"BitTorrent Sync used to create decentralized web browser"

TopWargamer

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-sync-used-to-create-decentralized-web-browser-140204/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Called SyncNet, Minardi’s tool is built on BitTorrent Sync, the powerful Dropbox-like software launched last year by BitTorrent Inc. While in its basic form Sync is generally used for syncing files and folders between machines, friends and co-workers, in its SyncNet application it is used to store and distribute HTML, images and other web content.

“To add your own content to SyncNet you just need to add a directory of HTML files to BitTorrent Sync,” Minardi explains.

By self-publishing websites locally, everyone with access to a machine through BitTorrent Sync/SyncNet can view it peer-to-peer without the need to access a traditional server-based website. Any changes to the website are automatically pushed to users and since BitTorrent Sync has a feature to grant users read-only access, there’s no risk of unauthorized modification of content.

So much win, just, so much. So in a jist, this "web browser" allows you to view LOCALLY stored websites on a peer-to-peer network, so there's no need for a server to store the website, or for you to access a server in order to get onto a website. Wow, now that's just plain cool. I want to see some websites popping up that use this P2P network as its foundation, just to see how it works. 

So, just saying, but it looks like there are now 3 parts of the Internet: the Internet, the DeepNet, and the Peer-To-Peer Net, as I'd like to call it. 

Thoughts on the P2P web browser/idea? Do you think this will be successful? 

Oh, and you can download SyncNet right here: https://github.com/jminardi/syncnet

well-start-our-own-internet-with-blackja

COMIC SANS

not surprised since alot of government is trying to control it

major win for true freedom

I bet Linus Torlvalds is creaming his pants right now. 

COMIC SANS

so this is the pirate browser they were talking about

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

so this is the pirate browser they were talking about

No, no it's not. TPB is still working on the new version of The Pirate Browser which will include TPB's new way of browsing and downloading torrents. SyncNet is in no way associated with TPB. 

COMIC SANS

No, no it's not. TPB is still working on the new version of The Pirate Browser which will include TPB's new way of browsing and downloading torrents. SyncNet is in no way associated with TPB. 

well it sounded like this was the stuff they were planing 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So much for government, ips, or any other idiot's internent censorship...

the killjoys will find a way to stop it, after all all traffic has to go through an isp's network, won't they just start packet sniffing for this kind of thing and block it? or Is it lot more insidious than that?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

not surprised since alot of government is trying to control it

major win for true freedom

Unless its the government that is really behind it all, and they are just tricking us into it.

Oh, and true freedom doesn't exist.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

the killjoys will find a way to stop it, after all all traffic has to go through an isp's network, won't they just start packet sniffing for this kind of thing and block it? or Is it lot more insidious than that?

Encrypt the traffic, or find a way to tunnel it, ISPs generally cannot see encrypted packets. So they wouldn't be able to know what the packets contain.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

As someone studying IT at uni...

amazed-meme.gif

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Thats quite cool ive been using bit toorent sync and loving it but this is a cool use for the tech!

If it is peer-to-peer, and websites are stored locally, does that mean that if I use it, I could be inadvertently hosting websites that I would rather not host?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

If it is peer-to-peer, and websites are stored locally, does that mean that if I use it, I could be inadvertently hosting websites that I would rather not host?

Yes but no since you knowing accessed the website using that tech so its understood that that would be whats happening.

i think it's too dangerous, to have the whole website as a whole to be a node...

so... what i think they should do instead, is the there would be a website, then if one person goes to the website, then half of the website would be holded by the server, and half on the person, and the half of the website would be hosted by that person and so when the third person comes, he downloads the content he is reading, and when closed the broswer, he would become a node and host 1/3 of the website;

so the more people is hosting the website, the less likely, you would be hosting a whole virus script, but rather maybe 1/4 of the virus? then it wouldn't be functional;

and the person who makes the website and updates it only updates it for the server, and all parts of the website would have a time stamp with them.

and the rest you work it out...

Well lets see.

1. This will allow sites to use BitCoin as currency for pretty much anything and leave the middle man (aka Gov.) out of it.

2. This will allow pretty much anyone to have their own website minus the host provider fee/hassle.

3. This will allow content providers pay per view access to "extra" content the freebies can't see and be done sans advertising from companies that have nothing to do with the content and give content providers cash in hand, not some web counting and percentage cuts/profits. (see 1)

4. Much like TV/Movies these days, you will be able to have your web content with you so even if the internet is powered off you can still see the content you downloaded.

Negatives?

1. Content providers will have to rely on word of mouth/referrals for new customers. So basically only good content makes it and the crap goes down the sewer like it should.

2. Going to need some extra storage for this content, especially video.

3. Can't recall info dispersed, once its out its out.

4. Illegal content will be even easier to disperse, the number of PirateBays to increase exponentially.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.