Advice for replacing my i7 8700 stock cooler

biscut

So basically, i'm not too experienced with this cooling stuff, but for the past year i've been using my i7 8700 (non-k) with the stock cooler, and the temps haven't gone like over 75c, but i've realized it gets really loud during gaming. Not sure if its the CPU but I'm pretty sure is because my GPU is staying around the same fan speed when I hear the loud fan, and I'm pretty sure its one of those two.

So my first question would be, can replacing the stock cooler make it quieter by a decent amount?

And if so, do you recommend any quiet coolers (preferably around or below 50usd)?

6 minutes ago, biscut said:

So my first question would be, will replacing the stock cooler make it quieter by a decent amount?

Yes, if you buy a better cooler. In general, the bigger it is, the better it is. Though, the better it is, the more expensive it is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

24 minutes ago, biscut said:

So basically, i'm not too experienced with this cooling stuff, but for the past year i've been using my i7 8700 (non-k) with the stock cooler, and the temps haven't gone like over 75c, but i've realized it gets really loud during gaming. Not sure if its the CPU but I'm pretty sure is because my GPU is staying around the same fan speed when I hear the loud fan, and I'm pretty sure its one of those two.

So my first question would be, can replacing the stock cooler make it quieter by a decent amount?

And if so, do you recommend any quiet coolers (preferably around or below 50usd)?

https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=hyper+212+evo&qid=1571887374&sr=8-2

Tried and true Hyper 212 Evo. Its not the best cooler in the world, but it kept my 5 GHz 8700k sub 85c while not being toooo loud before I got my water loop finished. It should drop temps a good bit AND be quieter.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Get a tower, or dual tower, CPU cooler. Fill your case with pwm fans; link them to the CPU fan and they will help a lot. For below 50USD you are limted to single tower coolers. For a bit more you can get a dual tower.

e.g. $59 https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Cooler-LGA1151-Heatsinks-heatpipes/dp/B07RFNG89S/ref=pd_cart_pb_ddcs_cart_2_4/142-5174113-1500248?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RFNG89S&pd_rd_r=04cc6c03-60dc-408d-af82-c837b10f2bbf&pd_rd_w=qWEna&pd_rd_wg=N9M3F&pf_rd_p=8bc53dfe-3c22-4908-8c12-8946e39ef49e&pf_rd_r=XMD9H36GJNFSY09GGNEN&psc=1&refRID=XMD9H36GJNFSY09GGNEN

Also consider that a lot of heat will most likely be being pumped into the case from the GPU. The CPU may be getting hot & loud because ambient case temp rises so much during gaming because of GPU load. For a free solution see if you can get more of the case air to flow out past the GPU. I usually remove some of the riser blanks top & bottom of the GPU to give the air a free path out.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Consensus of this thread: get an air cooler.

For a locked i7-8700, there is no reason on God's green earth to spend more than $20 on a cooler. Unless you've got a special situation, like a SFF or restricted airflow case. If your case is too small, get a dirty-ho cheap cooler like this and replace the 92mm fan if you want.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

59 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=hyper+212+evo&qid=1571887374&sr=8-2

Tried and true Hyper 212 Evo. Its not the best cooler in the world, but it kept my 5 GHz 8700k sub 85c while not being toooo loud before I got my water loop finished. It should drop temps a good bit AND be quieter.

Ah okay thanks for the advice, this one seems to be pretty popular around here.

57 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

Get a tower, or dual tower, CPU cooler. Fill your case with pwm fans; link them to the CPU fan and they will help a lot. For below 50USD you are limted to single tower coolers. For a bit more you can get a dual tower.

e.g. $59 https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Cooler-LGA1151-Heatsinks-heatpipes/dp/B07RFNG89S/ref=pd_cart_pb_ddcs_cart_2_4/142-5174113-1500248?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RFNG89S&pd_rd_r=04cc6c03-60dc-408d-af82-c837b10f2bbf&pd_rd_w=qWEna&pd_rd_wg=N9M3F&pf_rd_p=8bc53dfe-3c22-4908-8c12-8946e39ef49e&pf_rd_r=XMD9H36GJNFSY09GGNEN&psc=1&refRID=XMD9H36GJNFSY09GGNEN

Ah okay thanks, I guess I could go up to 60 if it helps haha

55 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Also consider that a lot of heat will most likely be being pumped into the case from the GPU. The CPU may be getting hot & loud because ambient case temp rises so much during gaming because of GPU load. For a free solution see if you can get more of the case air to flow out past the GPU. I usually remove some of the riser blanks top & bottom of the GPU to give the air a free path out.

Makes sense, I'll check it out and see

47 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

If you want a plain and simple answer of what to buy and install to make it super quiet, just get a BeQuiet Pure Rock.

Its a plain little tower with a very quiet fan and will keep an i7 8700 at very comfortable temperatures.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/532

Alright thanks, i'll check it out

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Consensus of this thread: get an air cooler.

For a locked i7-8700, there is no reason on God's green earth to spend more than $20 on a cooler. Unless you've got a special situation, like a SFF or restricted airflow case. If your case is too small, get a dirty-ho cheap cooler like this and replace the 92mm fan if you want.

Alright, thanks for clearing it up for me. Are the stock coolers that bad that a 15$ air cooler is better? ?

Just now, biscut said:

Alright, thanks for clearing it up for me. Are the stock coolers that bad that a 15$ air cooler is better? ?

Intel's are, yes.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Tried and true, sure. But CoolerMaster has already released 2 improved versions. And there are others which are in same price range, and availability, and are better. So I think its high time to stop recommending 212 unless it truly is the only good option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 10/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Tried and true, sure. But CoolerMaster has already released 2 improved versions. And there are others which are in same price range, and availability, and are better. So I think its high time to stop recommending 212 unless it truly is the only good option.

What are those other options? I don't really follow all the new stuff like I used to. Id be curious to know what these are for future reference!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

What are those other options? I don't really follow all the new stuff like I used to. Id be curious to know what these are for future reference!

Cryorig H7, be Quiet! Pure Rock, Artic Freezer 33 eSport, Artic Freezer 34. Probably some others, but these are all in some way better than 212 Evo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

If you're asking about the better Hyper 212's released after the Evo, they're the X, Black Edition, and RGB Black Edition.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're asking about the better Hyper 212's released after the Evo, they're the X, Black Edition, and RGB Black Edition.

Of which BEs are the better ones. X was just bit better fan with too big price increase.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

X was just bit better fan with too big price increase.

I own the Hyper 212X myself and it's cooling also a locked 8700 (albeit OC'd to 4.45ghz through BCLK) and yes the fan is *greatly* improved, works great, dead silent while temps on the 68~69Cº maximum.

But one thing that must be said is that it still uses the old Hyper 212 Evo mounting system and it is the worst mounting I have ever experienced in my life... it's so terrible that it was the most time consuming part on the entire build and I still had to tweak it afterwards because originally got too tight it messed up the CPU's IMC preventing dual channel.

I'd not bother with anything before the Black Edition ever.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I'd not bother with anything before the Black Edition ever.

Kinda proving my point. Back when it was relevant upgrade, getting Evo over X was usually better choice. Bit cheaper with about same performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv