ram usage is out of control:solved

hello guys.

recently i have noticed that my pc is using more than 50% of my ram contently with me just sitting in desktop without any program open in the background.

task manager show nothing that require that amount of ram,my start up process is pretty clean with only 6 programs with auto start.

i am running windows 10 1903 update,thought it might be it.

i have already done the basic stuff like running my anti virus(avast primer and mb premium) booting up with only the necessary programs.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

solved: re install windows,no other way around it

1.png

2.png

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

13 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

hello guys.

recently i have noticed that my pc is using more than 50% of my ram contently with me just sitting in desktop without any program open in the background.

task manager show nothing that require that amount of ram,my start up process is pretty clean with only 6 programs with auto start.

i am running windows 10 1903 update,thought it might be it.

i have already done the basic stuff like running my anti virus(avast primer and mb premium) booting up with only the necessary programs.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

That's normal for modern operating systems, as they pre-allocate far more RAM for applications as a pre-emptive way to speed up launching Chrome with 20 tabs that auto-open from your last session, for example. My system has 24GB of RAM and regularly sits around 10GB used when I only have 15 Chrome tabs open, Spotify, and Discord (aka also Chrome) but nothing else. When I only had 16GB ram, my system would scale pre-allocated RAM accordingly, only pre-allocating 6GB to 8GB of RAM when I had the same stuff open. 

image.png.b56c8f2c4177eed7c4e8ac251e902cc6.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

just for the sake of completeness:

open cmd as administrator and type:

sfc /scannow

and let me know what that says.

besides that.. i'm seeing vmware, it's not that you're accidentially running a VM in the background or something, right?

Just now, kirashi said:

That's normal for modern operating systems, as they pre-allocate far more RAM for applications as a pre-emptive way to speed up launching Chrome with 20 tabs that auto-open from your last session, for example. My system has 24GB of RAM and regularly sits around 10GB used when I only have 15 Chrome tabs open, Spotify, and Discord (aka also Chrome) but nothing else. When I only had 16GB ram, my system would scale pre-allocated RAM accordingly, only pre-allocating 6GB to 8GB of RAM when I had the same stuff open. 

it doesnt show caching in this way tho, seeing reported 8GB ram usage at full idle is way out of proportion, even for 32GB systems.

example of a (fairly) normal idle memory usage, have to note that i have an exceptionally high background usage, and am running chrome with youtube as well.

image.png.24f396c85dd2565eeb26148de74533b7.png

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

but it was never like that before,i have (mostly)the same system for a year and with 20 tabs open on Mozilla i would hit like 6-7 gb of ram,it is the same on my work pc(xeon+16gb of ram)

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

just for the sake of completeness:

open cmd as administrator and type:

sf

sfc /scannow

and let me know what that says.

besides that.. i'm seeing vmware, it's not that you're accidentially running a VM in the background or something, right?

nope, from the last windows update i can't open vmware+ i turn off my vm ware when i finish working on them and non of the vms set to automatically boot of with the host machine.

sfc actually found some corrupted files and repaired them.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

Just now, aBattleBorn said:

, from the last windows update i can't open vmware

i expected that, VMware, as usual, has issues with the latest build. i've actually had issues with this at work on a customer's laptop.

Just now, aBattleBorn said:

reboot and go again until it said it couldnt find anything wrong, then see what ram usage does.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it doesnt show caching in this way tho, seeing reported 8GB ram usage at full idle is way out of proportion, even for 32GB systems.

example of a (fairly) normal idle memory usage, have to note that i have an exceptionally high background usage, and am running chrome with youtube as well.

Fair, I mean, I always forget that I do have a lot more than just Chrome, Spotify, and Discord open... :P No virtualization, but I do run 5 cloud storage services, a couple of Desktop Windows Management enhancement apps, real-time audio routing software, and MeetFranz which is yet another Chrome based app that keeps all my communication platforms (aside from Discord) in a single window.

image.png.f8388e8d046b0d2325cbb90bab74286a.png

1 minute ago, aBattleBorn said:

but it was never like that before,i have (mostly)the same syste, for a year and with 20 tabs open on mozila i would hit like 6-7 gb of ram,it is the same on my work pc(xeon+16gb of ram)

nope, from the last windows update i can't open vmware+ i turn off my vm ware when i finish working on them and non of the vms set to automatically boot of with the host machine.

Good to know it was using less RAM previously - in that case, it's time to play the process of elimination game, turning off EVERYTHING that would auto-start with your system, including MBAM, Avast, RGB Fusion, and Steam, as well as performing multiple SFC / SCANNOW's as @manikyath noted.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, manikyath said:

i expected that, VMware, as usual, has issues with the latest build. i've actually had issues with this at work on a customer's laptop.

reboot and go again until it said it couldnt find anything wrong, then see what ram usage does.

i have actually rebooted already,ram usage seem fine so far,ill check it again tomorrow to see if it is actually fixed the problem.

that suck cause i am now on a week vacation and planned to use my home pc for a lot of mcsa labs,welp guess ill use hyper v for now.

2 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

hat suck cause i am now on a week vacation and planned to use my home pc for a lot of mcsa labs,welp guess ill use hyper v for now.

if you've got windows 10 pro (or enterprise, i suppose..) and you're running windows VM's, there is honestly no reason to not use Hyperv.

13 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Fair, I mean, I always forget that I do have a lot more than just Chrome, Spotify, and Discord open... :P No virtualization, but I do run 5 cloud storage services, a couple of Desktop Windows Management enhancement apps, real-time audio routing software, and MeetFranz which is yet another Chrome based app that keeps all my communication platforms (aside from Discord) in a single window.

Good to know it was using less RAM previously - in that case, it's time to play the process of elimination game, turning off EVERYTHING that would auto-start with your system, including MBAM, Avast, RGB Fusion, and Steam, as well as performing multiple SFC / SCANNOW's as @manikyath noted.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you've got windows 10 pro (or enterprise, i suppose..) and you're running windows VM's, there is honestly no reason to not use Hyperv.

it's best to know how to work with both of them,i just prefer vmware

well i ran 2 more sfc /scannow with 2 restarts in between and found nothing,so lets hope this fixed the problem,ill update tomorrow cause its 1 am here and im tired lol.

and ill try the clean boot test anyhow tomorrow.

thanks for the help guys,have a good one

On 10/13/2019 at 12:46 AM, manikyath said:

On 10/13/2019 at 12:40 AM, kirashi said:

so it didn't work,my system still chug ram like its free, tried clean boot which helped to clear some of the ram.

the thing is after boot ram usage will be fine than after few hours my system would use 9 gb of ram or more.

so right now i turned off superfetch(sysmain) ill check to see if it help in the next few days.

i also did some work with vmware(updated to the latest version and it works now lol) ran 2 vms with 4gb dynamically allocated which put me on 15.6-15.8/16 which mean my system don't free up memory for programs when needed.

if you have any new suggestion i will be happy to hear them.

thanks in advance