The best exclusives

Lathlaer

So here is the thing - I have been entertaining the idea of buying PS5 when it comes out (since it's already late to buy PS4 for me) and with the promises of backwards compatibility, I'm trying to rationalize the choice to myself.

Namely, I'm looking for the best titles that have appeared on PS4 so far but have not appeared on PC (it can appear on Xbox though).

So far I have:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Spider-Man

God of War

The Last of Us

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Red Dead Redemption 2 (will launch on PC)

And of course I expect some sequels on PS5 in the future.

So here you go guys, what other titles would you suggest? Bear in mind that if a title appears on PC as well (like Cyberpunk), I will buy the PC version. I'm looking only for added value here.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

RDR2 is launching in November for PC.

PS exclusive would be Gran Turismo if you are into racing gaming. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

RDR2 is launching in November for PC.

Well then, thanks for the heads up ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1. Bloodborne -- Like Dark Souls, but requires more aggressive, offensive play. The DLC is a must too, as it has two of the best boss fights I have ever played. Best game I have played since the SNES era IMO.

2. Persona 5 -- If you like turn based RPG, this is IMO the best one since maybe Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne on the PS2 or Fallout 2 on DOS. Great art style and a killer soundtrack too.

3. God of War -- Dark Souls like combat, Skyrim like setting. Play this on one of the harder difficulties though, way too good a game to breeze through on casual difficulty.

4. Horizon Zero Dawn -- Like a third person Far Cry with much more interesting combat.

5. The Last of Us -- One of the best stories ever told in gaming and on the higher difficulties great stealth combat.

6. Uncharted series -- If you like the Tomb Raider reboots, these games are extremely similar.

7. Ratchet & Clank -- Pretty fun 3D platformer with all kinds of funny weapons.

I haven't played Spiderman so can't offer an opinion on it. Also, every single one of these games is cheap. The most you'd pay for any of these is $20 right now except for Bloodborne + DLC, which is on sale for $21 from PSN. Base game MSRP is $20 and the DLC is usually around $20, but the complete edition goes on sale all the time on PSN.

Also, not sure PS5 is going to be such a great buy at launch. I see no way that thing is going to come in at less than $500 with this proprietary SSD they're hyping up the system as having. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do like they did last generation with the PS3 and get arrogant and think people will pay $600 for their shit just because they dominated the generation before it. Plus launch titles almost always suck unless it's Nintendo.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see a $200 Death Stranding PS4 Slim bundle for Thanksgiving week like they did with Spiderman last year.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

6. Uncharted series -- If you like the Tomb Raider reboots, these games are extremely similar.

Holy shit, totally forgot that!

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Also, not sure PS5 is going to be such a great buy at launch

It's just that I want to enjoy as much mileage of it as possible. This is the reason I'm not buying a PS4 right now even though I could play those titles right away (it's basically nearing it's EOL).

So I don't really care about launch titles for PS5. If they offer backward compatibilty with PS4 titles, I will enjoy it from day 1 and then when something worthwhile comes later for PS5 specifically, I will get it as well.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:39 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

2. Persona 5 -- If you like turn based RPG, this is IMO the best one since maybe Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne on the PS2 or Fallout 2 on DOS. Great art style and a killer soundtrack too.

3. God of War -- Dark Souls like combat, Skyrim like setting. Play this on one of the harder difficulties though, way too good a game to breeze through on casual difficulty.

4. Horizon Zero Dawn -- Like a third person Far Cry with much more interesting combat.

Also, not sure PS5 is going to be such a great buy at launch. I see no way that thing is going to come in at less than $500 with this proprietary SSD they're hyping up the system as having. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do like they did last generation with the PS3 and get arrogant and think people will pay $600 for their shit just because they dominated the generation before it. Plus launch titles almost always suck unless it's Nintendo.

Man, I was super disappointed with Persona 5. I literally bought the PS4 to play P5, HZD, GOW, and Death Stranding. P% sure has a slick as hell style and interface, but the jazzy themes outside Beneath the Mask I never cared much for, unlike the J-pop of P4 and the weird rock-rap stuff in P3 that was always fun to sing along to. My biggest issue is that there was like... really thinking... one "fun" scene in the entire game. The characters pretty much all felt like knock-offs of older characters and everyone circle jerks their little group so much it really annoyed me. I ended up dropping it for like 6 months after I went on summer vacation to Hawaii and all they did was talk about circle jerking each other off in the group. People say it doesn't have the lows of P3 or the highs of P4, but I say it doesn't have the highs or lows of either, outside the amazing intro that lured me into thinking the rest of the game would be that way.

