[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

I've been out of the game for about 7 years.

What's the 2021 equivalent of the Corsair AX760? 

4 hours ago, dondizzurp said:

What's the 2021 equivalent of the Corsair AX760? 

HX750, but you'd be fine with RM/RMx too. And if you plan to reuse it for upgraded builds in the next 7 years too, it would probably be a good idea to get a 850/1000W version. PCIe 5 power connector supports up-to sustained 600W power draw and nVidia 12-pin (hich is essentially the same thing without auxiliary 4-pin) already supports 500W, who knows if GPU manufacturers wouldn't eventually go all-in on that.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I see the EVGA BQ 700W on the C tier but not the EVGA BQ 750W. Does it belong to the same tier?

3 hours ago, theoneseven said:

I see the EVGA BQ 700W on the C tier but not the EVGA BQ 750W. Does it belong to the same tier?

Any versions of EVGA BQ are there in the same position.

why isnt seasonic gx gold in tier a? Ik focus plus had some issues and gx fixed those so why not a gold tier? Does it need to be more efficient or sth? 

3 hours ago, Merlin_747 said:

why isnt seasonic gx gold in tier a? Ik focus plus had some issues and gx fixed those so why not a gold tier? Does it need to be more efficient or sth? 

Honestly, no idea. It might've been just not gilded back after splitting off the rest of Focus models (which had problems with Vega). But really, i'm not comfortable with gilding it, it's a relatively budget model to the rest of tier A gold units there. I'm fine with recommending it if it's cheap enough but it's not as good as say Corsair RM-x and i want to reflect that even if it means some degree of subjectivity. I also considered adding a requirement for an MCU with properly programmed fan control for tier A gold units, but then, Seasonic Prime units lack it too, and un-gilding them would probably be deemed more controversial than not gilding Focus by some. Even if i'm personally completely fine with that, we don't really need more drama here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a suggestion: can you please add the latest ATX version that each unit complies, maybe in the "units index" tab?

I am wondering what ATX versions of the popular PSUs like RMx(2018), RMx(2021), HX, Leadex III gold, one seasonic focus and prime

59 minutes ago, MarkCaplan said:

I am wondering what ATX versions of the popular PSUs like RMx(2018), RMx(2021), HX, Leadex III gold, one seasonic focus and prime

Why?

Anybody using the Silverstone VIVA Series 650W 80+ GOLD SMPS SST-VA650-G and Silverstone VIVA Series 750W 80+ GOLD SMPS SST-VA750-G units? How good are they?

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why?

would be nice to know if the PSU I am buying is compatible with the latest sleep modes.. I really hate all the "wake up" problems... I experienced enough. 

By the way I found that Leadex III gold is 2.32 compatible, from the box. Focus does not say on the box.

3 minutes ago, MarkCaplan said:

would be nice to know if the PSU I am buying is compatible with the latest sleep modes.. I really hate all the "wake up" problems... I experienced enough. 

By the way I found that Leadex III gold is 2.32 compatible, from the box. Focus does not say on the box.

Ah!  Ok.  That's legit.

14 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ah!  Ok.  That's legit.

your sarcasm is too obvious here but I am talking about the future possibilities. PSUs are supposed to last 10 years.

23 minutes ago, MarkCaplan said:

your sarcasm is too obvious here but I am talking about the future possibilities. PSUs are supposed to last 10 years.

I'm not being sarcastic.  Knowing if the PSU has the correct T1 and T3 timings to support MSM is a reasonable inquiry. 

Of course, for now you can just see if a particular review calls out what supervisor IC it's using. 

41 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm not being sarcastic.  Knowing if the PSU has the correct T1 and T3 timings to support MSM is a reasonable inquiry. 

Of course, for now you can just see if a particular review calls out what supervisor IC it's using. 

what happens when more systems use that "advanced sleep mode" in ATX v2.52 and PSUs don't comply?

Will we get to choose among different modes of sleeps? Do we lose sleeping entirely?

2 hours ago, MarkCaplan said:

what happens when more systems use that "advanced sleep mode" in ATX v2.52 and PSUs don't comply?

Will we get to choose among different modes of sleeps? Do we lose sleeping entirely?

