want to OC? And when you are OCing, you need a good cooler, and that means adding fans and maybe a pump for liquid cooling. I'm not sure about you, but I still use many traditional HDD to store my archives, so that adds a bit (25W per HDD). Like I said, it 'may overload the PSU', though not necessary. When you factor these additional things, you may find 550W PSU is just enough for your system.

By the way, having a higher PSU means he can upgrade his system without ever worrying about PSU in the future. Let's say he wants to upgrade to RTX2080 Ti in the next couple of months. He might need to upgrade his PSU too if his PSU could not churn the power for all the components.

Also, Higher Wattage PSU generate less heat because their load is low. If you compare 450W PSU and 750W PSU, and your max load is 400W, you'll notice 450W PSU gets warmer than 750W PSU because the 450W PSU load is higher (about 80%) whereas 750W PSU is only at about half load and it can stays cooler.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I changed a couple things to the list Slottr made for you. Changed the PSU to the slightly cheaper 650w BitFenix Whisper M that's actually a A+ tier PSU compared to the A tier RMx (not much of a difference in real-world but it's more watts and cheaper while still being 80+ Gold and Fully-Modular) and changed the SSD to the EX920 which is a NVMe m.2 compared to the SATA m.2 drive on your list.

Also, you can buy everything off of Amazon (GPU is $30 more though, unless you go back to the Gigabyte Windforce) when they re-stock on the 15th if you want all your parts to arrive at the same time (who likes waiting for the one vital part of their build?)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.57 @ Amazon)
Total: $1443.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-10 22:31 EST-0500

If you have any questions, just ask. If you see any problems with my list, please tell me and I'll make sure to use your suggestions for future lists

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah, but what if you want to OC? And when you are OCing, you need a good cooler, and that means adding fans and maybe a pump for liquid cooling. I'm not sure about you, but I still use many traditional HDD to store my archives, so that adds a bit (25W per HDD). Like I said, it 'may overload the PSU', though not necessary. When you factor these additional things, you may find 550W PSU is just enough for your system.

a good 550w is enough for a 9900k + 2080ti system, overclocked. 

so i dont see why you would ever need more. GPUs simply wont exceed the 300w mark as you reach meme territory. same regarding consumer CPUs. 

HDDs, and SSDs together with fans use minor rails. together with the fact you wont reach a burning 550w on the 12v means you have overhead. 

6 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

I still use many traditional HDD to store my archives, so that adds a bit (25W per HDD).

Closer to 5W per drive. Wattage calculators are bullshit.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

a good 550w is enough for a 9900k + 2080ti system, overclocked. 

so i dont see why you would ever need more. GPUs simply wont exceed the 300w mark as you reach meme territory. same regarding consumer CPUs. 

HDDs, and SSDs together with fans use minor rails. together with the fact you wont reach a burning 550w on the 12v means you have overhead. 

I guess for average gamers, they don't need much. I got mine graphic card hogging 320W when I render a 4k video (using Vega 64 by the way). With the LTO tape drives and 4 SAS HDD running at full speed (RAID 10), also using USB-C to power my monitor, 6 PC fans to cool off the PC (I don't have an air-cond room, day time temperature could exceed 36c average), and also to running SQL Database. I can easily hit 550W with my setup.

18 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Closer to 5W per drive. Wattage calculators are bullshit.

I think they take the worse case scenario. Older HDD do consume quite a lot of power. I remember one HDD I saw rated max power of 50W. It's 7200rpm high performance HDD 80GB using IDE. HDD since then getting more and more power efficient, and almost all laptop HDD can run on 5V only (Though you need a boost converter to up convert for 12V).

Desktop HDD still use slightly higher Wattage than SSD and laptop HDD, though.

3 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

I guess for average gamers, they don't need much. I got mine graphic card hogging 320W when I render a 4k video (using Vega 64 by the way). With the LTO tape drives and 4 SAS HDD running at full speed (RAID 10), also using USB-C to power my monitor, 6 PC fans to cool off the PC (I don't have an air-cond room, day time temperature could exceed 36c average), and also to running SQL Database. I can easily hit 550W with my setup.

You would peak at 550w, which is still fine......

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

You would peak at 550w, which is still fine......

Yeah, and burn it in the process due to excessive heat (The PSU has a fan and functioning, but it's quite warm). Thank goodness my components are intact.

In any case, I still would suggest a 750W PSU, just to be on a safe side.

23 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yeah, and burn it in the process due to excessive heat (The PSU has a fan and functioning, but it's quite warm). Thank goodness my components are intact.

What on earth are you on about?

A PSU doesnt die when peaking at its rated continious wattage. In fact, most do about 20% more before OCP kicks in to protect the PSU and components

750w is way excessive for any consumersystem. 650w is really overkill aswell. 

49 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

PSUs are rated for continuous power. Do you know what "continuous" means?

:)

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

PSUs are rated for continuous power. Do you know what "continuous" means?

It means it can only do it once, right? ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

31 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It means it can only do it once, right? ;)

Nah, it means it can continue to do so, but each time it peaks, suprise mechanics kick in and it may kill your system

/s