17 inch or bigger laptops?

I've been looking around some and I've noticed that there are only a handful of large laptops around.

Anyone happen to know any large 17 inch or 19 inch (preferably) laptops? Preferably DELL, Lenovo. Definitely no Acer.

It seems companies only have a couple of 17 inch models and I've been unable to find any 19 inch so far.

It's a real shame because I happen to need tons of screen space for my work.

2 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

I've been looking around some and I've noticed that there are only a handful of large laptops around.

Anyone happen to know any large 17 inch or 19 inch (preferably) laptops? Preferably DELL, Lenovo. Definitely no Acer.

It seems companies only have a couple of 17 inch models and I've been unable to find any 19 inch so far.

The MSI GT83 Titan has an 18.4" screen but it's only 1080p ?

5 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

Unfortunately what you run into with a lot of larger laptops, especially like Dell and Lenovo is a larger screen but not as much resolution.

Is there perhaps another option you would consider? Portable monitor or if you sit at a desk maybe a dock?

Because the larger screen you can sit further away so the pixels dont have to be that small.
I have an Acer 18 inch 1080p notebook 5 years old. Still works perfect.
But they are rare to find, and very expensive.

Better get a small form factor PC and get a monitor with it.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Big screen = less mobility = why dont you get a desktop?

There's still the LG Gram 17 if performance isn't a big concern.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, HanZie82 said:

Because the larger screen you can sit further away so the pixels dont have to be that small.
I have an Acer 18 inch 1080p notebook 5 years old. Still works perfect.
But they are rare to find, and very expensive.

Better get a small form factor PC and get a monitor with it.

It's not about DPI, it's about real estate.

You can fit a lot more on a 1440p 18" screen than you can on a 1080p 18" screen.

41 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Big screen = less mobility = why dont you get a desktop?

There's still the LG Gram 17 if performance isn't a big concern.

Larger-screen laptops and desktop PCs are not even in the same ball park.

Just now, kingmustard said:

Larger-screen laptops and desktop PCs are not even in the same ball park.

I'm talking above 17.3", all those laptops are inch thick monsters pretty much

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

I'm talking above 17.3", all those laptops are inch thick monsters pretty much

It's a shame. They didn't have to be.

Addressing the comments so far:

A smaller screen with more resolution that has more contents but it won't do because I don't want to stare at tiny text all day.

I don't mind it being big and heavy.

I don't really like portable monitors but a dock is an option that I'm willing to consider but the laptop must have at least 17 inch screen.

A desktop isn't an option because I really need to carry it with me.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, Trinopoty said:

Addressing the comments so far:

A smaller screen with more resolution that has more contents but it won't do because I don't want to stare at tiny text all day.

I don't mind it being big and heavy.

I don't really like portable monitors but a dock is an option that I'm willing to consider but the laptop must have at least 17 inch screen.

A desktop isn't an option because I really need to carry it with me.

What are you planning on using it for?
As there are desktops that will fit in your pocket. ;)

Also do you have bad experience with Acer that your excluding them?
Oh and also give us a region to look in, as for now i will check the Netherlands but that might not be useful for you.
I wouldve advised this one https://www.coolblue.nl/product/831023/lenovo-ideapad-l340-17irh-81ll0039mh.html
Only 100 bucks more expencive then its Acer counterpart and only a little slower. :) No i dont work for Acer.

35 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

What are you planning on using it for?
As there are desktops that will fit in your pocket. ;)

Also do you have bad experience with Acer that your excluding them?
Oh and also give us a region to look in, as for now i will check the Netherlands but that might not be useful for you.
I wouldve advised this one https://www.coolblue.nl/product/831023/lenovo-ideapad-l340-17irh-81ll0039mh.html
Only 100 bucks more expencive then its Acer counterpart and only a little slower. :) No i dont work for Acer.

I work as a programmer and my current 15 inch screen is really irritating because I have to constantly keep shifting windows around in my IDE.

I have very bad experience with Acer products. My previous laptop was Acer and it had about 3 motherboard failures in about 1 year. My current laptop is also Acer and it's currently got multiple hardware failures in less than 2 years including motherboard and keyboard.

I'm in India and my max budget is $2000.

6 hours ago, Trinopoty said:

I work as a programmer and my current 15 inch screen is really irritating because I have to constantly keep shifting windows around in my IDE.

