New features for the Quest and other Oculus news

ShalokShalom

That being said, you already can play PC games on the Quest via something like https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR

This, with the GPU of your computer instead of the lower resolution rendering on the 835 and wireless instead of via cable.

That being said, the third market wlan solutions are reported to lag sometimes, can anybody confirm this for ALVR specifically?

Haven't managed to get ALVR to work.It hasn't been updated since May and it seems it won't play nice with current Steam VR versions. Display is OK, but no control.

RiftCat works "fine" with a good network, but you still have very disturbing occasional dropouts or frame corruptions that casue the display to just show garbage for a second or 2. Lag and reduced framerate are very noticeable. No chance with anything that requires fast movements or reactions - it's fine for Google Earth VR but in all cases it's a really subpar experience.

When I saw that long USB-C cable in the Quest box I was sure there would be a reason for it at some point, happy to know it is! 

Also awesome that they're adding AR support, was obvious that should be possible and worth it!

I already found my Quest to be an awesome purchase, but even more so now...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

When I saw that long USB-C cable in the Quest box I was sure there would be a reason for it at some point, happy to know it is! 

Just as a heads up, the usb cable that came with the Quest is USB 2.0 and Oculus Link requires a USB 3.0 cable.

Dang...

OK then, need to find a source for a loooong USB3 cable, which I guess isn't going to be easy...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Does anybody know about a solution to use some sort of small device that could Link make almost wireless?

So some form of thin client / streaming device, that then gives the image over via the USB 3.

Some Raspberry stuff?

• 1 month later...

You don't need any hardware, as mentioned above you can already stream over wifi using ALVR and RiftCat, but both are a pretty poor experience.

Oculus link beta is out now though and that works wonders. I got myself a 5m active USB3 A-A extension that I plug into a short USB3 A-C cable and it runs perfect. No visible compression, no percievable lag. Time to sell my Vive for realz.

F@H

GPD Win 2

I hope that at some point they actually announce a proper CV1 follow up. The S is at best a side grade and inside-out-only tracking is pretty much universally worse than having base stations from an actual tracking fidelity perspective. 

If they put out an Index competitor with the original Rift's software and build quality but with both cameras and inside-out tracking, they'd have an incredibly compelling product that could replace both the CV1 and the S. As it is, though, it seems like they are exclusively focusing on the low end markets, leaving only Valve and their questionable build quality to own the high end.