About temps and upgrade cycle

what do you think about having higher temps for the sake  of looks. reason to save money, or just don't care.

seems like there lots of people that pick bad air flow cases over looks or just didn't no it was a bad case. the people that complaint that your pc runs 3 degrees hotter should you care ? and why.

how long do you want your pc to last? are we at a point were are pc are so powerful that it will be still a good pc10+ years form now and heck may even be a good gaming pc?

how long do you go till upgrading? do you build he best pc that money can buy (or makes scene) or do you build a budget build that you upgrade over time or in a few years or build a new pc in a few years.

do you think about what you can sell your stuff for a few years form now or 10 years form now or don't care.

most pc's can last at least 10 years but will it be even be usable or even care about it in 10 years anyway

or do you build your pc to get the temps as low as possible so it will last longer.

what i think:  as long as the games i play don't lag i don't really care about resolution. and as of late i mostly just watch people play games on youtube then play them myself. if games didn't have micro transactions or pay to win i would care more about playing. i mostly play mindcraft, diablo 2, no man sky, but there are a lot of old games that are good, cheap and fun to play that i have not played like borderlands or skyrim or titans quest haha. maybe your in the same bot and put off building an epic build for gaming and just build for looks and fun like me.

Plz Moderators don't move this post for at lest a week. once it gets moved the Discussion stops! this is supposed to be a community Discussion forms!

grammar nazi's plz don't post!

Edited by LogicalDrm

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I'm not really the best person to talk about this as I'm using God awful components, but I'll give you my opinion anyways. 

Temps vs Looks?

As I have always put my desktop on the ground I would go for temps. 

How long do you want your pc to last?

As long a I live

How long do you expect your pc to last?

5 years

How long do you got till upgrading? 

As long as I still have 60fps at 1080p mediums settings 

Do you care about 3 degrees? 

Meh.

Will PC's of today be good 10 years from now? 

Not by a longshot. I'm going to be surprised if 8k haven't become the new 4k by 2023

Main PC: ROG Zephyrus G14 2020
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS |

RAM : 16Gb DDR4 |

GPU : Nvidia GTX 1660Ti Max Q |

Storage : 512Gb NVme SSD |

Secondary PC:

CPU Xeon E5 2620 v3 |

Mobo : Jingsha X99 D4 |

RAM : 16Gb DDR4 |

Cooler : Deepcool Ice Edge Mini FS V2 |

GPU : Nvidia GTX750Ti |

Storage : Samsung 860 EVO 250gb (OS) |

PSU : Super Flower SF-500R12N |

Case : Cube Gaming Fernos |

Peripherals:

Monitor : AOC 24G2 |

Keyboard : Digital Alliance Meca Fighter Ice - Akko CS Vintage White |

Mouse : HyperX Pulsefire Haste |

Headphones : Phillips SHP9500 |

Mic : Taffware BM800 |

Mic Arm : Some cheap bogstandard arm |

7 minutes ago, LiquidKaffe said:

I'm not really the best person to talk about this as I'm using God awful components, but I'll give you my opinion anyways. 

Temps vs Looks?

As I have always put my desktop on the ground I would go for temps. 

How long do you want your pc to last?

As long a I live

How long do you expect your pc to last?

5 years

How long do you got till upgrading? 

As long as I still have 60fps at 1080p mediums settings 

Do you care about 3 degrees? 

Meh.

Will PC's of today be good 10 years from now? 

Not by a longshot. I'm going to be surprised if 8k haven't become the new 4k by 2023

hmm good point. resolution could be the option to upgrade in the future. also better vr as well. my self i have no idea what my monitor is i think is 60 herz. and i don't really care about how things look so long as its not lagy. so 60 fps is probably were im happy at as well. if there were good looking games that were fun and not full of micro transactions and pay to win then maybe id care a little more.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

I did not care about heat until throttling became a thing for me and that only happen to me about the same time as 1080p resolution came along.

In 2011 I went high air flow with Cooler Master HAF cases. Before them I played with the side panels open and sometimes with a fan pointed at them.

As for a computer lasting 10 years or even 5 years it is really up to the game developers and they are looking at 4k and RT. 

I had a 386 when the original Doom came out and it was a slideshow so I had to get a 486. After that I had to upgrade a GPU or CPU about every 6 months to keep up with the games. It stayed that way until we became second class citizens to the consoles. 

