i7 9700k vs R7 3700X

Hey,

I am building a new computer where i am going to use a RTX 2070 Super, eventhough the RX5700XT might be a better value, but that is not the question. The question is whether i should pick a 

Intel i7 9700K 

or.

Ryzen 7 3700X

And which motherboard you would suggest to the given CPU. The remaining specs sounds accordingly:

CPU:

• The thing in question

CPU Cooling:

• be quiet! Dark Rock 

Motherboard:

• Have looked at the vairous Aorus motherboard, primarily from Buildzoids often usage and recommendations of them, furthermore they fit with the Theme, Orange, Grey & Black. So based on the CPU pick, which motherboard would you recommend, preferably one of Aurus' options or something which is black and grey.

RAM:

• Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory x4. BLS8G4D30AESBK

Storage:

• ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, as it is the cheapest nvme ssd with the highest read and writes, here in denmark.

Graphics Card:

• Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card

Case:

• be quiet! Pure Base 500

Powersupply:

• be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

34 minutes ago, williywumme said:

RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory x4. BLS8G4D30AESBK

Why? you don't get a 8 cores processor to bottleneck it with single channel 8gb ram.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Why? you don't get a 8 cores processor to bottleneck it with single channel 8gb ram.

As stated in the description, it is 8gb x4, sorry if that was unclear

45 minutes ago, williywumme said:

RTX 2070 Super, eventhough the RX5700XT might be a better value, but that is not the question

I feel as though this may be personal

You need 16Gbs of dual channel RAM for sure

Better off with the 3700X IMO for the multi-threaded performance should you ever need it. Rather than 10% more fps on the intel CPU. Still going to be at 100+ fps in the average AAA game anyways with Ryzen.

But you really should save like $200 with the RX 5700/XT...Still has like 85-90% the same performance

The $200 boards are fine, the TUF or the Gigabyte Elite

Only get a pure base if you absolutely need a low noise floor as it's going to run hot, and don't get a version with a window.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I had the same doubt back in july and went with 3700x due to the extra threads for future proof and a bit cheaper, which with the diference i invested in a 480GB ssd. No regrets to be fair, even not being a good cpu for OC (it does reach 4.3-4.4 in some cores during games, 4.2 max all core load), it doesnt make much of a diference since it performs amazing. Also, u have fast enough RAM to go with it. Thats my opinion as a 3700x owner, maybe wait for a feedback of someone with the i7? As a mobo i went with tomahawk due to BIOS flash button, but here it is a list of vrms and quality of all boards for am4 and ryzen 3000: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818.

One thing, it runs a bit hot ( but i believe the 9700k also does), but the dark rock will be enough, just make sure to update the chipset and BIOS to the latest versions that fixes the voltage thing. :)

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I feel as though this may be personal

You need 16Gbs of dual channel RAM for sure

Better off with the 3700X IMO for the multi-threaded performance should you ever need it. Rather than 10% more fps on the intel CPU. Still going to be at 100+ fps in the average AAA game anyways with Ryzen.

But you really should save like $200 with the RX 5700/XT...Still has like 85-90% the same performance

The $200 boards are fine, the TUF or the Gigabyte Elite

Only get a pure base if you absolutely need a low noise floor as it's going to run hot, and don't get a version with a window.

Hi,

The ram is as mentioned 32GB, four-channel, considering 16gb in dual-channel as it has a performance benefit, however. The listed Memory is known for really great overclocking, like 4000MHz plus.

Okay, so you would personally pick the R7 3700X due to the gains in multithreaded workload, correct?

In regards to the graphics cards, the decision is not only evaluated based on gaming performance. The chosen graphics card must have CUDA cores, as it is used to accelerate my workload (Quant financial trading)

In regards to the motherboard, any of them would be fine, that I know, it was just if people had a preference and why they might have that. So that I could gain a broader and better perspective, before making 

Regarding the case, I am very well aware of the noise and thereby, thermal limitations. Which cases would you recommend in the same price point, in Denmark 600dkk, equalling 90 bucks approx?

- That said, I would prefer a low noise focused case or a case with more fans, as it is much appreciated to have a quiet machine.

Thanks for your input so far and I am looking forward to hearing more from you.

1 minute ago, williywumme said:

Hi,

The Define R4/5/6 all have a bit more airflow but are still quiet overall, for silence you want the least ammount of fans possible, and like the biggest CPU/GPU heatsinks.

Could also get a used 1080ti for the 11GBs of VRAM if your software likes VRAM.

