Apple Watch Series 5 Display: Inner Workings that made Always on Display a possibility + iPhone 11 Pro Display

RedRound2
5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

"Commercialized brands". Oh sorry, I didn't know you're a pleb that can buy Patek Philippe for 1.500.000€. Coz only those are still actually hand made. Even all those 200.000€ watches are all machined and then just assembled by hand. Patek is one of rare watchmakers where parts are actually individually forged for every watch. Of that specific kind that will cost 7 digits. The rest they machine just like anyone else. So yeah, you can cut that pretentious BS...

Apple is not even pretending it's some heritage based craft like old watchmakers. They are well aware it's just an electronic device, a gadget. I still don't see anything wrong with mentioning of machining processes and materials used. And bracelet swapping mechanism is so elegant I haven't seen anything like it with any other watch, not even with strap spring bars that have a quick release lever. G-Shocks are also all plastic, but they are super popular in sports and military. Because they are utilitarian. Just like Apple Watch. It has only been recently where they were trying "premium" materials like stainless steel and sapphire and cranking those prices up. I could justify almost 500€ for Apple Watch 5 with very little thinking. I couldn't for G-Shock GMW-B5000D-1 and I wanted it quite badly. And I have a resin version of it, atomic version with negative LCD display and resin bracelet. It's a great watch in proper terms of the word. I'd rather pay that much for another Steinhart, Certina or Seiko SAR series if I had to...

Your still missing the point. Apple as per usual decided to go form or over function so that the watch is immediately recognizable since those wearing this think their sole purpose in life is fitting in to social trends. Not far removed from just how stupid their wireless ear buds look. But even if you remove the rhetoric surrounding the design choice, it still comes down to if I SUBJECTIVELY find the watch appealing and I don't. It looks terrible to me. All the convincing in the world won't change that especially when there's nothing the watch does that's not already available on a smart phone or alternate device and witchout having to do so on a tiny screen.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:27 AM, RedRound2 said:

its an oled screen ... i know for a fact that other smartwatch makers also have oled screens unless apple injects their watch displays with some magic i dont know about. the screen is made by LG so apparently its LG magic not apple magic :P

On 9/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, BuckGup said:

No I was referring to AirPower. It was for sure a product and was even in some literature. They were trying to have wireless charging on a pad that didn’t need individual coils 

The never had a working AirPower pad though. At the announcement they had dumby shells that didn't work. They were trying to make a pad that had 25+ individual coils without any cooling... whoops. Apple's obsession with silent operation and minimal cooling is their biggest flaw IMO. Had they made a thicker pad with a couple small quiet fans and they would have been able to accomplish it.

9 hours ago, Crowbar said:

Your still missing the point. Apple as per usual decided to go form or over function so that the watch is immediately recognizable since those wearing this think their sole purpose in life is fitting in to social trends. Not far removed from just how stupid their wireless ear buds look. But even if you remove the rhetoric surrounding the design choice, it still comes down to if I SUBJECTIVELY find the watch appealing and I don't. It looks terrible to me. All the convincing in the world won't change that especially when there's nothing the watch does that's not already available on a smart phone or alternate device and witchout having to do so on a tiny screen.

Is it? I bought Apple Watch primarily for body "telemetry", not to fit into social circles. I don't have any, so I don't give a shit about them. AirPods may look stupid, but they are one of rare few earphones that don't use retarded silicone crap that goes into ear canal. I hate that shit. And watch being rectangular, it may stand out a bit from that alone, but it also has way more screen estate that round watches do not. So it's actually function over form in this case. And you immediately recognize it as Apple Watch. They exist to make money and brand recognition matters. Just like it does for iconic BMW's car front grills or Coca Cola's font and colors. Apple is no different.

19 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

its an oled screen ... i know for a fact that other smartwatch makers also have oled screens unless apple injects their watch displays with some magic i dont know about. the screen is made by LG so apparently its LG magic not apple magic :P

Did you not even read the original post? I've clearly mentioned what Apple did different, compared to others. And Apple doesn't own manufacturing plants, so they outsource manufacturing based on their designs. With your analogy of LG magic, that would mean foxconn is responsible for iPhones and TSMC is responsible for A13's industry leading performance. Dude, think a little before you comment. It's annoying pointing out painfully obvious things like this.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Crowbar said:

Are you done whining yet?

Says the sworn apple who thinks Apple as a corporation is evil because he has stories made up in his head. It would make sense why Apple is as big as it is today and why their customers love their products.

