You thought RDR2 needed space? - Call of Duty storage requirements

LukeSavenije
2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I never use Steam to move my games from one library location to another (didn't even realize you could do it that way).  I just move the game directory and the ACF file over to the new location, launch Steam and it picks it right up.

That sounds like you're moving the entire library, not just 1 game.

#Muricaparrotgang

13 hours ago, Jito463 said:

No, I move the game and the corresponding ACF file.  Why would that sound like I'm moving the entire library?

I don't know. whatever. I don't know what the acf file is. You can't just copy and paste the game folder from one hard drive to another and have it work. Either way you have to do some BS.

#Muricaparrotgang

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I don't know what the acf file is

Its in the steamapps folder: appmanifest_*.acf. Its a simple text file that contains info about the game.

7 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

You can't just copy and paste the game folder from one hard drive to another and have it work.

Steam does that when you move a game between library folders, or you can do it manually as Jito463 wrote.

image.png.1d4eb2b5d4411748748aedeac5b2dfc3.png

image.png.5ac244efdfce7168058acc95f49df0bf.png

Anyway, this file size is hardly surprising.  In fact, if I plot GTA IV and V along with this (two other big games) it's pretty much in line:

image.png.547be7e47e09dbc381bc8ff4dc5ed03a.png

I know there's more that I'd like to include but I forget the names.  If you know any let me know and I'll add them.

All I can hope is that this is actually necessary and not the result of something incredibly stupid like having all sounds in wav format and all textures in bmp.  I've heard people say that some games have done that before and I want to believe that it's not true.

The real winner is Flight Sim 2020 though.  It's going to be 2 PB and as such you actually won't install it but rather the files will stream from the Microsoft cloud servers on demand.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Its in the steamapps folder: appmanifest_*.acf. Its a simple text file that contains info about the game.

Steam does that when you move a game between library folders, or you can do it manually as Jito463 wrote.

Well forgive me for not digging around through the myriad of random ass steam folders. I'm still butthurt they can't even make the screenshot folders have the name of the game instead of the random x# digit steam app id#.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

image.png.547be7e47e09dbc381bc8ff4dc5ed03a.png

Okay, go back to the early 2000's. It's more of an exponential growth than a linear one. Most games during the 360 where ~10gb, with Xbox and PS2 being ~2 on average. Exceptionally large games were 4gb, and still fit on a DVD.

If you want a few other "big game" examples, MGS4 was one of, if not the largest game at the time, basically maxing out the blu-ray disc. There's The Witcher 3 too.

Either way, I'm still not convinced that COD should take more space than a massive highly detailed open world.

#Muricaparrotgang

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Okay, go back to the early 2000's. It's more of an exponential growth than a linear one. Most games during the 360 where ~10gb, with Xbox and PS2 being ~2 on average. Exceptionally large games were 4gb, and still fit on a DVD.

I was thinking about bringing this up actually.  You're right, it is, and the thing is, you would expect it to be since everything in tech is exponential and always has been.  The fact that this game is linear shows that, really, the growth trend is actually slowing down.

If you want a few other "big game" examples, MGS4 was one of, if not the largest game at the time, basically maxing out the blu-ray disc. There's The Witcher 3 too.

Either way, I'm still not convinced that COD should take more space than a massive highly detailed open world.

This is going to sound stupid but I'm finding myself unable to determine the space of MGS4.  There seems to have been a few games over history that have been called that and based on your description I can tell that what's coming up in my search is not what I'm looking for.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:51 AM, Delicieuxz said:

The i5 2500K is almost 9 years old. It's a statement on how little CPUs and also games have progressed in the previous many years that a 2500K can still be listed as the "recommended" requirement for a AAA game. In the 90s and 2000s, a top-end CPU would already be outdated and often barely able to run new games once it was maybe 2.5 years old. Now, a premium CPU seems like it's relevant almost indefinitely. Consoles becoming the primary development target after Xbox and PS2 came out gradually brought the rapid pace of visual and PC hardware progress to nearly a standstill.

Or... look at it as CPUs have progressed so far that they don't need leaps and bounds in computing power as the shift is towards 4k and even 8k which is heavily GPU bound. Also developers have gotten better at compatibility and compressing and streamlining their games and game engines to not need a new high end CPU for every new game. Hell, even 10 year old pcs, slap a new SSD in it and it can still run most any current normal business app or game (depending on GPU) no problem. HDD and SSD speeds are where the bottle neck has been for years, the fastest nvme drives are being maxed out with average CPUs these days. Even RAM speeds are just now finally catching up lol.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was thinking about bringing this up actually.  You're right, it is, and the thing is, you would expect it to be since everything in tech is exponential and always has been.  The fact that this game is linear shows that, really, the growth trend is actually slowing down.

This is going to sound stupid but I'm finding myself unable to determine the space of MGS4.  There seems to have been a few games over history that have been called that and based on your description I can tell that what's coming up in my search is not what I'm looking for.

Well there's "Install size" and actual size. I don't know if the game was ever digital to be downloaded, but it maxed out a 50gb blu-ray.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

Well there's "Install size" and actual size. I don't know if the game was ever digital to be downloaded, but it maxed out a 50gb blu-ray.

