(Solved) Help! New network card not working in old motherboard.

Go to solution Solved by agent_x007,

Switch PCI-e port.

Maybe it's disabled for one reason or another (reasource sharing).

I've looked around best i can to find some information why my wireless adapter (intel ac 2960 with m.2 to pcie 1x adapter) wont work in this asrock z87 running windows 10 with updated bios. The bluetooth part works fine but the motherboard seems to have a problem with the wifi part. Usb wifi adapters work fine too. It works in my asus z97 same card+adapter setup. Is it a protocol support problem? Other people say its not working but not why. Just that its not compatible.What do i need to avoid to get a compatible network + bt5 card?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Problem computer:

Asrock z87 lga1155

Xeon 1250 v2

R9 290

8g ram

Win 10

Personal computer: (with ac 2960 working)

Asus z97

I7 4770k

1080ti

16g ram

Win 10

Did you mean Intel AC 9260?

What's the M.2 to PCIe 1x adapter that you're using?

Have you tried installing the drivers?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

On 10/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, TheKDub said:

Did you mean Intel AC 9260?

What's the M.2 to PCIe 1x adapter that you're using?

Have you tried installing the drivers?

Yes AC 9260. And  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFGYAX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_T0DPDbZSJQXKM

Of course, i have fully and completely installed the same setup on the other computer and it works fine like i said. Besides, windows has the drivers for it. But yes i did try and install the drivers but it wont even show up in device manager like it does on my Z97. 

6 hours ago, MythicalNinja said:

Yes AC 9260. And  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFGYAX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_T0DPDbZSJQXKM

Of course, i have fully and completely installed the same setup on the other computer and it works fine like i said. Besides, windows has the drivers for it. But yes i did try and install the drivers but it wont even show up in device manager like it does on my Z97. 

And you did connect it to a USB header as well? Maybe try a different header?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

9 hours ago, TheKDub said:

The usb is for the bluetooth part. and like i said that works fine. I really dont need hand holding i built both these computers and i dont need the whole "have you tried restating it" routine. If you don't have more to say than try unplugging it and plugging it back in then i don't need your help thx.

If anyone has more information on why network cards or bios/mobos or pcie parts wont work together or reasons why its not those things, would actually be helpful.

Maybe my best bet it contacting intel.

18 minutes ago, MythicalNinja said:

The usb is for the bluetooth part. and like i said that works fine. I really dont need hand holding i built both these computers and i dont need the whole "have you tried restating it" routine. If you don't have more to say than try unplugging it and plugging it back in then i don't need your help thx.

If anyone has more information on why network cards or bios/mobos or pcie parts wont work together or reasons why its not those things, would actually be helpful.

Maybe my best bet it contacting intel.

I'm just checking as part of the troubleshooting process, since you didn't provide the information that I was asking about in your post.

If you're going to be aggressive and unappreciative because of me trying to help you, then you're on your own, and don't expect anyone to want to help you.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:35 PM, TheKDub said:

You could try and find in windows features Wireless lan service and then install the drivers 

Switch PCI-e port.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

On 10/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, agent_x007 said:

Switch PCI-e port.

Tried all of them except the one the graphics card is in atm.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:33 AM, ZFarnworth said:

You could try and find in windows features Wireless lan service and then install the drivers 

Hence it won't even show up in device manager and the bios doesn't even know its there that cant work.

22 minutes ago, MythicalNinja said:

Tried all of them except the one the graphics card is in atm.

Ok so i tried putting gfx card in 16x slot #3 and network card in 16x slot #1 and the bios sees it now in any slot and it was working before i even signed in to windows. So im guessing the mobo was not looking for hardware changes or something. Thanks for the help! Im super glad its working now for whatever reason.