Just because you have no self control to become enraged over internet memes and are clearly an apple tool doesn’t make humanity “stupid” or “ignorant”... You can make excuses all day long and cherry pick examples of components apple has used but that doesn’t change the over priced trash they make as a final product or their poor track record of anti consumer practices. Either way, I’m not here to argue about how terrible apple inc is. That’s been done to death and it’s obvious that trend whores will go to great lengths to defend apple while pretending all the atrocities they’ve commited don’t exist.

Overpriced trash, when literally the competition is pretty much on the same level as Apple's pricing. Apple desktops are quite competitive with DIY builds, their laptops are on par with new surface, iPhones 11 Pro costs as much as A tier manufacturers flagships, and they undercut the competition by having an amazing phone at 700$ that pretty much blows anything out of the competition in that segment. iPads are available at all price points and Apple watch is the only wearable that's worth buying the market, especially when Series 3 coul've been had for $200, compared to fitbit (is that even a comparison)

What I am interested in is how you decided to move the goal posts. Your initial post clearly hyped “always on display” and you tried to portray a narrative that apple did it first and was some sort of gift to the industry. Then when you were exposed, changed the argument to “always on display + xyz”. Just admit you were wrong. We can all see that you worship the ground steve wazniak walks on but that doesn’t hide what you tried to do.

You idiot, read the title of the ost once again. Inner workings, and my post goes on to explain what they did different that enabled them to have AoD without sacrificing too much battery life, when nobody else has managed to. Do you seriously have some issues to not understand or realize that?

Regarding biometric unlocks, What purpose does posting an image of my phone serve? I choose not to use any of this crap. Why does the length of time the industry has tried to push this validate it in some way? It’s far less secure then a pin and requires storing further physically identifying data. The enabling of further laziness, doesn’t justify this and never will.

Because you don't want to show that you own a phone with a fingerprint reader adn you use it? Is that why, to show that you know you're not guilty of your own hypocrisy? If you're going to say biometric is useless, because it was mainstreamed by Apple, you really are a pathetic troll, who doesn't have anything better to do that try to piss on a multi billion dollar company, with absolutely no effect, other than losing your own dignity.

The reason I mentioned the second red camera video is because you some how thought your first example was relevant. Yet again, you tried to prove a point while cherry picking a select item, so I provided a counter that shows the same mentioned company’s involvement in scam tactics. If that’s a problem for you then stop making pointless side arguments in attempt to strengthen your initial failed one.

And you somehow think that X and Y may have done one thing similarly, and hence Y does everything ditto X does. I feel like i'm talking to a 12 year old now.

At the end of the day we both know you’ll be back to post here again. Your unstable state and mental fixation regarding apple is far too unhealthy for you not to.

My mental fixation on trying to make sense into every single ignorant person I meet or talk to is what is unhealthy for me. You need to get a life, seriously, if your lifelong passion is to hate on everys single thing Apple does, and ironically start using competitor's products that clearly derived from Apple's products

15 hours ago, Crowbar said:

When apple literally gives you a dozen reasons to hate them and conclude why they are a terrible company each year then sure, the only logical reaction would be to become an "apple hater".

Google gave me just one reason to dump their stupid ass entire ecosystem. Blatant data hoarding. I can live with browsers that can't be set as default or lack of basically any kind of file manager or "only" 720p LCD display or "only" 3GB RAM. But I'm doing just fine with iPhone XR. In fact apart from few annoyances, I'm loving it. And I used to say I'd never buy anything from Apple just few years ago when I was using like 5th or 6th Android phone. I couldn't stand another day of using idiotic Android no matter how many awesome and cool features it has. Oh and it also has the shittiest software support in existence. You can consider yourself lucky if you get full 2 years of major updates for it. Unless you go even closer to Google and buy their Android One powered phones (or the actual Pixel). Thanks, but I'll pass.

As for the watch itself (and phones too), no one forces you to buy one. Or upgrade one. There are tons of people still running Apple Watch 3 and 4. I wasn't even interested in it because it didn't have AoD up till now with Series 5 that has AoD. iPhone 11 has some nice additions, but I feel my iPhone XR is just fine so I'm still using it. I even offset the need for a night mode shooting with NeuralCam app that snaps clean and bright images in really garbage lighting conditions without any flash using A12's Neural Engine to do the processing. Wide lens would be cool, but if I lived without it just fine till now, I'll do it still. The rest, I didn't feel I need it. So, yeah, if you look at spec sheet you see bunch of reasons. If you actually use one for extended periods of time, you see it's actually nowhere near as bad as people say it is and is in fact a "just works" device and/or ecosystem. If I said the same for Android I'd be pushing my claims because things there often "just don't work" as they should.

18 hours ago, Crowbar said:

When apple literally gives you a dozen reasons to hate them and conclude why they are a terrible company each year then sure, the only logical reaction would be to become an "apple hater".

This statement explains so much about your arguments so far.  You see your view of the world as not just right, but inevitable -- if people disagree, it's only because they haven't been 'enlightened' yet.

I'm sorry, but hating Apple is not the "only logical reaction."  The company has significant problems, sure, but it also makes at least some good products and avoids key pitfalls that plague other ecosystems.  For that matter, it's a bit rich to claim Apple is a horrible company and then fling yourself into the arms of Google, or Samsung, or...

Here's my logic: I choose Apple gear because it's (generally) well-designed, well-supported, easy to use, respectful of privacy and integrated tightly in a way that makes my life easier.  But, unlike you, I don't believe my logic is the only acceptable rationale in the universe.  If you're willing to make tradeoffs in the name of customization and device variety, go for it.

seemingly, many have strayed off the topic of the thread to only make it a flamewar of hate.. got nothing to contribute to the topic don't post ideology. 

As someone who actually has an Apple Watch Series 5, I'll help get it back on track -- sorry about that.

So far, I love it.  The always-on display does use more battery, but with ~40 percent battery left at the end of the day I'm not worried about running out of power before I take the watch off my wrist.  And I'm finding Apple's particular implementation very practical.  I can time sets at the gym more effectively, and I usually have the answer I need from a complication (is it going to rain?  How far are my activity goals?) without flicking my arm.  Probably the best display on any smartwatch right now, if just because it preserves color and much of the data from your watch face.

31 minutes ago, Commodus said:

As someone who actually has an Apple Watch Series 5, I'll help get it back on track -- sorry about that.

So far, I love it.  The always-on display does use more battery, but with ~40 percent battery left at the end of the day I'm not worried about running out of power before I take the watch off my wrist.  And I'm finding Apple's particular implementation very practical.  I can time sets at the gym more effectively, and I usually have the answer I need from a complication (is it going to rain?  How far are my activity goals?) without flicking my arm.  Probably the best display on any smartwatch right now, if just because it preserves color and much of the data from your watch face.

Do you use raise wrist to wake screen? It consumed quite some battery for me, but with AoD and no wrist sense, it lasts a lot longer and I still see all the info on it.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Do you use raise wrist to wake screen? It consumed quite some battery for me, but with AoD and no wrist sense, it lasts a lot longer and I still see all the info on it.

I do -- it's just that I find myself doing too many things that benefit from fast access (like workouts and controlling my lights) to add the extra delay of a tap.

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Google gave me just one reason to dump their stupid ass entire ecosystem. Blatant data hoarding. I can live with browsers that can't be set as default or lack of basically any kind of file manager or "only" 720p LCD display or "only" 3GB RAM. But I'm doing just fine with iPhone XR. In fact apart from few annoyances, I'm loving it. And I used to say I'd never buy anything from Apple just few years ago when I was using like 5th or 6th Android phone. I couldn't stand another day of using idiotic Android no matter how many awesome and cool features it has. Oh and it also has the shittiest software support in existence. You can consider yourself lucky if you get full 2 years of major updates for it. Unless you go even closer to Google and buy their Android One powered phones (or the actual Pixel). Thanks, but I'll pass.

As for the watch itself (and phones too), no one forces you to buy one. Or upgrade one. There are tons of people still running Apple Watch 3 and 4. I wasn't even interested in it because it didn't have AoD up till now with Series 5 that has AoD. iPhone 11 has some nice additions, but I feel my iPhone XR is just fine so I'm still using it. I even offset the need for a night mode shooting with NeuralCam app that snaps clean and bright images in really garbage lighting conditions without any flash using A12's Neural Engine to do the processing. Wide lens would be cool, but if I lived without it just fine till now, I'll do it still. The rest, I didn't feel I need it. So, yeah, if you look at spec sheet you see bunch of reasons. If you actually use one for extended periods of time, you see it's actually nowhere near as bad as people say it is and is in fact a "just works" device and/or ecosystem. If I said the same for Android I'd be pushing my claims because things there often "just don't work" as they should.

What does apple being terrible have to do with Android? At least on an Android based phone you have the option to switch to whatever version of Android you choose, many with security updates that have been going strong for several years. With IOS you get rapidly degrading performance every time you update (forced obsolescence) and then you are stuck with what you have when support ends.

Obviously the watch is optional to buy just like anything in life. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to have an optinion and post it. If you don't like what I have to say then ignore my posts or provide a counter. It's your choice just as it is mine to criticize.