Now that PC gaming is on the move again it is upgrade or be left behind again. 

Resolution and Refresh rate are playing a part as well since 1440p 144hz has replaced 1080p 60hz as the most desirable setup but there is not a GPU made that can take full advantage of it. 

Then there is 4k. You may have noticed that the 4k 144hz monitors are coming down in price. They are at about the price that 1440p 144hz monitors were back in 2015. They will only get cheaper.

The same with VR. I ready want more resolution that what my Rift S can give but its resolution is much higher than 1440p. You have to keep frames over 80 for it to work properly and that is very hard for most computers.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

3 minutes ago, jones177 said:

I did not care about heat until throttling became a thing for me and that only happen to me about the same time as 1080p resolution came along.

In 2011 I went high air flow with Cooler Master HAF cases. Before them I played with the side panels open and sometimes with a fan pointed at them.

As for a computer lasting 10 years or even 5 years it is really up to the game developers and they are looking at 4k and RT. 

I had a 386 when the original Doom came out and it was a slideshow so I had to get a 486. After that I had to upgrade a GPU or CPU about every 6 months to keep up with the games. It stayed that way until we became second class citizens to the consoles. 

Now that PC gaming is on the move again it is upgrade or be left behind again. 

Resolution and Refresh rate are playing a part as well since 1440p 144hz has replaced 1080p 60hz as the most desirable setup but there is not a GPU made that can take full advantage of it. 

Then there is 4k. You may have noticed that the 4k 144hz monitors are coming down in price. They are at about the price that 1440p 144hz monitors were back in 2015. They will only get cheaper.

The same with VR. I ready want more resolution that what my Rift S can give but its resolution is much higher than 1440p. You have to keep frames over 80 for it to work properly and that is very hard for most computers.

ya i got an caselabs th10 case (the bigest you can get ) and i put 38 cheap fans in there. at the time i cared more about air flow and number of fans that i got a side panel with a vent instead of a window and i got a gpu bracket that you an attach 4 more 120m fans too.... haha

ya my friend had a 486 good times good times

ya back then your wallet determent how good of pc you had then and the games were way more demanding then today. i grew up with a voodoo 2. good for 3dfx games but lots of games would not run with it.... i guess that just shows how good we have it to day what you money can buy.

ya monitors and tvs are getting cheaper and cheaper.

i played vr once and loved it but for the cost for games and having space to setup is my problem but in time it will get cheaper.

8 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Was this intentionally written by a 5 year old or do you just not speak English.

just never been good with writing.

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

Plz Moderators don't move this post for at lest a week. once it gets moved the Discussion stops! this is supposed to be a community Discussion forms!

I was about to move and leave it to Air Cooling. Which is the best subforum if you want to actually have discussion about temps in relation to lifetime. Because there are the people who care and have opinions about it (we've clashed on the topic few times in the past).

However, this seems to be more about upgrade cycle in general than just the temps being anything to do with it (temps are only factor in first paragraph), so I'll let another mod move it, if so decided.

I did change title to better represent content.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I was about to move and leave it to Air Cooling. Which is the best subforum if you want to actually have discussion about temps in relation to lifetime. Because there are the people who care and have opinions about it (we've clashed on the topic few times in the past).

However, this seems to be more about upgrade cycle in general than just the temps being anything to do with it (temps are only factor in first paragraph), so I'll let another mod move it, if so decided.

I did change title to better represent content.

thx i get it but my last post talking about how much rgb and the second it got moved i got no post's. i just wanted to talk to people about stuff that all

I've never encountered a CPU or GPU breaking; maybe that's just good luck, but either way I never really consider the longevity of those components, whether we're talking overclocks or just general cooling. Better temperatures does mean better boosting though, up to a certain point, so I tend to go for at least mid-range cooling, with mesh rather than glass

Regarding upgrade cycles, I do try to squeeze as much lifetime as I can out of my motherboard and cpu, and thus try to buy the best models that I can, usually straying away from the gpu-centered cookie-cutter gaming builds. I don't really have a rule of thumb for any other components - I upgrade when I have the mood and budget for it, really. Trying my best to remove the word "need" from my considerations, because let's face it, we're talking about a toy

3 hours ago, Yebi said:

