New Gaming PC for a 13 year old

Heres what i was thinking would be good for this young man

his dad asked me to build him a PC for gaming and a little video editing for youtube.  no streaming.  the only game he told me about was fortnight.  I'm sure he will play other games but his dad doesnt really know.  I havent been in the building pc game in a couple of years and i just wanted to make sure that this would be a nice starter system for this kid to get into pc gaming.  his budget is $1500 for everything.  he has nothing.  im going to give him a gaming headset that ive had forever and never use but other than that i think ive thought of everything.  if anyone knows a better set up for the same money i would be interested in checking out your recomendations.  thanks in advance.  oh and his dad says he really likes the RGB lighting lol

What's with the slow large hard drive? Why does he need 5TB of storage?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Buy a Windowskey online for like 10 bucks and upgrade the GPU to a 2060 Super.

Also 650W seems a little bit overkill, but for the price you can get them it is not a bad deal. At least it is future proof this way.

The last thing i want to note are the 5TB of Storage...Again for the Price they are not bad but does he need this much?

You would be better off with upgrading the CPU to something like a Ryzen5 3600

2 minutes ago, Quantum_Matrix said:

I would buy a higher rated power supply

Why? The CX is really good.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Sajiko said:

Also 650W seems a little bit overkill, but for the price you can get them it is not a bad deal. At least it is future proof this way.

The last thing i want to note are the 5TB of Storage...Again for the Price they are not bad but does he need this much?

5700 xt, is same performance as 2070 super for 400$, get that instead of nvidia unless he wants to play games with ray tracing.

15 minutes ago, hardware junky said:

his dad asked me to build him a PC for gaming and a little video editing for youtube.  no streaming.  the only game he told me about was fortnight.  I'm sure he will play other games but his dad doesnt really know.  I havent been in the building pc game in a couple of years and i just wanted to make sure that this would be a nice starter system for this kid to get into pc gaming.  his budget is $1500 for everything.  he has nothing.  im going to give him a gaming headset that ive had forever and never use but other than that i think ive thought of everything.  if anyone knows a better set up for the same money i would be interested in checking out your recomendations.  thanks in advance.  oh and his dad says he really likes the RGB lighting lol

That keyboard isn’t good, the k55 is membrane and mechanical keyboards are much better for gaming and overall use, I personally own a mechanical keyboard and I can tell you I will never go back to a membrane 

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

17 minutes ago, hardware junky said:

Ask the kid if he plays low sens or high sens, for low sens I recommend model O or G pro Hero, for high sens: g502 hero, that corsair mouse. Also assuming you swap out the 2060 for a 5700 xt (which you should) that cpu might be a bottleneck, try and get a 3rd gen ryzen chip for cheap if you can.

33 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Before I meme, s’all good. Balanced build, good part choices. It’ll do what he wants. Though I suggest letting him pick his own peripherals, there’s more to a keyboard than a price tag.

But damn, rich kids I swear. My first PC was a hand me down with a 423 Pentium 4 and 256mb of DDR1 with a Geforce4 ti 4600. I used that straight into 2008 with only a ram upgrade before a lot of games stopped supporting cards without DX9.

i just picked out some random keyboard and mouse. the plan was to let him pick out his own.  thanks for the reply.

34 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What's with the slow large hard drive? Why does he need 5TB of storage?

he said he wanted to upload videos to youtube so i put a large storage drive to write all of his gameplay footage to.   also games seem to get bigger every year.  i remember when games were well below 1gb now look at them lol

34 minutes ago, Quantum_Matrix said:

I would buy a higher rated power supply

thanks for the input. i thought that would be fine but i guess another 100 watts couldnt hurt

36 minutes ago, Sajiko said:

im actually giving him a key that i already have.  im sure the price above doesnt include taxes so i figured the windows price would cover the taxes up above

33 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

5700 xt, is same performance as 2070 super for 400$, get that instead of nvidia unless he wants to play games with ray tracing.

i did want to give him the option of ray tracing and gsync.  i know theres freesync but nvidia has both

30 minutes ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

That keyboard isn’t good, the k55 is membrane and mechanical keyboards are much better for gaming and overall use, I personally own a mechanical keyboard and I can tell you I will never go back to a membrane 

i just picked out random keyboard and mouse.  i figured id let him pick out the ones he wants.  those were just for prices included in the $1500

29 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

Ask the kid if he plays low sens or high sens, for low sens I recommend model O or G pro Hero, for high sens: g502 hero, that corsair mouse. Also assuming you swap out the 2060 for a 5700 xt (which you should) that cpu might be a bottleneck, try and get a 3rd gen ryzen chip for cheap if you can.