Yeah the requirements don't always perfectly match the actual install.  For example, GTA V recommends 72 GB based on what I found online, and yet, I distinctly remember the initial install amounting to ~65 GB.  I just checked today though and it's up to 86.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah the requirements don't always perfectly match the actual install.  For example, GTA V recommends 72 GB based on what I found online, and yet, I distinctly remember the initial install amounting to ~65 GB.  I just checked today though and it's up to 86.

Well i mean during the PS3 it wasn't super common to actually install the entire game, so there's a good chance it just installs a few GB with the rest of the data still being stored on the disc.

I am wondering what happened to that 100+gb Blu-ray disc Sony was developing... Although at this point I'd still be happy if I could just have 2 discs and install from that.

#Muricaparrotgang

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

All I can hope is that this is actually necessary and not the result of something incredibly stupid like having all sounds in wav format and all textures in bmp.  I've heard people say that some games have done that before and I want to believe that it's not true.

Having uncompressed sound would be great, but I don't see the point in something like 8K textures, not if the game is over 150-200GB in size.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The real winner is Flight Sim 2020 though.  It's going to be 2 PB and as such you actually won't install it but rather the files will stream from the Microsoft cloud servers on demand.

F for people that have data caps or don't have a 1GB fiber line.

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Well i mean during the PS3 it wasn't super common to actually install the entire game, so there's a good chance it just installs a few GB with the rest of the data still being stored on the disc.

I am wondering what happened to that 100+gb Blu-ray disc Sony was developing... Although at this point I'd still be happy if I could just have 2 discs and install from that.

Ah, I was thinking more about the PC space where devs are free to take as much space as they need and you end up with things like this beast.  I don't imagine swapping disks while you play would be a good experience so console games have to fit on the largest compatible medium, at least until they figure out digital downloads.

32 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's gonna be a whole lotta fun... Probably won't be playing very often with high texture settings.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Having uncompressed sound would be great, but I don't see the point in something like 8K textures, not if the game is over 150-200GB in size.

There's no reason to have uncompressed audio, it's simply wasteful.  Even if it was losslessly compressed that would be better, but in the heat of battle, it's not like you're going to run into a situation where audiophiles will stop and say "ew, I can detect that 320 kb/s mp3 compression, unplayable!" xD

I'd imagine the bulk of the size is in textures, regardless of compression or not.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

F for people that have data caps or don't have a 1GB fiber line.

I think they'll let you cache as much as you want, but obviously most people will only be able to take small portions at a time.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, I was thinking more about the PC space where devs are free to take as much space as they need and you end up with things like this beast.  I don't imagine swapping disks while you play would be a good experience so console games have to fit on the largest compatible medium, at least until they figure out digital downloads.

*cough*

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

*cough*

omfg xD Never in a million years would I have imagined they would actually do this... wow

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

omfg xD Never in a million years would I have imagined they would actually do this... wow

That game also had you temporarily install every mission, which took like 5 minutes every time. 

#Muricaparrotgang

On 10/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, Zando Bob said:

Hell yeah, that's the fun in sims. Closest thing I've played is RealFight G5, an R/C Plane sim. Me and my siblings used to have all sorts of fun in that, it even let you modify planes so if you wanted the paintball one to shoot painballs 300 feet across, you could do that. Wanted it to magically carry 200 rockets inside a normal R/C plane and then fire them in bursts of 10 at what seems like near light speed and triple the explosion size? Done. And again we didn't have to buy R/C planes and spend hundreds when we crashed them, just slapped the reset button and bam all better. I don't think we ever really took it seriously lol, mostly just did goofy stuff. Though putting it in cockpit view (some of the planes actually had accurate cockpits) and cruising along through 2010-era sim graphics mountains in a model L-39 felt really damn good, even using an R/C controller and not a proper joystick and everything like a real plane. 

And if anyone is interested in diving into the somewhat bonkers world of Flight sims, apparently Il-2 is doing a major sale just before the final release of Battle of Bodenplatte, with all of the release packs going to $20 each: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-stalingrad/

If you're just starting out in flight sims, I'd recommend the Battle of Stalingrad Premium edition, because the La-5 is both new pilot friendly and is still competitive with late war fighters. The La-5FN or Yak-1B are better, but are only sold as collectors planes, and the Battle of Kuban planes, while later war, are trickier to handle.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, NumLock21 said:

7,200rpm drives aren't as fast as 5,400rpm drives. Yes they are faster, but not blazing fast, but it also depends on the size.

Black.JPG.c228730645e5baa49721aa9938b243c6.JPG

Blue.JPG.5dcc2b6ca8b23349ad2ad7a6d6ee869a.JPG

Red.JPG.1cb04f8e3c140dea3efdf2b4d93f8fcc.JPG

Access times are important. And that's why you should go with 7200rpm over 5400rpm. It was like that in the late 90's early 2000's, and its like that now.
Theoretical transfer rates aren't as important as you think. Otherwise even early SSD wouldn't have made computers feel so much faster.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I can see future games requiring more storage from us

I almost maxed out my 4TB HDD because of Videos alone, and my 2TB HDD is filled halfway already. 500GB 860 Evo is maxed out from games, and 1TB 860QVO is halfway.

Gonna need to replace that 2TB with a 4TB HDD when I saved up enough.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

38 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

I'm glad I bought a second terabyte ssd

MX500?