Horizon Zero Dawn has amazing sound design and visuals, with a relatively intriguing story though the characters are a bit boring. Gameplay I found pretty fun after I disabled all of the HUD and didn't cheese the combat mechanics. That game is incredibly easy to exploit. I ended up "challenging" myself by playing through pretty much all of it with just a bow and arrow (all the arrow types of course) and skipping the upgrades that slow down time and stuff. It's tough at times, but never BS.

God of War... something about the visuals just don't sit right with me, at least the environment. Characters generally look fine. There's a LOT of cut content though, so most of your questions go completely unanswered. Definitely a sequel coming. Never got super into the combat, which is pretty simplified now with the third person camera. Makes it hard to see what's happening now and use the face buttons at the same time. Still overall a good game.

The Naughty Dog titles are good. I only played Uncharted 3 and 4. Hated the end of Uncharted 3 for gameplay reasons, don't remember the story much. Uncharted 4 had weird gunplay but the Hollywood blockbuster action movie sequences and story were pretty good. TLOU has a good story between two characters, I've seen people criticize it because they focused on the world instead.

I'm going to plug Retro Replay and say that Nolan North (Who voices Nathan Drake) and Troy Baker (Who voices everyone else that isn't a woman, Nolan, or Yuri Lowenthal) recently played through the first Uncharted, for his first time ever. Even had some fun guest stars. Seems like next they'll be doing the Last of Us and/or Uncharted 2.

The PS3 came with a Blu-Ray player, which at the time were expensive as hell. That alone was like $2-300. It was also advertised as being capable of running Linux, which they later retconned. I think at some point some US government office had a whole shitload tied together for their central server supercomputer.

And then every single revision they made after the first was worse and cheaper in every way.

Fun fact, the 360 was a steaming pile of unreliable cow dung because MS thought Sony would release the PS3 in 2005, so they rushed and shipped it a year early only to find Sony would wait another year.

And then every single revision made it smaller, quieter, more reliable, and updated.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 10/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, Lathlaer said:

(since it's already late to buy PS4 for me)

Eh, I am seeing a lot of people trying to get rid of their PS4's now, ever since the PS5 - announcement. You could get one pretty damn cheap now and already start playing those games. Besides which, many of those same people are selling their games as well.

I'm just saying that yes, if you wait for a year, you can save some bucks, but a used PS4 isn't that much money anymore.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

13 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Man, I was super disappointed with Persona 5. I literally bought the PS4 to play P5, HZD, GOW, and Death Stranding. P% sure has a slick as hell style and interface, but the jazzy themes outside Beneath the Mask I never cared much for, unlike the J-pop of P4 and the weird rock-rap stuff in P3 that was always fun to sing along to. My biggest issue is that there was like... really thinking... one "fun" scene in the entire game. The characters pretty much all felt like knock-offs of older characters and everyone circle jerks their little group so much it really annoyed me. I ended up dropping it for like 6 months after I went on summer vacation to Hawaii and all they did was talk about circle jerking each other off in the group. People say it doesn't have the lows of P3 or the highs of P4, but I say it doesn't have the highs or lows of either, outside the amazing intro that lured me into thinking the rest of the game would be that way.

Not really sure I get the circle jerk comments about The Phantom Thieves, at least in comparison to the Investigation Group of P4. I loved so much of the music. Last Surprise is easily my favorite battle theme in the series, and Rivers in the Desert is probably my third favorite battle theme (behind Mass Destruction from Persona 3). Tokyo Daylight is great when you're walking around the city, and I love the themes in Futaba's dungeon as well as Niijima's dungeon. Though I also really like the catchy J-Pop in P4 even though it's impossible to understand Engrish half the time. Eg, "Your affection, your affection... to kill a puppy"...

Though nothing is as hard to understand as the Engrish in the soundtrack for the Persona 1 remake on PSP (especially the battle theme" A Lone Prayer").

