Amazon just bought a game studio (Double Helix)

TopWargamer

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5384820/amazon-buys-video-game-studio-double-helix-games

Amazon has confirmed that it has purchased video game developer Double Helix Games as part of its "ongoing commitment to build innovative games for customers." Double Helix, based in Irvine, California, is best known for developing Xbox One launch title Killer Instinct. The purchase was exposed by an invitation to a joint recruiting event by Amazon and Double Helix set to take place in Los Angeles on February 13th. TechCrunch, who uncovered the news, says the deal was likely to be announced on that day.

Now this is certainly an interesting purchase, and I honestly wasn't really expecting this from Amazon. But really though, why Double Helix? Why not buy somebody with a better and longer track record?

So with this acquisition, what do you think Amazon is planning on doing with Double Helix?

(Seems weird, but a few years from now we may have an Amazon made game on consoles and PC, or maybe even an Amazon console. Who knows.)

COMIC SANS

Amazon Quad Frozr 980ti SC because they will turn the studio into a PC component factory.

oh god, double helix made one mediocre game, the rest is crap, bad move amazon. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

it's like buying a house with terrible tenants 

just burn it down, build a new one, and put new people in it

Error: 410

Not really. With bigger funding and a company backing it, the sky is the limit.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I have never heard of Double Helix.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5384820/amazon-buys-video-game-studio-double-helix-games

Now this is certainly an interesting purchase, and I honestly wasn't really expecting this from Amazon. But really though, why Double Helix? Why not buy somebody with a better and longer track record?

So with this acquisition, what do you think Amazon is planning on doing with Double Helix?

(Seems weird, but a few years from now we may have an Amazon made game on consoles and PC, or maybe even an Amazon console. Who knows.)

I'm pretty sure that there where rumors a few Weeks ago that Amazon wants to release a console.(I think it was a Android console)

Now if they bought a game studio I could totally see that happening.

RTX2070OC 

"better and longer track record"

The studio is from a merger. Shiny Entertainment is a great studio. And Killer Instinct was a great game released last year.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Amazon is the next Google. Buy stocks now.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Not really. With bigger funding and a company backing it, the sky is the limit.

uhhh, i the company can only b as good as its workers, But i guess there is room for improvement.

Jesus, violent arent we?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

uhhh, i the company can only b as good as its workers, But i guess there is room for improvement.

Jesus, violent arent we?

Not really. It really depends on the companies budget. If they have a backing and can afford to hire new lead developers, designers, animators and artists.. They have infinite room to create whatever they want, having 'skills' doesn't take you that far in a game studio because it's all fairly easy.. Small studios are limited and can only get whats in reach.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

What blows my mind is Amazon still has yet to turn a profit. Literally they haven't made a dime yet they're gobbling up all these companies.

Not really. It really depends on the companies budget. If they have a backing and can afford to hire new lead developers, designers, animators and artists.. They have infinite room to create whatever they want, having 'skills' doesn't take you that far in a game studio because it's all fairly easy.. Small studios are limited and can only get whats in reach.

Look at microsoft, they have the money, but it was people who made the bad decisions. Im not saying your wrong, but you are :D just kidding but ya, its a risky move that will turn out any one of 3 ways.

I wonder if this has something to do with Amazon wanting their own Android console.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Look at microsoft, they have the money, but it was people who made the bad decisions. Im not saying your wrong, but you are :D just kidding but ya, its a risky move that will turn out any one of 3 ways.

Microsoft studios are not solely funded by Msoft. They also rely on in-house funding and contracts. Microsoft is mainly the publisher for the studios. Such as Black Tusk which MSoft recently acquired, Msoft will have very little to do in the making of new Gears of Wars games besides slight funds and publishing.

I say this because I got my start in the tech world working for my older brother (at a game studio, hes now at Amazon) who at the time was a VP for a game studio for about 15 years (studio was behind some game titles like Star Wars, Lord of the rings, Harry Potter, Shrek, Digimon, etc) and have an intimate knowledge of how they function.

What blows my mind is Amazon still has yet to turn a profit. Literally they haven't made a dime yet they're gobbling up all these companies.

It's all about that rapid expansion to fuel increased annual revenue number until we don't need to go outside to buy anything anymore.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

Amazon puts pretty much all excess revenue into investments and expansion. 

Error: 410

Amazon puts pretty much all excess revenue into investments and expansion. 

Related to that concept/topic.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

or you could murder the current tenants SLOWLY AND WITH GREAT PAIN IMPARTED UPON THEM........

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?