Upcoming AMD CPU ..

Does anybody happen to have a reliable update in information on the upcoming CPUs I've been watching YouTube news to try to keep up and been looking for information online but can't seem to find anything

From what I'm hearing and understanding the new thread ripper is due to come out or be released tomorrow on the 7th but it sounds and looks like they had taking the the 3950x out altogether?

So now they are only releasing the thread ripper question mark is this true?

If anybody has any good reliable information on the 3950x that's the one I'm really interested in

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

If anybody has any good reliable information on the 3950x that's the one I'm really interested in

You wouldn't find a scoop on this forum veggie you found in on a tech news publication. 

Trust me, us average consumers know as much as you do. AMD is intentionally not reheating information about their unreleased product.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

22 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

Does anybody happen to have a reliable update in information on the upcoming CPUs I've been watching YouTube news to try to keep up and been looking for information online but can't seem to find anything

From what I'm hearing and understanding the new thread ripper is due to come out or be released tomorrow on the 7th but it sounds and looks like they had taking the the 3950x out altogether?

So now they are only releasing the thread ripper question mark is this true?

Thanks!

Just a 16 core 32 threads CPU,Still featured on AMDs website so looks like it will be released,

All core boost speeds is expected to be lower than the 3900X so lower single core performance.

3.5GHz base clock,

The official max boost clock looks bogus,official TDP looks misleading.

With that much dense power and heat the real TDP should be higher than the 3900X and the real max boost clocks should be lower than the 3700X.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Even at lower clock speeds it does have more cores and more threads So it shouldn't have to work as hard to get better performance?

either way I was just trying to get information on this I have not been able to get anything reliable

It has been shown an information I found today that the thread river releases tomorrow but not the 3950x so I was trying to figure out if it was even going to release at all? 

I was going to buy the 3900 x but I wanted to wait for the 3950 x to see what the price was going to be and if it was worth it before I bought the 3900 x with that being said I guess we will find out tomorrow if it releases with the new thread ripper

I'm in the same boat. I have spent the last year getting together all the parts for my new build and intended on getting the 3950x back in September when it was originally going to be released. There is a list floating around that shows what AMD plans to talk about tomorrow, but no mention of the 3950x. Hopefully they mention something about it tomorrow though?.

59 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

I'm in the same boat. I have spent the last year getting together all the parts for my new build and intended on getting the 3950x back in September when it was originally going to be released. There is a list floating around that shows what AMD plans to talk about tomorrow, but no mention of the 3950x. Hopefully they mention something about it tomorrow though?.

I'm guessing they are gonna be hosting something live on YouTube?

8 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

I'm guessing they are gonna be hosting something live on YouTube?

I imagine if they are not someone will be. I have not found any official sources for where to watch the event tomorrow yet.

18 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

I imagine if they are not someone will be. I have not found any official sources for where to watch the event tomorrow yet.

If you can please keep me posted I will try to keep on this if I find anything out I will let you know on here

Worse comes to shove if it doesn't release I will just buy the 3900 x 

The only reason I was waiting because it was supposed to be more cores more threads at a very affordable price 

I guess there is word they are already working on CPUs set to come out next year 

But I'm not gonna really wait that long anything I can upgrade to will be better than what I have now

3 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

If you can please keep me posted I will try to keep on this if I find anything out I will let you know on here

Worse comes to shove if it doesn't release I will just buy the 3900 x 

The only reason I was waiting because it was supposed to be more cores more threads at a very affordable price 

I guess there is word they are already working on CPUs set to come out next year 

But I'm not gonna really wait that long anything I can upgrade to will be better than what I have now

Sounds good. Ill post if i find anything else. 

I plan on doing the same. My current pc is still using the FX-9590, which AMD is currently getting some flak for marketing as an 8 core cpu when its really just a 4 core. I really wanted the 3950x, but if it turns out they pushed it back again i don't think i'm going to wait any longer. My new PC is basically done, just missing the new CPU.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Just a 16 core 32 threads CPU,Still featured on AMDs website so looks like it will be released,

All core boost speeds is expected to be lower than the 3900X so lower single core performance.

3.5GHz base clock,

The official max boost clock looks bogus,official TDP looks misleading.

With that much dense power and heat the real TDP should be higher than the 3900X and the real max boost clocks should be lower than the 3700X.

The TDP is based on the base clocks, not boost. 

The boost itself is single core only, and based on my 3800X getting a solid 4450mhz boost and the results from some test power plans: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/ it is reasonable to expect the 3950X, with two chips to hop between, to be able to do in the 4700mhz range for single core boost. 

24 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

Sounds good. Ill post if i find anything else. 

I plan on doing the same. My current pc is still using the FX-9590, which AMD is currently getting some flak for marketing as an 8 core cpu when its really just a 4 core. I really wanted the 3950x, but if it turns out they pushed it back again i don't think i'm going to wait any longer. My new PC is basically done, just missing the new CPU.

I feel your pain hurry up and release the damn thing lol

2 minutes ago, Vance44 said:

I feel your pain hurry up and release the damn thing lol

Found this and it got my hopes up!

1 minute ago, mikedmor said:

Found this and it got my hopes up!

I can buy the 3900 x for $499 here on us

And I'm just curious if the price of this will go down if they do release the 3950 x?