Kamoshida's dungeon was pretty great too. I agree the characters aren't nearly as interesting nor as well developed in Persona 5 as in Persona 4 Golden, and the story isn't as good as P3 nor P4/P4G (I haven't played P2:IS nor P2:EP yet though). Though I did really enjoy Futaba's story. But I think the battle system is a lot better. Mainly since they added in the demon negotiation from the Shin Megami Tensei games, which is so much cooler than the shuffle time in P3/P4. Also the main dungeons are much more interesting since they're not randomized any more (except Mementos). I have to be the only one who liked Tatarus in P3, but I found the dungeons pretty lacking in P4/P4G (still love the games though).

The Hawaii vacation is indeed horrible in P5. But not any worse IMO than in P4G when you go on the trip to Gekkoukan and have to listen to a boring droning lecture from Edogawa sensei.

Another thing I liked about Persona 5 over P3/P4 is every social link gave you perks from advancement while P3 had no perks I remember and P4 only had perks with your links in the Investigation Group if I remember right. So P5 really gave you a reason to try to max everyone out. Also the fight against the twins in NG+ was a lot more interesting and difficult than fighting Margaret in P4G's NG+, though nowhere near as hard as Elizabeth in P3 FES's NG+.

P5's Valentines Day is pretty funny too if you're a player.

35 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Not really sure I get the circle jerk comments about The Phantom Thieves, at least in comparison to the Investigation Group of P4.

Because in P4 they didn't spend every single moment in the game jerking each other off about being the only ones who might know something and investigating. There were a lot of moments of them just hanging out and having fun. Every scene in P5 was "Oh yeah, I'm a phantom thief, I'm so fucking cool, unghh." Especially Mishima, which I get was part of his stupid character arc, but I hated it. The group never spent any time just as a group of friends, but then people argue "They aren't friends, they're confidants." Fuck off. Every scene with the group inevitably led to some bullshit about them circle jerking each other off about being in the group.

41 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The Hawaii vacation is indeed horrible in P5. But not any worse IMO than in P4G when you go on the trip to Gekkoukan and have to listen to a boring droning lecture from Edogawa sensei.

Another thing I liked about Persona 5 over P3/P4 is every social link gave you perks from advancement while P3 had no perks I remember and P4 only had perks with your links in the Investigation Group if I remember right. So P5 really gave you a reason to try to max everyone out. Also the fight against the twins in NG+ was a lot more interesting and difficult than fighting Margaret in P4G's NG+, though nowhere near as hard as Elizabeth in P3 FES's NG+.

P5's Valentines Day is pretty funny too if you're a player.

Unless they added something extra in P4G to the Gekkoukan section, it was in the base game. You get to see Chihiro doing well and I actually kind of like Edogawa. But after that they go the club, and proceed to have dumb high school friends fun, instead of circle jerking each other about being investigators. Oh, they also didn't very loudly and publicly talk about the investigation all the time. Even the Junes food court was pretty empty.

I agree the gameplay systems are a lot better in P5, as they should be, and the interrogation is much better than shuffling cards. My issue is with the characters and story, which is the driving reason to play an RPG.I haven't bothered to NG+ P5, but I saw a battle with the twins that was cheesed pretty easily and it wasn't very difficult.

I also did the "Player" route since I figured it would be quicker to do that and just watch a video with all the individuals later.

And yeah, the music is pretty Engrish, but it's catchy. I just wasn't personally huge on the jazz stuff in P5. though if you're interested, I'd recommend Mouse on the Keys and Jizue.

#Muricaparrotgang

I think that The Last of Us Part I and Part II are enough of a reason on their own. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 5:39 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

1. Bloodborne -- Like Dark Souls, but requires more aggressive, offensive play. The DLC is a must too, as it has two of the best boss fights I have ever played. Best game I have played since the SNES era IMO.

Bloodborne is easily worth the price of the PS4.  Its become my favorite game ever.  I think all of the Soul's games require a particular mindset to fully enjoy, but if you do Bloodborne is the best of them.  Great combat, amazing atmosphere, amazing level design, I really cant say enough good things about this game. 

Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty good too, super fun gameplay and a solid story.