This guy has a PROBLEM - Tech Hoarders

2 hours ago, Ale000_ said:

Thank you so much! These are the only information I have found since I have this motherboard. I needed the manual for the jumper settings. The silkscreen got somehow rubbed off before I got it. Pictures would help very much because several google searches came out dry.

Alright I'll take some pictures of it when I get home and post them for you! Glad to be able to help!

On 11/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

Why wouldn't you just istall dosbox or run a VM?

There's something satisfying about running old software and games on the original hardware.  I have dosbox on my main PC as well but I still enjoy messing around with old computer hardware.  I got this laptop for nothing and have only put about $100 into it to get it running better over the course of a couple years; just needs that floppy.

@BrianTheElectrician I'll PM you next time I'm heading to Vancouver, I have some family living out there.  Old computer parts are few and far between here in Calgary at least where I've been looking.

Edited by Strongit
Tagged forum member with info

2 hours ago, Strongit said:

There's something satisfying about running old software and games on the original hardware.  I have dosbox on my main PC as well but I still enjoy messing around with old computer hardware.  I got this laptop for nothing and have only put about $100 into it to get it running better over the course of a couple years; just needs that floppy.

@BrianTheElectrician I'll PM you next time I'm heading to Vancouver, I have some family living out there.  Old computer parts are few and far between here in Calgary at least where I've been looking.

Yes absolutely satisfying to run on the legit hardware. Sounds good on the pm, hit me up when your in town!

@Ale000_

Here are the pics of that motherboard

DSC_4064.JPG

DSC_4065.JPG

I think my place has about as much retro gear in it right now (I've been hoarding, myself) but it's not nearly as well organized :D

Perhaps I'll take a picture of the Wall Of Retro - it fluctuates between 15 and 20 PCs stacked in rows of threes depending on what project I'm working on at the time :D

5 hours ago, LeftyBC said:

I think my place has about as much retro gear in it right now (I've been hoarding, myself) but it's not nearly as well organized :D

Perhaps I'll take a picture of the Wall Of Retro - it fluctuates between 15 and 20 PCs stacked in rows of threes depending on what project I'm working on at the time :D

Would love to see your collection! There is actually a thread dedicated to showing off your vintage hardware goodies and activities here as well, made a few posts there myself :). Very cool thread!

On 11/7/2019 at 8:50 AM, BrianTheElectrician said:

Yes absolutely satisfying to run on the legit hardware. Sounds good on the pm, hit me up when your in town!

@Ale000_

Here are the pics of that motherboard

DSC_4064.JPG

DSC_4065.JPG

Thank you so much. Those will be very helpful!

On 11/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, BrianTheElectrician said:

Would love to see your collection! There is actually a thread dedicated to showing off your vintage hardware goodies and activities here as well, made a few posts there myself :). Very cool thread!

firs off yea your on the forum and second. big props on helping people with old tech to.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I enjoyed the video. Is it hording? Yeah, but at least the majority of his collection is in a designated area and well organized. It's when the house is unlivable that a person has a real problem. He works with a recycling company to off load broken gear and the worst hoarders struggle to throw anything away. I have a couple of legacy systems but what I don't need I sell off before it becomes worthless.   

I wonder how much precious metals he has, and how much money he'd get for all that junk, in precious metals alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Linus, loved the video.  You said you forgot how much a 5 1/4" floppy holds.  Depends on it's age and format.  In the pre-DOS and DOS days they started out as Single Sided Single Density (SSSD) disks and could store 180Kbytes, Single Sided Double Density brought the capacity to 360K, then double sided to 720K, and lastly DSHD high Density disks gave you 1.2Mb.  If you were an Apple user, the capacities were a little higher due to formatting differences even though the physical media was the same.  Thanks for bringing my memories of High School back ?

found this system on a friends curb 

cpu amd athlon 2  x2 250 @ 3000mhz

motherboard asus m4a785-m

ram corsair xms2 4,096 mb about 4 gigs 

and it had a blueray drive 

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.cc007e7bd8821a6e477563a8ace3f806.JPGIMG_0352.thumb.JPG.ee0a14a67162b308386bd60a1c2e3e36.JPGth

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.9b49a4e54f5d86fbe5826d340e233b5c.JPG

the hdd was from one of my old intel computers (need help to take a intel to amd)

the thermaltake tr2-430w power supply that was in there was dead when I got it 

so I put a power supply that was from a lenovo prebuilt 

the wifi card is from the same lenovo prebuilt 

also planning to run two cd drives one bluray other dvd/cd

the case is a thermaltake lanbox lite doesn't have cable management

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

• 1 month later...

Dang. That's a nice collection.

Speaking of offboard cache, I found some in my Socket 7 Compaq that I use as a 'for parts' machine.

20191229_143227.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...  I watched this video and recognized many items that you’d find in my computer room.  I just have less storage space to have more stuff.  I even remember buying this stuff new that Linus made fun of. ?

At the time of the purchases, I thought that I was on the bleeding edge of technology.  ?

Now, I just have trouble throwing away hardware that still works.  But, I am trying...  Yep, I’m a have a bit of tech hoarding going on.

They talked about hard drives...  I still remember when I bought like a 100MB hard drive for my Commodore Amiga and was a GOD.  I think the drive set me back like $1,100.  I think that I owned like 3 Amiga systems.

My first PC build was a 386 system.  I think that I still may have some DOS disks laying around to go with the floppy disk drives I have.  I used to do programming on punch cards and 8” floppy disks.

So, my life’s travels can be traced through all the junk I own...  Some people have pictures to remember, I have the tech to remind me....

So, the video was a great reminder of all the stuff that I haven’t seen for a while...  Very nostalgic review of my life.

FYI...  From MS Windows 3.1 on, I never remember not having each version...  Most likely I still may have a copy laying around.  And what was so wrong with Windows ME or Vista...  lol

• 7 months later...
On 11/5/2019 at 9:46 PM, BrianTheElectrician said:

Haha I'm glad (mostly) everyone like the video. Was a lot of fun to do and is what I was alluding to in my post in the show off your vintage hardware thread. As for selling, not really interested in shipping anything but would consider for a local sale so if your in the greater Vancouver area, shoot me a pm! Same goes for the minecraft server, its whitelist only but may be willing to let a few in :)

would love to try your server :P