Internet Speed Difference: Wired vs WiFi on same ISP

Hi,

I am currently on a bundled phone and DSL plan and my initial internet speed was 2 MBPS max download speed (averaging 258 kbps on torrents and steam). My ISP made an upgrade and my max download speed became 5 MBPS.

However, whenever I run a speed test, it still shows 2 MBPS as the max download speed. The test was done using my Desktop PC connected to the modem via cable. But when I run the speed test using my mobile phone, which is connected to the modem via WiFi, the speed is 5 MBPS.I then bought a USB WiFi adapter and connected my Desktop PC via WiFi and I got max download speed of 5 MBPS (averaging 680+ kbps on torrents and steam).

I tried getting help from my ISP's tech support several times. They run remote diagnostic tests and claimed to have made changes to the settings on my account but alas, they could not help me and could not even answer why the connection speed is faster via WiFi over cable.

My suspicion is I need to replace the cable or the modem but my ISP's tech support said that no replacement was needed. Any thoughts on this?

Even a 100Mbit network cable should give you up to 12.5MB/s. I would try a different wired device with a different cable. See if it performs different.

I know it seems like a long shot, but have you disabled then re-enabled your ethernet port adapter? Sometimes it needs a bit of a kick to re-negotiate speeds with the modem, and sometimes it needs just a good reset.

23 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Even a 100Mbit network cable should give you up to 12.5MB/s. I would try a different wired device with a different cable. See if it performs different.

I only got one pc. I don't have a laptop too to test that.

18 hours ago, Palden said:

I know it seems like a long shot, but have you disabled then re-enabled your ethernet port adapter? Sometimes it needs a bit of a kick to re-negotiate speeds with the modem, and sometimes it needs just a good reset.

I already did that. Still the same results.

Well, next option I would try is turning auto-negotiate off on both the switch port and your PC, then setting both to 100 or 1G full duplex and trying that.

DSL still exists? Anyways what kind of modem do you have?

I like to play games and eat cookies.

I also build and sell gaming computers.

14 hours ago, prince10bee said:

DSL still exists? Anyways what kind of modem do you have?

I live in the Philippines, so yeah it still does.

9 minutes ago, Mortimer Reed said:

I live in the Philippines, so yeah it still does.

Oh my mistake, my connection is Fiber.