Failing RX 590?

TreyYaBoy
Go to solution Solved by c00face,
2 hours ago, TreyYaBoy said:

Do you think if i sent it in to get a replacement id get a properly functioning card? Also it works when it wants to now, sometimes it flickers sometimes it doesnt and sometimes it fails completely and resets everything. All in all its like flipping a coin to see if i get to play a game.

it's your ram. if you have an extra usb laying around, download https://www.memtest86.com/ and create a bootable usb. run the test to see if there's anything going on with your ram.

you'll have to test every ram one at a time to see which one is causing the artifacts and random crashing. if your pc ram pass the test and you tested each one separately, then you'll have to suspect it's your GPU vram. unfortunately it's a bit more costly to fix those. if you still have warranty (which i assume you do, you should RMA it immediately.) signs of bad vram when you just bought the gpu is bad for the longevity of the card. 

I recently bought an all AMD PC with an RX 590 a week ago and have had green lines and artifacts appear on my screen on day 4. Before then it worked fine and ran forza, apex etc on ultra and temps never went above 55C max By now anytime i try to load any game my screen goes black and the entire pc shuts down and restarts, is this a faulty or defective gpu or could this be another issue with a different component, ive tried everything including making sure wires are secure, the gpu is properly seated, all drivers and motherboard bios is updated, ive switched monitors used different hdmi cords to no avail. I want to be sure its the gpu before i replace it with a new RX. How can i be sure and is there anyway to fix this or is it too far gone? (I have not overclocked or toyed with any component.)

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
PRIME B450-A MOBO
16GB ADATA XPG RAM
RX 590 PHANTOM GAMING 8GB
600W THERMALTAKE 80+ GOLD PSU

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think a failing GPU would cause the system to shutdown/restart. Although the artifacts and the like may be due to the GPU, I have a feeling you may need to check your other components before you try and replace it. Some things I would check are your RAM, your CPU temps (Modern CPUs will shut themselves off if they get too hot, which in turn turns off your computer), and maybe even a faulty power supply. If all of those are fine, then I suspect you would be right about your GPU.   

6 hours ago, Lot Qahnaarin said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think a failing GPU would cause the system to shutdown/restart. Although the artifacts and the like may be due to the GPU, I have a feeling you may need to check your other components before you try and replace it. Some things I would check are your RAM, your CPU temps (Modern CPUs will shut themselves off if they get too hot, which in turn turns off your computer), and maybe even a faulty power supply. If all of those are fine, then I suspect you would be right about your GPU.   

Thanks for your help, would there be any way to test these components to make sure?

For the CPU, there is a lot of free software that can monitor its temperature, most motherboards even monitor it themselves. To check the motherboard's reading you need to go into the BIOS/UEFI. For the PSU, you would either need a Multimeter or a PSU Tester. PSU testers are much  easier to use because they are designed to test a PSU. I don't think I can adequately explain over text how to use a to test a PSU with a multimeter, so you would need to look up a guide for that one. For the Memory, you could buy a memory tester, I'm not actually sure how to test it without one. The good thing about buying these tools is that in the future you can use them, so if you do go the route of using the tools, I'd say they are a good investment. 

Happy Troubleshooting. 

20 hours ago, Lot Qahnaarin said:

For the CPU, there is a lot of free software that can monitor its temperature, most motherboards even monitor it themselves. To check the motherboard's reading you need to go into the BIOS/UEFI. For the PSU, you would either need a Multimeter or a PSU Tester. PSU testers are much  easier to use because they are designed to test a PSU. I don't think I can adequately explain over text how to use a to test a PSU with a multimeter, so you would need to look up a guide for that one. For the Memory, you could buy a memory tester, I'm not actually sure how to test it without one. The good thing about buying these tools is that in the future you can use them, so if you do go the route of using the tools, I'd say they are a good investment. 

Happy Troubleshooting. 

The cpu never gets above 55c neither does my gpu still. But ive noticed the usage spikes from 5-13 to 99-100% which is very abnormal considering playing those games before updating my bios the cpu never went about 80% and thats pushing it. It usually hovered around 20-50.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lot Qahnaarin said:

Just had a faulty RX 570 that would cause the system to abruptly shut down. Did it in multiple systems. Happened at idle or under stress.

11 minutes ago, horsemama1956 said:

Just had a faulty RX 570 that would cause the system to abruptly shut down. Did it in multiple systems. Happened at idle or under stress.

Do you think if i sent it in to get a replacement id get a properly functioning card? Also it works when it wants to now, sometimes it flickers sometimes it doesnt and sometimes it fails completely and resets everything. All in all its like flipping a coin to see if i get to play a game.

2 hours ago, TreyYaBoy said:

it's your ram. if you have an extra usb laying around, download https://www.memtest86.com/ and create a bootable usb. run the test to see if there's anything going on with your ram.

you'll have to test every ram one at a time to see which one is causing the artifacts and random crashing. if your pc ram pass the test and you tested each one separately, then you'll have to suspect it's your GPU vram. unfortunately it's a bit more costly to fix those. if you still have warranty (which i assume you do, you should RMA it immediately.) signs of bad vram when you just bought the gpu is bad for the longevity of the card. 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:59 AM, c00face said:

Im in the process of an RMA, ive tested my ram and its worked fine, the gpu was the only thing that underperformed and had problems.  So just to be safe im sending the power supply and gpu back, and buying a corsair 650w gold-platinum psu and waiting for a brand new gpu to be shipped back, thanks for your reply and time.