Just now, Vance44 said:

I can buy the 3900 x for $499 here on us

And I'm just curious if the price of this will go down if they do release the 3950 x?

I doubt it, I'm expecting about $799 for the 3950x. the 3900x will probably keep its price, but may see a small discount near black Friday/cyber Monday.

1 minute ago, mikedmor said:

I doubt it, I'm expecting about $799 for the 3950x. the 3900x will probably keep its price, but may see a small discount near black Friday/cyber Monday.

I've seen right around $750 for 3950x 

Guess we'll find out

2 hours ago, Vance44 said:

I've seen right around $750 for 3950x 

Guess we'll find out

That would be a nice surprise! Hopefully your closer than me, but I planned on buying it what ever the price came out to be. I'm just getting anxious at this point to finally have an upgraded PC after a decade or so. ?

5 hours ago, Harry Voyager said:

The TDP is based on the base clocks, not boost. 

Shouldn's be the same as the 3800X when it has double the cores.

5 hours ago, Harry Voyager said:

The boost itself is single core only, and based on my 3800X getting a solid 4450mhz boost and the results from some test power plans: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/ it is reasonable to expect the 3950X, with two chips to hop between, to be able to do in the 4700mhz range for single core boost.

With double the cores the 3800X has,The 3950X is very limited thermally,

Doesn't matter if it's single core max boost or all core boost - the 3950X is too hot to handle either of those with the stock cooler (AMD officially confirmed that the 3950X comes with: "Wraith Prism with RGB LED").

Maybe with a 360 liquid cooler you will get there.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

@Vishera It has more cores but their base clocks are about 400mhz lower, even lower than the 3700 chips are. That'sisted as a 65w chip, so you add an extra CCX chip to it, and recall that they share the same bus chip, and you can get to the region of 105W at 3.5.

The boost is an issue of single core temperature limits. I know from checking how the 3800X behaves that it can shut down four or six cores to push single thread performance, but it does not want to keep it focused on one core too long, so on my chip it ends up sharing cycles between the golden core and its neighbor, which is not as good a core. 

What I'm expecting is we'll see is two golden cores, one on each chiplette, that it will toss the thread back and forth between. Since that already gives a good boost to the 3900X, I'd expect a 3950X, with two 3800X grade chiplettes on it, to be able to get a higher single thread boost.

The ability of the CPU to shut off 3/4 to 7/8ths of itself should do a lot to control the overall package temperature. If you are trying to get all sixteen cores running at 4.3Ghz+ I'll expect the CPU to be an ungodly heat engine, but when you're only doing single thread, it should be able to scale itself down to only either two or four live cores. That should be far more manageable. 

Harry Voyager

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Shouldn's be the same as the 3800X when it has double the cores.

With double the cores the 3800X has,The 3950X is very limited thermally,

Doesn't matter if it's single core max boost or all core boost - the 3950X is too hot to handle either of those with the stock cooler (AMD officially confirmed that the 3950X comes with: "Wraith Prism with RGB LED").

Maybe with a 360 liquid cooler you will get there.

If I don't end up with the 3950x I'll be getting the 3900x and I'll be water cooling it 

Looks like they will be release on the 25th of November. Also @Vance44 Looks like you were correct, they seem to be priced at $749. 

EDIT: something i just found out. It looks like the 3950x will NOT ship with a stock cooler. AMD is recommending an AIO cooler as a minimum requirement to cool the CPU. 

dims?quality=85&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fimages%2Fdims%3Fcrop%3D981%252C514%252C0%252C0%26quality%3D85%26format%3Djpg%26resize%3D1600%252C838%26image_uri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fs.yimg.com%252Fos%252Fcreatr-uploaded-images%252F2019-11%252F00c3b150-0139-11ea-bfda-f35d9c11db15%26client%3Da1acac3e1b3290917d92%26signature%3D54c97c3fed2a4cff981284b75d6cb9b7bf0155bb&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=e9b834ffd935fd797adf3b6e0512c24eaca653f2
b10cae38-c76f-4d29-837f-18017448e90f.jpg

33 minutes ago, mikedmor said:

Here are some cooler options that AMD recommends for the new processor

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions

I already have a water cooler double fan radiator that will work so I'm set there

The only thing I have to find is a motherboard

Any ideas on that?

well that and I have to do some research and find out what they recommend for power supply I might have to upgrade my power supply

1 hour ago, mikedmor said:

EDIT: something i just found out. It looks like the 3950x will NOT ship with a stock cooler.

What the hell,Until yesterday in their website they said the 3950X will come with "Wraith Prism with RGB LED".

This last minute change only confirms my calculations of how hot those CPUs are,Should be at least 200W,which is as much as the 9900K.

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

What the hell,Until yesterday in their website they said the 3950X will come with "Wraith Prism with RGB LED".

This last minute change only confirms my calculations of how hot those CPUs are,Should be at least 200W,which is as much as the 9900K.

Not too surprising tbh, it does pack twice the cores. Even if it is as hot as a 9900K, that's still damn impressive.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Not too surprising tbh, it does pack twice the cores. Even if it is as hot as a 9900K, that's still damn impressive.

True but both AMD and Intel must stop publishing altered and misleading TDP numbers for their products.

Watts of electricity = Watts of heat so the power consumption of the CPU is more representative of the TDP than the numbers CPU manufacturers publish.