Project Snow [Help Me]

TechSage

I want to make an app that people download and then based on their location (Automatic or Manually) they can answer a question. People then, can see what other people voted. This is going to be made for parents. I'm going to have to use Java I know. I already have Eclipse downloaded along with the software development kit.

I have prior experience in coding, so I want to know what how to read code. I just want someone to tell me what type of things I will need to code (Example codes maybe?) This will be my first app. I'm 17 years old, and I want to start a portfolio of all the stuff I make/made.  

EDIT: I'm being kind of vague about what the app will do, I just want an idea of how to make, and I don't want anyone to steal the idea. 

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Now I hate to say it but is it kind of like an app called Show Of Hands?

http://sohso.tumblr.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_of_Hands_%28application%29

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

You can't just learn how to read/write code. If you have just very basic skills you will need the next 1-2 maybe even 3 months to become fluent depending on how often you study it.

EDIT: I'm being kind of vague about what the app will do, I just want an idea of how to make, and I don't want anyone to steal the idea. 

If you don't want anyody to steal your idea (if there is anything new), you shouldn't post it on a public forum.

Safeguarding ideas is a useless effort. You have to remember that even if you tell everyone you know only a small slice of society will hear you. Out of that small slice a smaller sliver will listen. From that sliver you are left with a tiny sample that actually has the expertise to execute the idea. And I could safely wager quite a lot that nearly all of those will already be working on projects of there own because that's what real experts in any area do.

Plus ideas are cheap, right now I can come up with a million ideas. The real money is never in the idea, but the execution. Build something that is good enough that you stand out from the copycats. By now there are probably hundreds of Minecraft clones but Minecraft is still doing very well. Plus many ideas aren't as original as they seem. I would recommend looking up a video series titled 'Everything is a remix'.

To try to answer the question at hand. I believe you actually need javascript and not java for android development. The only way to learn how to read code is to read code, and programmers don't run literature clubs. You need to just work with code and with time you will get better at reading code. 

And I hate to be blunt but if you don't have a good idea of what needs to be done before you work on a project then you may not be ready for it. I have been there before, going into a project blind will put you neck deep in dozens of ideas that you may think you understand but can't even fathom. Not to dissuade you from your idea, just consider it a learning experience and not a get rich quick scheme.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

You can't just learn how to read/write code. If you have just very basic skills you will need the next 1-2 maybe even 3 months to become fluent depending on how often you study it.

I'm fluent in BASIC and Python, with some PHP

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Phython is related to Java? if it is then you should be fine in starting off and learning Java, it will be a lot more easy

Safeguarding ideas is a useless effort. You have to remember that even if you tell everyone you know only a small slice of society will hear you. Out of that small slice a smaller sliver will listen. From that sliver you are left with a tiny sample that actually has the expertise to execute the idea. And I could safely wager quite a lot that nearly all of those will already be working on projects of there own because that's what real experts in any area do.

Plus ideas are cheap, right now I can come up with a million ideas. The real money is never in the idea, but the execution. Build something that is good enough that you stand out from the copycats. By now there are probably hundreds of Minecraft clones but Minecraft is still doing very well. Plus many ideas aren't as original as they seem. I would recommend looking up a video series titled 'Everything is a remix'.

To try to answer the question at hand. I believe you actually need javascript and not java for android development. The only way to learn how to read code is to read code, and programmers don't run literature clubs. You need to just work with code and with time you will get better at reading code.

And I hate to be blunt but if you don't have a good idea of what needs to be done before you work on a project then you may not be ready for it. I have been there before, going into a project blind will put you neck deep in dozens of ideas that you may think you understand but can't even fathom. Not to dissuade you from your idea, just consider it a learning experience and not a get rich quick scheme.

I'm just doing this for fun, I'm not even going to put ads on it or anything, I just want to be build something free and useful

Well Basic, Python or PHP aren't going to be of any use for an Android dev project. Get to know your way around the Eclipse workspace, find some video tutorials, text tutorials or whatever else you can and slowly build up the skills and techniques you need to execute your plan. Writing an app is no easy chore, and will require a MINIMUM of 4-6 months to get enough skill to write an app without any prior experience. I am not trying to be discouraging, but the way I learned MySQL/PHP along with advanced HTML and CSS was through a lot of tutorials, trial and error, and a hell of a lot of practice. Its going to take time, but eventually you will get your first app up and running. Small steps and accomplishments will keep you motivated and will prevent you from getting frustrated and giving up. Practice and in no time you will be writing your first app. Good luck to you and post back on the forum if you follow through with this!

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Well Basic, Python or PHP aren't going to be of any use for an Android dev project. Get to know your way around the Eclipse workspace, find some video tutorials, text tutorials or whatever else you can and slowly build up the skills and techniques you need to execute your plan. Writing an app is no easy chore, and will require a MINIMUM of 4-6 months to get enough skill to write an app without any prior experience. I am not trying to be discouraging, but the way I learned MySQL/PHP along with advanced HTML and CSS was through a lot of tutorials, trial and error, and a hell of a lot of practice. Its going to take time, but eventually you will get your first app up and running. Small steps and accomplishments will keep you motivated and will prevent you from getting frustrated and giving up. Practice and in no time you will be writing your first app. Good luck to you and post back on the forum if you follow through with this!

^^^Those are some good words there.

Back to the OP. I haven't done any mobile development, but I can still attest that it is a long road from inexperienced to hammering out something you actually use in a couple of hours. When you get there though you'll be very happy you put the work in. Just don't get discouraged, discouragement is a much larger enemy than pretty much everything else I would say.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Nope Coding for Android does actually need Java not javascript.  You have java - eclipse with the Android SDK which is additional library to java.

OP.  Go for it. What you need to know is basic java, since you know php i think the programming by itself wont be problem (Statements, loops e.t.c.).

The only "problem" you could have is the java syntax itself.

Buy a book, its better. trust me.

And what you need for android development of the app you mentioned, well

Code to get your location is something about 3 lines of code. not much.

You need to add permission for using gps, and then just create an activity (screen) with the vote button, and textfield which will be occupied by the text of the question people should answer.

if you have basic skill with php, its better to code web based database with the questions and location in format you can easily push to the gps and it will be recognizable.

Then use JSON to push it to android and in android just code an json parser. 

Easy as that . 

And one very strong tutorial is here, for everything : endless tutorial for android

and for java :  http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/java.html

I think if you are really confident about this, and you have the endurace. go for it. in 2-4 months you should get it running.

Also you can ask on forum, but trust me in this : If you are thinking about posting a question about an issue in android/java on forum without pasting your code (because you are afraid of robbery). Dont post it at all. :P

Good luck dude :)

I'd say maybe start of with basic plain java projects and then move onto a proper projects so maybe start of with hello world then move on to your own personal small project such as a login app which just allows you to login and the move onto making it have also a user profile and just keep on going from then, after that you more then likely will have enough experience to read java fluently and more then likely you would be able to read other languages at ease