I've never encountered a CPU or GPU breaking; maybe that's just good luck, but either way I never really consider the longevity of those components, whether we're talking overclocks or just general cooling. Better temperatures does mean better boosting though, up to a certain point, so I tend to go for at least mid-range cooling, with mesh rather than glass

Regarding upgrade cycles, I do try to squeeze as much lifetime as I can out of my motherboard and cpu, and thus try to buy the best models that I can, usually straying away from the gpu-centered cookie-cutter gaming builds. I don't really have a rule of thumb for any other components - I upgrade when I have the mood and budget for it, really. Trying my best to remove the word "need" from my considerations, because let's face it, we're talking about a toy

ya we all buy things that we might not need or upgrade even thow have no reason too.

over the years me an my dad building computers we had hhd,mb,gpus,psu's, ram, all go bad. my dad right now has an asus 780 gpu with bad ram. he had to down clock it to even play some games with it. gpu cooling it alot better then what it use to be so gpus might not die as much but back then your lucky to get 4 years out of it.

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

grammar nazi's plz don't post!

It's grammar nazis.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, a couple of degrees will usually not make much of a difference.  Yes, a CPU or GPU that runs cool will last longer than that same part would last if it were hotter, but it doesn't matter because you will almost always be upgrading long before it breaks anyway. 

Interesting topic.

what do you think about having higher temps for the sake  of looks. reason to save money, or just don't care.

Higher temps for sake of looks or saving more money is fine for most use cases. Microchips are built to withstand very high temps.

seems like there lots of people that pick bad air flow cases over looks or just didn't no it was a bad case. the people that complaint that your pc runs 3 degrees hotter should you care ? and why.

no, because..

how long do you want your pc to last? are we at a point were are pc are so powerful that it will be still a good pc10+ years form now and heck may even be a good gaming pc?

do you think about what you can sell your stuff for a few years form now or 10 years form now or don't care.

most pc's can last at least 10 years but will it be even be usable or even care about it in 10 years anyway

or do you build your pc to get the temps as low as possible so it will last longer.

forever ? nah, because building new ones is fun, right ? :)

Yes, we probably are at a point where computers last close to a decade and are still good "gaming" PCs, if with a few upgrades [GPU mostly, but also maybe adding more RAM, or upgrading storage to faster/better/newer solutions (if your MOBO allows it)]

I finally upgraded from an i5 2500k on a z77 board (2011) to an i7 7700k a couple years ago because I finally ran into a game where it was maxing out (100% all 4 cores) and bottle-necking a gtx1070 at 1080p resolution even with compromising on visual settings.

Still plays most AAA titles you throw at it reasonably well at 1080p, still have that as a secondary system and suspect I'll keep it for a few more years easy, its currently paired with a gtx960 and OC'd to 4.6 and cooled by a 240mm AIO, it's still a pretty good system for my needs.

Temps and airflow will become a concern when it eventually gets to the point where you need faster clock speeds to get decent frames and push more voltage into your chips because if you don't you'll run into throttling issues, BSODs, artifacting, frame drops and all sorts of other nasty tech-herpes etc lol 

In my upgrade cycle I started with the 2500k at stock clocks and a gtx 460 and 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and all mechanical spinning HDDs. Then I upgraded to a sata SSD for the OS (made a remarkable difference).

GPU upgrade cycle went from a 460 to a 660ti to a 960 and finally a 1070. Also added an extra 8 gigs of RAM much later. And then a 240 AIO when I took it to 4.6 and things got too hot for the 212 !

Also upgraded from XP to win 7 on the software end and always maintained a super clean and lean (no bloatware or any of that garbage)

Important to mention that I was always going for a high/ultra 60fps at 1080p computer for gaming.

The 2500k is still a pretty good chip, I'm keeping the old boy alive for the foreseeable future. It all really depends on:

a. Your use case, what you want to do with it and how far you're willing to compromise on graphical fidelity etc down the line.

and, more importantly perhaps...

b. What game and other application devs decide to do with all these mainstream multi-core, multi-threading capable chips that are out now.

My 7700k and 1070 are at stock clocks on the z270 for now, still at 1080p :P but its comforting to know that this combo could push a 1440p high/ultra display/output, and maybe even perform admirably at 4k (I'm fine with 60fps, who the hell needs AA etc at 4k anyway?)