Yes.  You simply disable it in the BIOS.

image.png.deb47508bd887dad1859501f1baa0a48.png

Just how high is the transient power draw on an OC 3080Ti? I'm assuming 1000w would be sufficient for that paired with a 12700k right?

1 hour ago, Nozyspy said:

Just how high is the transient power draw on an OC 3080Ti? I'm assuming 1000w would be sufficient for that paired with a 12700k right?

Wrong thread.

12 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Wrong thread.

You already replied, you could have used less words and simply said 'yes' or 'no'.

EDIT: NVM sorry, i forgot that my question was already answered a few pages before by someone being more helpful. 👍 Looks like its gonna be a Corsair HX1000 for me i guess.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:39 PM, Juular said:

It's not clear, i would advice against buying Seasonic Prime PSUs if you plan to use RTX3080/3090 series GPUs or something high-end from next generations, which would likely be even more transient heavy. But it's not strictly power draw related issue in this case, more of design flaw in Seasonic protection circuit, because most other PSUs work fine, 750W for RTX3080, 850W for RTX3080Ti/3090.

1 hour ago, xaviltt said:

what about corsair cv 650

It's in Tier C.  If you Ctrl + F to find on page "CV" (of tier list front page) it'll take you to where it's listed.  So not advised for a high-end GPU system but okay for a mid/low end GPU or office computer.

I am looking to buy an Antec High Current Gamer Gold HCG750 as I found it around 80 euros - about 25 euros cheaper then a RMx in my country. In the tier list it states, that one should not buy the Antec model from pre2018. How do I tell, if the linked one is pre2018?

Antec | Model-nr.: 0-761345-11638-1

https://www.computersalg.dk/i/4162430/antec-high-current-gamer-gold-hcg750-strømforsyning-intern-atx12v-2-4-eps12v-80-plus-gold-ac-100-240-v-750-watt-aktiv-pfc

Thank you in advance!

I sent in my 2080ti for service and was told I had a bad capacitor that they fixed. They are sending it back but I was looking into any power issues my pc that might have caused the damage.

Well, I found old focus psu's have problems from this PSU tier list. I'm looking to buy a replacement or get a replacement from seasonic. I'm looking at the prime 1000 titanium or platinum (is there a big difference?). Do you all happen to have any suggestions? Thanks for any help

2 hours ago, ShiZo1337 said:

I sent in my 2080ti for service and was told I had a bad capacitor that they fixed. They are sending it back but I was looking into any power issues my pc that might have caused the damage.

Well, I found old focus psu's have problems from this PSU tier list. I'm looking to buy a replacement or get a replacement from seasonic. I'm looking at the prime 1000 titanium or platinum (is there a big difference?). Do you all happen to have any suggestions? Thanks for any help

capacitors naturally fail over time, you might just had bad luck and gotten one with really short lifetime. if you're really concerned, just go ahead and upgrade. the main difference between Ti and Pt is really efficiency certification at very low and very high loads. you're splitting hair by the time you get to Ti and Pt level. You can't go wrong with anything from the Seasonic Prime line. What are you running that warrants a 1000W PSU? If you're running stuff that needs 1000W like a 3080 or 3090, I would go even higher just to future proof it

7 hours ago, ShiZo1337 said:

Well, I found old focus psu's have problems from this PSU tier list. I'm looking to buy a replacement or get a replacement from seasonic. I'm looking at the prime 1000 titanium or platinum (is there a big difference?).

First, these issues wouldn't cause capacitors failure. Second, they were fixed in post 2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus. Third, current revision Seasonic Prime has similar issues, so if anything, replacing your Focus with Prime would just potentially make things worse if you're planning to upgrade the GPU. And lastly, PSU efficiency doesn't really correlate with it's quality and overall performance, there are 80+ Gold PSUs that i'd recommend over some 80+ Platinum/Titanium any day, including Prime PX/TX.

20 hours ago, Juular said:

First, these issues wouldn't cause capacitors failure. Second, they were fixed in post 2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus. Third, current revision Seasonic Prime has similar issues, so if anything, replacing your Focus with Prime would just potentially make things worse if you're planning to upgrade the GPU. And lastly, PSU efficiency doesn't really correlate with it's quality and overall performance, there are 80+ Gold PSUs that i'd recommend over some 80+ Platinum/Titanium any day, including Prime PX/TX.

What psu would you suggest?