Corsair AX760 vs Seasonic X750

Splinter

I had decided buy RM750 but now I can spend a little more and finally I am thinking about these 2 PSUs, although I have read that they could have coil whine problems (as I suppose all the PSUs) but between these which is better and more reliable with less % of have coil whine? thanks!

PS. About the coil whine, this depends of hardware right? by chance, anyone with the combo Asus GTX 770/780 and Asus maximus hero has had coil whine with these PSUs?

if i'm not mistaken the ax series is made by seasonic so buy the cheaper one of the two

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

if i'm not mistaken the ax series is made by seasonic so buy the cheaper one of the two

Really? wow, my friend is gonna be piiissed :D

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

Agreed, buy the cheaper one.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Really? wow, my friend is gonna be piiissed :D

why is he going to be pissed

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The Corsair is slightly more cheap than the Seasonic but not much difference (~10€). These brands makes returns without problems if I had coil whine right?

not anymore no, the original AX 750 was by seasonic

not anymore no, the original AX 750 was by seasonic

Nah. AX850/AX750 and the AX860/AX780 were/are made by Seasonic. The I series are flextronics.

I would go with the seasonic x750 definitely. I've heard tons of reports people having the same issue after every rma with the AX860/AX760 and even with the XP/XP2.

I have the Corsair AX750 which is essentially the Seasonic X750 and so far I have not had any coil whine with it at all. Quite a good PSU.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

For some reason people report that the corsair one burns out faster? I don't think it's true, but get whichever one you think looks better, I personally think the seasonic one looks better than corsair's red lable, but that's just because I don't like red.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

The poll is very equaled... :P then the Seasonic unit really has less % of coil whine than Corsair or depend on luck?

Coil whine more has to do with luck, as any PSU can fall victim to it. It depends on the person (not everybody can hear it), system (you can put it in one system where it has audible whining, and move it to another where it does not), and the unit itself (depending on how the copper wires are wound up and such, the whining may happen at different loads).

The AX760 and the newer Seasonic X 750w are both based on the KM3 design from Seasonic, where one of them achieve platinum efficiency, so I wouldn't say the likelihood of you experiencing coil whine increases depending on which unit you get. I would personally go with the one that is cheaper, which in this case, the AX760 is priced at $139.99 USD or $119.99 after MIR.

Coil whine more has to do with luck, as any PSU can fall victim to it. It depends on the person (not everybody can hear it), system (you can put it in one system where it has audible whining, and move it to another where it does not), and the unit itself (depending on how the copper wires are wound up and such, the whining may happen at different loads).

The AX760 and the newer Seasonic X 750w are both based on the KM3 design from Seasonic, where one of them achieve platinum efficiency, so I wouldn't say the likelihood of you experiencing coil whine increases depending on which unit you get. I would personally go with the one that is cheaper, which in this case, the AX760 is priced at $139.99 USD or $119.99 after MIR.

If you look at the x750 internals picture the coils seem to be much better secured. Btw does it only happen in EU when the system is powered off and the psu whines? If no I would go with X series imo.

If you look at the x750 internals picture the coils seem to be much better secured. Btw does it only happen in EU when the system is powered off and the psu whines? If no I would go with X series imo.

Like it is more tightly wounded or something? I'm pretty sure what you are seeing more has to deal with manufacturing variances between samples.

And no, it does not happen just in the EU. The 5vsb circuitry still follow the standy requirement of ErP 2013, in which complaints of Seasonic units and the AX760/860 regarding whining still often happen (I personally know a few people who has the AX760 and X 850 who had it here in the US).