Upcoming AMD CPU ..

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

True but both AMD and Intel must stop publishing altered and misleading TDP numbers for their products.

Watts of electricity = Watts of heat so the power consumption of the CPU is more representative of the TDP than the numbers CPU manufacturers publish.

TDP numbers have always been wacky, but yeah giving what they draw would be a much better idea. Would help people more accurately pick a PSU as well lol. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

42 minutes ago, Vishera said:

What the hell,Until yesterday in their website they said the 3950X will come with "Wraith Prism with RGB LED".

This last minute change only confirms my calculations of how hot those CPUs are,Should be at least 200W,which is as much as the 9900K.

Yea I'm not sure... Thinking of just going with the 3900x anyways bc it's really more then I know for what is be doing anyways I don't need to go overkill not to mention it would save me a little bit of money and I'm gonna have to change my motherboard to go with AMD processor and the motherboard it's gonna be expensive already I figured I'd save myself a few hundred dollars by going this rough 

Do you think it would really be worth it?

I mean if I decided I needed more cores than just 12 I could always go with an older model thread ripper and still get more course better performance at the same price or even cheaper?

I have to research motherboards I guess it all depends on the price of the motherboards If you're looking at a $600 board on top of a 700 dollar motherboard that's going to get pricey 

I'm going to guess just about any 570 motherboard will do?

Motherboard

I won't be looking to do any overclock but then again I think overclocking with AMD is really easy they have their own built-in software and Windows to do this with correct

1 hour ago, Vance44 said:

I'm going to guess just about any 570 motherboard will do?

Motherboard

I won't be looking to do any overclock but then again I think overclocking with AMD is really easy they have their own built-in software and Windows to do this with correct

Ill be using a x570 MB myself, however if you are looking to save money, they are pretty overkill. The only real advantages i have found is that the x570 has PCI-e 4.0, but there are not many components available that even use that yet, a few more USB 3 ports, and better RAM specifications. If you need PCI-e 4.0 then go with x570, otherwise any x470 should work great for AMD 3000 series.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/x570-vs-x470-motherboards

34 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

Ill be using a x570 MB myself, however if you are looking to save money, they are pretty overkill. The only real advantages i have found is that the x570 has PCI-e 4.0, but there are not many components available that even use that yet, a few more USB 3 ports, and better RAM specifications. If you need PCI-e 4.0 then go with x570, otherwise any x470 should work great for AMD 3000 series.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/x570-vs-x470-motherboards

The 570 boards aren't the only ones that take advantage of RAM speeds? Or are they?

1 minute ago, Vance44 said:

The 570 boards aren't the only ones that take advantage of RAM speeds? Or are they?

I think that new ram specification doesn't have anything to do with higher speeds, instead i believe it is just better power management, which translates to better overclocking.

16 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

I think that new ram specification doesn't have anything to do with higher speeds, instead i believe it is just better power management, which translates to better overclocking.

Well now I am just questioning myself lol am I really going to need 16 cores for what I do probably not....am I really going to benefit from 16 cores probably not lol as as fast and nice as it would be I might just go with the 3900 x 

And what exactly do you really benefit from PCI 4.0?

1 minute ago, Vance44 said:

Well now I am just questioning myself lol am I really going to need 16 cores for what I do probably not....am I really going to benefit from 16 cores probably not lol as as fast and nice as it would be I might just go with the 3900 x 

And what exactly do you really benefit from PCI 4.0?

Only thing i'm able to currently use it for is my M.2 SSD. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLYWMYW

Just now, Vance44 said:

Right.. well that is a nice advantage

Yeah, at the moment probably the only advantage though. It could change, but who knows how long before video cards take advantage of it. However 5GB Read and 4GB Write speeds are pretty amazing for a SSD.

@mikedmor @Vance44 While I'm expecting the 3950X to stay around the 100 watt level when run at its base clocks, I'd still want to be prepared to pull 200-250 watts for high demand tasks. Further, it will require the 1.0.0.4 bios code. That pretty much puts you in an x570 motherboard, maybe a couple X470 boards and probably one of the more expensive ones too.