I have very bad experience with Acer products. My previous laptop was Acer and it had about 3 motherboard failures in about 1 year. My current laptop is also Acer and it's currently got multiple hardware failures in less than 2 years including motherboard and keyboard.

I'm in India and my max budget is $2000.

Ugh that sucks with them Acer's. My experience is from older models maybe thats why. But yeah after those issues i can udnerstand not wanting.
But is your current notebook good enough still? Maybe just get a portable monitor to plug into the notebook. 

Else yeah its gonna be 17,3 inch. Theres nothing really bigger currently afaik.
But with a budget that big check for a LG gram 17 or something. (also if not gaming that budget might be a bit to much tho, don't wanna waste money :) )

9 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Ugh that sucks with them Acer's. My experience is from older models maybe thats why. But yeah after those issues i can udnerstand not wanting.
But is your current notebook good enough still? Maybe just get a portable monitor to plug into the notebook. 

Else yeah its gonna be 17,3 inch. Theres nothing really bigger currently afaik.
But with a budget that big check for a LG gram 17 or something. (also if not gaming that budget might be a bit to much tho, don't wanna waste money :) )

I'll just look around a little bit more and just go with a big monitor if I can't find any.

Honestly most people who purchase laptops want at least some mobility, at the very least they need it to fit inside a normal size backpack.

15inch laptop, at least the ultra thin ones, can barely fit in a backpack already, 17 is really pushing it.

not to mention most of the bigger ones tend to have much higher grade hardware, i mean there are a lot of extra space, might as well pack some heat into it you know.......high end laptops can get really expensive, i dont think the demand is that high really, considering you can buy much better hardware with 3000 bucks, comparing it to laptop....

2 hours ago, Skooz said:

Honestly most people who purchase laptops want at least some mobility, at the very least they need it to fit inside a normal size backpack.

15inch laptop, at least the ultra thin ones, can barely fit in a backpack already, 17 is really pushing it.

not to mention most of the bigger ones tend to have much higher grade hardware, i mean there are a lot of extra space, might as well pack some heat into it you know.......high end laptops can get really expensive, i dont think the demand is that high really, considering you can buy much better hardware with 3000 bucks, comparing it to laptop....

I don't pursue thinness in my laptops. If it can't even get the job done because of how thin it is, then that thinness is useless to me. I'd rather get a fat laptop that gets the job done the way I need it. Honestly, I don't understand what the obsession with thin laptops is all about. It's meant to do a job not be thin and useless.

I currently own a pretty thick laptop at 1 inch. I wouldn't really mind it being thicker still is that's what gets the job done. But, I digress.

I'll look at some alternatives like docks, extra monitors etc.

6 hours ago, Trinopoty said:

I don't pursue thinness in my laptops. If it can't even get the job done because of how thin it is, then that thinness is useless to me. I'd rather get a fat laptop that gets the job done the way I need it. Honestly, I don't understand what the obsession with thin laptops is all about. It's meant to do a job not be thin and useless.

I currently own a pretty thick laptop at 1 inch. I wouldn't really mind it being thicker still is that's what gets the job done. But, I digress.

I'll look at some alternatives like docks, extra monitors etc.

you have to realized that most people do not need a beefy gpu in their laptop, since all they do is maybe play a video here and there, mostly text related work etc, everything can be easily handled by modern apu or intel hd. So then why would they prefer a heavy bulky laptop with much worse battery life?

For most people, thin and light is the way to go, its just people like us who need or prefer the performance that would pick heavier laptops.

21 minutes ago, Skooz said:

you have to realized that most people do not need a beefy gpu in their laptop, since all they do is maybe play a video here and there, mostly text related work etc, everything can be easily handled by modern apu or intel hd. So then why would they prefer a heavy bulky laptop with much worse battery life?

For most people, thin and light is the way to go, its just people like us who need or prefer the performance that would pick heavier laptops.

That is unfortunately the case. It used to be that DELL produced big mobile workstations some years ago. Can't seem to find it on their site now.

I understand that what I ask for in a laptop is best found in a desktop nowadays but nevertheless, it is a laptop that I need because I need to be able to carry it around.

It's a shame really that companies are no longer catering to this particular market.