8 hours ago, Commodus said:

This statement explains so much about your arguments so far.  You see your view of the world as not just right, but inevitable -- if people disagree, it's only because they haven't been 'enlightened' yet.

I'm sorry, but hating Apple is not the "only logical reaction."  The company has significant problems, sure, but it also makes at least some good products and avoids key pitfalls that plague other ecosystems.  For that matter, it's a bit rich to claim Apple is a horrible company and then fling yourself into the arms of Google, or Samsung, or...

Here's my logic: I choose Apple gear because it's (generally) well-designed, well-supported, easy to use, respectful of privacy and integrated tightly in a way that makes my life easier.  But, unlike you, I don't believe my logic is the only acceptable rationale in the universe.  If you're willing to make tradeoffs in the name of customization and device variety, go for it.

No.

If apple were to change over night I would give them credit and reconsider but as it stands today is a laughable dumpster fire. For example, the third party repair program FINALLY after several years of legal battles is starting to unfold. It's far from perfect as is but at least they finally had some common sense to realize it was a lost endeavor that would cost them hundreds of millions to continue fighting.

The ecosystem is plagued by design in that you are stuck with and within it. Privacy? This is a guise. Apple collects just as much data as google or amazon does through shit like siri which they have also been caught sharing with third parties.

Google is nearly as bad as apple but at least on an android device you have the option to install whatever OS you please. There are several that are completely stripped down but as an apple fan boy I wouldn't expect you to be able to look past your nose and realize that.

2 hours ago, Crowbar said:

With IOS you get rapidly degrading performance every time you update (forced obsolescence) and then you are stuck with what you have when support ends

Thats because the battery's performance is dying, It cant charge to as much so to keep the same battery life. You can turn it off in settings but it may shut down randomly at lower percentages

1 hour ago, Crowbar said:

The ecosystem is plagued by design in that you are stuck with and within it. Privacy? This is a guise. Apple collects just as much data as google or amazon does through shit like siri which they have also been caught sharing with third parties

Can we all see proof please. please

✨FNIGE✨

36 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Thats because the battery's performance is dying, It cant charge to as much so to keep the same battery life. You can turn it off in settings but it may shut down randomly at lower percentages

Can we all see proof please. please

This is what apple told you. Doesn't mean it's at all true. If this was the case then why don't other non apple phones have the same problem?

https://www.eteknix.com/apple-sharing-siri-voice-data-with-third-parties

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/cars/a33654/apple-is-sharing-your-siri-data-with-third-parties

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/30/apple-siri-voice-assistants-privacy

https://thehackernews.com/2015/03/apple-siri-voice-data-sharing.html

2 hours ago, Crowbar said:

With IOS you get rapidly degrading performance every time you update (forced obsolescence) and then you are stuck with what you have when support ends.

Despite users reporting that older iPhones being faster is fairly normal provided the battery is still capable of delivering enough power to not power throttle the SoC.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Despite users reporting that older iPhones being faster is fairly normal provided the battery is still capable of delivering enough power to not power throttle the SoC.

You can choose whatever you want to believe.

Fact remains that this isn't a problem with other non apple phones and apple made changes to IOS after several class action lawsuits occurred over the scandal.

22 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

apple made changes to IOS after several class action lawsuits occurred over the scandal.

Apple faced a class action for not disclosing it. The alternative is for phones to not power throttle, and shut down every time the SoC needs a short power spike.

The only thing they did wrong is not disclose it, but a phone becoming somewhat slower for SOME users is no more planned obsolescence than random shutoffs are.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Apple faced a class action for not disclosing it. The alternative is for phones to not power throttle, and shut down every time the SoC needs a short power spike.

The only thing they did wrong is not disclose it, but a phone becoming somewhat slower for SOME users is no more planned obsolescence than random shutoffs are.

According to apple...

Why do you think they didn't want to willingly disclose why they were artificially hindering perofrmance via software from the start?

Also, are you going to address why this isn't a problem on other phones but apple is some how special?

1 minute ago, Crowbar said:

According to apple..

According to forums comprised of actual users.

2 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Why do you think they didn't want to willingly disclose why they were artificially hinder perofrmance via software from the start?

The general consumers are idiots that don't understand things like power budgets.

3 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Also, are you going to address why this isn't a problem on other phones but apple is some how special?

Being absolutely technical, it is.

Being realistic, many Android users either replace their phones before they have to worry about random shutoffs or power throttling (and I assure you, EVERY smartphone chooses one or the other), running low power SoCs, and don't do anything demanding with them. A lower percentage of them will have problems simply due to many cheap (in every way possible) offerings that don't exist with Apple.

And big companies like Apple slipping up are far more newsworthy than your typical Android OEM.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.