I'm actually betting dropping the cooler is a cost cutting measure. Ryzen works best when kept as cold as possible, so a large part of the customer base for the 3950X is going to be running higher end cooling solutions than AMD could fit in the box. I know I'm using a 360m AIO on my 3800X, and the only reason the fan wasn't a direct to the trash is I'm planning to resell the CPU is I upgrade to Zen 3. Pulling the cooler out lets them cut that cost, and their target audience wasn't going to change their purchase plans anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Voyager said:

@mikedmor @Vance44 While I'm expecting the 3950X to stay around the 100 watt level when run at its base clocks, I'd still want to be prepared to pull 200-250 watts for high demand tasks. Further, it will require the 1.0.0.4 bios code. That pretty much puts you in an x570 motherboard, maybe a couple X470 boards and probably one of the more expensive ones too.

I'm actually betting dropping the cooler is a cost cutting measure. Ryzen works best when kept as cold as possible, so a large part of the customer base for the 3950X is going to be running higher end cooling solutions than AMD could fit in the box. I know I'm using a 360m AIO on my 3800X, and the only reason the fan wasn't a direct to the trash is I'm planning to resell the CPU is I upgrade to Zen 3. Pulling the cooler out lets them cut that cost, and their target audience wasn't going to change their purchase plans anyways. 

I've actually decided I'm just gonna go with the 3900x now I just need to find the good motherboard ... Do you remember what the TDP is on the 3900x? 

I'll have to look I think it uses a little less power than the 3950 correct?

@Vance44 I ended up gauging from the Motherboard Tier list here, and looks like the majority of 570, 470 and a few 450 board can support it, depending on how hard you want to drive it. At that stage it comes down mostly to which features you need, which board you want. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Voyager said:

@Vance44 I ended up gauging from the Motherboard Tier list here, and looks like the majority of 570, 470 and a few 450 board can support it, depending on how hard you want to drive it. At that stage it comes down mostly to which features you need, which board you want. 

Well PCI 4.0 would be nice but not a must

I do want something that will support faster RAM speeds looking through some other boards I've noticed that some of them will only support up to 2666 ?  

I would rather take advantage of faster RAM speeds if possible then PCI 4.0 on an m.2 slot

But if I can find a motherboard that supports both that would be amazing

Any ideas?

@Vance44 I found this helpful, or may be even more of a firehose: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14161/the-amd-x570-motherboard-overview

I ended up going with the Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi myself, but I specifically wanted a large number of USB ports and Wifi6 support. You may find different boards that meet your needs better. 

6 hours ago, Vance44 said:

and the motherboard it's gonna be expensive already I figured I'd save myself a few hundred dollars by going this rough 

The MSI B450 Tomahawk should handle the 3900X,It's a pretty good board and a cheap one too.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

ok i'm struggling here lol 

there are so many damn mother boards out there some of them good give good specs some of them done from sites like amazon or best buy for example 

so i'm referring back to the manufacturer site to get all the details on them 

for example here is one ... not sure if i'm reading this right or not 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P/specifications/

but in this link if  you look under the the memory section for 3rd gen   that's a list of all the speeds a 3rd gen will support along with that mother board correct? 

so in this case this mother board will support up to 4400mh memory speeds? 

i just want to make sure i know what to look for and that i'm reading this stuff currently so i know i'm getting the right board 

it does me no good to get high speed ram if its not supported lol 

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS/Specification

so here is one i found its listed at $169.99 it looks like it supports the fast ram speeds and it has pci 4.0

it has everything i care about  

or is trying to find the cheapest board not a good idea?  you get what you pay for?  

i dont mind spending a little money i just dont want to go over $250 for a board 

if you can find a good recommendation for a board that supports the faster ram speeds and pci 4.0 please drop me a link that would help big time 

i'm just afraid of some of these bored not telling me that they sport both 

i wont buy anything unless it say's its supported just to be sure even tho some of these boards my support it  without saying 

thanks!