For any new gaming oriented builders with a long term vision for their build, HEDT chips and custom water loops with many radiators etc is totally overkill and a waste of money, but do get an unlocked chip and a motherboard with a good power delivery system so that further down the line, should the need arise for you, you have the option to "turn it to eleven" and keep up with the latest games and processors of the future with a simple cooler upgrade.

Take a lawn-blower to your system once a month, just remember to hold the fans in place and not let them spin, get rid of any dust build up regularly and you're good for many many years with basically any computer build even with a stock cooler.

8 hours ago, strat guy said:

Interesting topic.

Higher temps for sake of looks or saving more money is fine for most use cases. Microchips are built to withstand very high temps.

no, because..

forever ? nah, because building new ones is fun, right ? :)

Yes, we probably are at a point where computers last close to a decade and are still good "gaming" PCs, if with a few upgrades [GPU mostly, but also maybe adding more RAM, or upgrading storage to faster/better/newer solutions (if your MOBO allows it)]

I finally upgraded from an i5 2500k on a z77 board (2011) to an i7 7700k a couple years ago because I finally ran into a game where it was maxing out (100% all 4 cores) and bottle-necking a gtx1070 at 1080p resolution even with compromising on visual settings.

Still plays most AAA titles you throw at it reasonably well at 1080p, still have that as a secondary system and suspect I'll keep it for a few more years easy, its currently paired with a gtx960 and OC'd to 4.6 and cooled by a 240mm AIO, it's still a pretty good system for my needs.

Temps and airflow will become a concern when it eventually gets to the point where you need faster clock speeds to get decent frames and push more voltage into your chips because if you don't you'll run into throttling issues, BSODs, artifacting, frame drops and all sorts of other nasty tech-herpes etc lol 

In my upgrade cycle I started with the 2500k at stock clocks and a gtx 460 and 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and all mechanical spinning HDDs. Then I upgraded to a sata SSD for the OS (made a remarkable difference).

GPU upgrade cycle went from a 460 to a 660ti to a 960 and finally a 1070. Also added an extra 8 gigs of RAM much later. And then a 240 AIO when I took it to 4.6 and things got too hot for the 212 !

Also upgraded from XP to win 7 on the software end and always maintained a super clean and lean (no bloatware or any of that garbage)

Important to mention that I was always going for a high/ultra 60fps at 1080p computer for gaming.

The 2500k is still a pretty good chip, I'm keeping the old boy alive for the foreseeable future. It all really depends on:

a. Your use case, what you want to do with it and how far you're willing to compromise on graphical fidelity etc down the line.

and, more importantly perhaps...

b. What game and other application devs decide to do with all these mainstream multi-core, multi-threading capable chips that are out now.

My 7700k and 1070 are at stock clocks on the z270 for now, still at 1080p :P but its comforting to know that this combo could push a 1440p high/ultra display/output, and maybe even perform admirably at 4k (I'm fine with 60fps, who the hell needs AA etc at 4k anyway?)

For any new gaming oriented builders with a long term vision for their build, HEDT chips and custom water loops with many radiators etc is totally overkill and a waste of money, but do get an unlocked chip and a motherboard with a good power delivery system so that further down the line, should the need arise for you, you have the option to "turn it to eleven" and keep up with the latest games and processors of the future with a simple cooler upgrade.

Take a lawn-blower to your system once a month, just remember to hold the fans in place and not let them spin, get rid of any dust build up regularly and you're good for many many years with basically any computer build even with a stock cooler.

ya for me i started with a 1366 and a i7920 and 6 gig of ram. 2x 150 gb wd velociraptor drives. i got get what gpu i had i no it was fanless if the rings any bells. and me and my dad got in to water cooling so i got his hammy downs gpus with water block's. then i upgraded to a i5 6600k,noctua nh-d15,  z170 mb and 16gb ram and got a gigabite g1 winforce 1080 and got a 480 gb ssd for $135 at the time. i later on upgraded the mb to an mark 1 z270 mb only for looks thow. all pics and info is posted in my build log. i normally build a budget pc say $900 ish but this time i when mad with power haha..... only thing  laughing is my wallet.  that ssd thow once you get one you never go back....

10 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It's grammar nazis.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, a couple of degrees will usually not make much of a difference.  Yes, a CPU or GPU that runs cool will last longer than that same part would last if it were hotter, but it doesn't matter because you will almost always be upgrading long before it breaks anyway. 

ok captain obvious....