It's not like desktop Ryzen has quad channel, so the difficulty of overclocking 4 sticks vs 2 sticks isn't going to be worth it, should just get 2 16GB sticks. Probably need an overclocking forum for more info.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Mateus Montemor said:

I had the same doubt back in july and went with 3700x due to the extra threads for future proof and a bit cheaper, which with the diference i invested in a 480GB ssd. No regrets to be fair, even not being a good cpu for OC (it does reach 4.3-4.4 in some cores during games, 4.2 max all core load), it doesnt make much of a diference since it performs amazing. Also, u have fast enough RAM to go with it. Thats my opinion as a 3700x owner, maybe wait for a feedback of someone with the i7? As a mobo i went with tomahawk due to BIOS flash button, but here it is a list of vrms and quality of all boards for am4 and ryzen 3000: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818.

One thing, it runs a bit hot ( but i believe the 9700k also does), but the dark rock will be enough, just make sure to update the chipset and BIOS to the latest versions that fixes the voltage thing. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your input and appreciate the honesty, regarding you only having experience with a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Okay, so you went with a B450 right? Or am i wrong here? I don't care; if it is X570 or B450, however, personally my thought process is that the X570 platform is more future proof, however, it is generally twice as much depending on the specific choice of course. Is X570 not worth it at any point?

Thanks for linking to the spreadsheet, I will take a closer look at that. VRM and newer platform, while being minimal looking is my parameters for making a choice, if that makes any sense. Yes, I admit, I am an aesthetics guy.

So what motherboard, would you recommend following the above-listed specifications. Please, ask further questions or generally state your opinion, so that I as beforementioned can broaden and improve my perspective before making a choice.

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The Define R4/5/6 all have a bit more airflow but are still quiet overall, for silence you want the least ammount of fans possible, and like the biggest CPU/GPU heatsinks.

Could also get a used 1080ti for the 11GBs of VRAM if your software likes VRAM.

It's not like desktop Ryzen has quad channel, so the difficulty of overclocking 4 sticks vs 2 sticks isn't going to be worth it, should just get 2 16GB sticks. Probably need an overclocking forum for more info.

Hi,

Thanks for your input again,

To summarize your input, so that i don't misunderstand anything.

1. Get a Define R4/5/6 instead of the Pure Base 500, which should not be with a window if that is the final choice.

2. I should maybe look at a used GTX 1080ti instead of the RTX 2070super. However, is it still worth it, if a used GTX 1080ti is the same cost if not more expensive than the RTX 2070 super here in Denmark. Yes the used PC market is broken overhere.

3. I should go dual-channel 16GB if choosing the Ryzen 7 3700X processor? and i will do further investigating in overclocking forums.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

26 minutes ago, WilliamVixoe said:

Hi,

This channel is dedicated to overclocking in any event.

A window is going to let out more noise than the foam side panels the pure base and R4/5/6 come with in some models.

Spoiler

17 hours ago, WilliamVixoe said:

Hi,

Thanks for your input and appreciate the honesty, regarding you only having experience with a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Okay, so you went with a B450 right? Or am i wrong here? I don't care; if it is X570 or B450, however, personally my thought process is that the X570 platform is more future proof, however, it is generally twice as much depending on the specific choice of course. Is X570 not worth it at any point?

Thanks for linking to the spreadsheet, I will take a closer look at that. VRM and newer platform, while being minimal looking is my parameters for making a choice, if that makes any sense. Yes, I admit, I am an aesthetics guy.

So what motherboard, would you recommend following the above-listed specifications. Please, ask further questions or generally state your opinion, so that I as beforementioned can broaden and improve my perspective before making a choice.

Yes, i went with b450, since back in july x570 prices were absurd, and the only difference is pcie gen4 (which ssds were also way overpriced). Since u said u care a lot about looks (i dont blame u, i love looks as well,but im limited by my money hahaha) i would go with any of the chipsets but with a ROG or Aorus since those are more "gaming" like with rgb and all that kind of stuff, so for example: you are building a orange/black theme, u can set the LEDs in the ROG mobo into orange, way simpler than buying a mobo that has orange parts, get it?

In the chipset battle, i would say x570 is nice because it will support further ryzen generations (not sure about that with b450) and pci gen 4 ssds will eventually come down in price, also if u buy a b450 u need to update your BIOS, thats why i choose MSI`s board, that doesnt need a 2nd gen ryzen CPU to update it.

Main rig: CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X cooled by a Noctua NH-U14S; Mem: 16 GB(2x8) G.Skill TridentZ White 3200 MHz; GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC; MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk; Storage: XPG Spectrix S40G M.2 512GB SSD; Kingston A400 480GB SSD; 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD; PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-modular (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Commander C36.

Secondary rig: CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @3.60GHz(Turbo @4.00GHz) cooled by Corsair H60; Mem: G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 16GB(4x4) OC@2133MHz (11-11-11-30 (1.6V)); GPU: None(for now); MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; Storage:HyperX 120GB; PSU: Thermaltake SmarT series 750w (80+ bronze); CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A41.