Att internet

Tyler gilbert

Hello all I am new here. And I have been fighting with my att/uverse internet for some time being slow/unstable and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to optimize it. Would getting a new modem/router help? If so what would be best one to get. Att is about the only isp around my area. So unfortunately I can't switch isp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

AT&T has notoriously garbage internet speeds. Sadly they have a monopoly on many areas in the country, allowing them to ignore complaints and never upgrade their equipment. Speaking from experience trying to deal with the internet and my grandparents' house (AT&T) and failing to make virtually any improvements. I don't want to seem like a dick, but it's unlikely that you can speed up your internet at all regardless of what you try, until AT&T deals with their equipment.

Do you live in a relatively rural or urban area? Because if you live in a more urban area, they may install gigabit internet in your area in the next few years. But there isn't much you can do until then.

34 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

AT&T has notoriously garbage internet speeds. Sadly they have a monopoly on many areas in the country, allowing them to ignore complaints and never upgrade their equipment. Speaking from experience trying to deal with the internet and my grandparents' house (AT&T) and failing to make virtually any improvements. I don't want to seem like a dick, but it's unlikely that you can speed up your internet at all regardless of what you try, until AT&T deals with their equipment.

Do you live in a relatively rural or urban area? Because if you live in a more urban area, they may install gigabit internet in your area in the next few years. But there isn't much you can do until then.

DSL, which is what AT&T basically is, is extremely sensitive to home wiring, including the wiring going to the pole. So I'd say there's a lot a user can do to have an effect on their speeds and stability.

1 hour ago, Tyler gilbert said:

Hello all I am new here. And I have been fighting with my att/uverse internet for some time being slow/unstable and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to optimize it. Would getting a new modem/router help? If so what would be best one to get. Att is about the only isp around my area. So unfortunately I can't switch isp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Ask AT&T to come out to your home and check your wiring. How old is the house? Do you know when the phone lines were wired up?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I have att fiber optic internet. Zero issues. And 1 gig up and down. It's Comcast who I had issues with. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

11 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

I have att fiber optic internet. Zero issues. And 1 gig up and down. It's Comcast who I had issues with. 

Most people can’t get Fiber. So...... Comcast is worlds better than slow ass xDSL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.