im sorry but i dont know what low sens or high sens is.  nor do i know what you mean by model O or G pro hero.  like i said its been a couple of years since ive been in the building pc game. lol

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WFvcYH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($117.58 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($73.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($41.40 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1  59 CFM 120 mm Fans  ($55.75 @ B&H)
Total: $984.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-30 11:39 EDT-0400

Fortnite is a game that can run on an RX580, no need to for a bigger GPU then the 5700

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Fortnite is a game that can run on an RX580, no need to for a bigger GPU then the 5700

that was the only game that his dad could remember him playing.  im sure he plays much more.  i also want to give the option of playing all games at 1080p if possible

5 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WFvcYH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($117.58 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($73.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($41.40 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1  59 CFM 120 mm Fans  ($55.75 @ B&H)
Total: $984.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-30 11:39 EDT-0400

you didnt include monitor, mouse and keyboard in your partpicker list.  i dont know if that was intentional or notbut once you add that it really wouldnt be much different than what i picked or am i looking at this wrong

7 minutes ago, hardware junky said:

that was the only game that his dad could remember him playing.  im sure he plays much more.  i also want to give the option of playing all games at 1080p if possible

I play with a single RX 580 at 1080p ultra on most games, the only game i can remember not able to reach at least 60fps is Arma 3 with insane long distance visual, other then that my 75hz monitor is feed with enough image each seconds. The 5700 is well enough for 120hz monitor IMO, remember he is a kid and probably won't see a difference between a 75 and 100hz panel. With the B450 Tomahawk is will have place to replace the CPU and GPU in the futur, unless his father really want to spend the 1500$ i would just not go higher then that at the moment, and that will leave room for improvement later if he really need 5TB of storage and really need a higher end GPU.

Edit: i also added a little eye candies in the build like RGB fans and RGB cooler fans even if it's useless for performance, i got to say the fans are a bit noisy but they are cheap and have decent airflow, if that was me and focusing on performance only i would get 2 Noctua brown fans

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 minute ago, Mathieu9836 said:

I play with a single RX 580 at 1080p ultra on most games, the only game i can remember not able to reach at least 60fps is Arma 3 with insane long distance visual, other then that my 75hz monitor is feed with enough image each seconds. The 5700 is well enough for 120hz monitor IMO, remember he is a kid and probably won't see a difference between a 75 and 100hz panel. With the B450 Tomahawk is will have place to replace the CPU and GPU in the futur, unless his father really want to spend the 1500$ i would just not go higher then that at the moment, and that will leave room for improvement later if he really need 5TB of storage and really need a higher end GPU.

believe it or not his father is not paying for it.  he is.  the kid works during the summer and saves money.  im just saying that because it really impressed me.   the storage is for a back log of game-play so he can edit and upload to YouTube.  he may not need that much but storage prices are cheap right now and it didn't seem to make a real difference if i got any cheaper.  as far as your list you didnt include a monitor, keyboard, mouse or windows key.  once you include that i dont see that much of a difference.  ill find out more but if he plays online competitively, which i think he probable does because he also plays football and baseball at school, then i think he will want as many frames as possible.  dont get me wrong im taking your post into consideration and i really appreciate the incite and i will check out what you recommended for sure.

1 hour ago, Genwyn said:

Before I meme, s’all good. Balanced build, good part choices. It’ll do what he wants. Though I suggest letting him pick his own peripherals, there’s more to a keyboard than a price tag.

But damn, rich kids I swear. My first PC was a hand me down with a 423 Pentium 4 and 256mb of DDR1 with a Geforce4 ti 4600. I used that straight into 2008 with only a ram upgrade before a lot of games stopped supporting cards without DX9.

BTW, this kids dad told me that the kid is paying for it with the money he saved from working summers.  im only saying this because it really impressed me.  i need to find out where he was working so i get a job there and upgrade my system lol

i guess i put this in the wrong topic area. is there anyway to move this discussion to the right topic without re-posting it?

1 hour ago, hardware junky said:

i just picked out some random keyboard and mouse. the plan was to let him pick out his own.  thanks for the reply.

he said he wanted to upload videos to youtube so i put a large storage drive to write all of his gameplay footage to.   also games seem to get bigger every year.  i remember when games were well below 1gb now look at them lol

thanks for the input. i thought that would be fine but i guess another 100 watts couldnt hurt

im actually giving him a key that i already have.  im sure the price above doesnt include taxes so i figured the windows price would cover the taxes up above

i did want to give him the option of ray tracing and gsync.  i know theres freesync but nvidia has both

i just picked out random keyboard and mouse.  i figured id let him pick out the ones he wants.  those were just for prices included in the $1500

For G sync, amd has freesync which is the same thing don't listen to all the marketing crap nvidia spews out, plus freesync monitors are cheaper than g sync.