Get computer out of enterprise mode

So my mom works with a guy who just bough a computer through his school. The pc SHOULD not get in the hands of the school itself, but it arrived in enterprise mode. The guy forgot his password and wants to reset the computer. i said: no problem, but that was before i found out it was in enterprise mode. Is there any easy way for him to access the computer, possibly reset the PC to factory settings without formating the drive and reinstalling windows. The school says they cant help and we dont know who is the administrator of the PC.

i dont know, the tech support on the school is trash and cant do shit. I though i could factory reset the computer with a windows 10 usb stick, but i cant acess bios without administrator rights

You probably mean that the computer is part of a domain? Is the hard drive encrypted? If not then there is a chance. You can remove the computer from the domain with the local administrator account.

1. Boot Windows 10 install USB and open the command prompt using F10 when the install is starting

2. Run the following commands in prompt

net users administrator active:yes
net users administrator *

3. Type a new password

4. Restart the computer

5. Login to the login screen on the following way first line is for username field second should be password

.\administrator

*Password*

6. Go to "this PC" and remove PC from domain check picture

Spoiler

image.png.34eaa171c8625509042d05057c62433b.png

Okay - seems like we might be talking about different things here.

There's really no such thing as "Enterprise mode". So what you're talking about could be one (or both) of two things:

1. BIOS Administrator password - this is fairly likely. The School likely enabled a BIOS password so that students and staff couldn't change important BIOS settings (or wipe the computer), etc.

If you post the exact make and model of the computer, we can look up to see if there is a way to erase or bypass the password. If not, you may have to have him bring the PC back to the school and have them clear the password for him (they likely won't just give him the password, since it's likely still in use on computers they still own).

2. Windows Domain Joined - this means that the PC might be joined to a Windows Active Directory Domain. If this is the case, Windows itself will be configured different than a normal install, possibly with various restrictions enabled. Bypassing this is as easy as formatting the HDD, and reinstalling Windows from scratch. However, this may not be possible if the BIOS is locked.

So, please post the computer make and model number, and we'll proceed from there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

You probably mean that the computer is part of a domain? Is the hard drive encrypted? If not then there is a chance.

You can remove the computer from the domain with the local administrator account.

1. Boot Windows 10 install USB and open the command prompt using F10 when the install is starting

2. Run the following commands in prompt

net users administrator active:yes
net users administrator *

3. Type a new password

4. Restart the computer

5. Login to the login screen on the following way first line is for username field second should be password

.\administrator

*Password*

6. Go to "this PC" and remove PC from domain check picture

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.34eaa171c8625509042d05057c62433b.png

If he can get that far, there's really no point in even doing any of that. Simply reinstall Windows. That ensures that the computer doesn't retain any software that may have been installed, nor any Group Policies that could linger even after unjoining the PC.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If he can get that far, there's really no point in even doing any of that. Simply reinstall Windows. That ensures that the computer doesn't retain any software that may have been installed, nor any Group Policies that could linger even after unjoining the PC.

True with disk encryption or BIOS password there is no way to get around it that easy.

Jarno, that was what i planned on doing, but i cant access the bios because the computer is locked by the school or something..

2 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

True with disk encryption or BIOS password there is no way to get around it that easy.

Disk encryption is difficult to bypass - if they used proper encryption, practically speaking it will not be possible.

In this case, though - replacing the HDD is the simple solution.

If there's a BIOS password, it depends on the BIOS - some can be wiped using a reset jumper pin or by taking out the CMOS battery.

Just now, Isak Larsen said:

Jarno, that was what i planned on doing, but i cant access the bios because the computer is locked by the school or something..

We'll need to know the make and model of PC to continue.

DalekPhalm, its a HP probook 430 G6. There is no important data on the computer and the owner just needs windows 10 factory reset so that he can set it up and use it. 

4 minutes ago, Isak Larsen said:

Then pull out the BIOS battery if you can and give it some time to drain all the power. Holding power button might help to drain all power faster. In case of laptop it might be more challenging. But i bet you already tried that?

Since it is a brand new pc that is not owned by me, i would prefer if i didnt have to open it to replace the drive or force launch of bios

2 minutes ago, Isak Larsen said:

DalekPhalm, its a HP probook 430 G6. There is no important data on the computer and the owner just needs windows 10 factory reset so that he can set it up and use it. 

Try these guides - this one is for the G3 version (may not work):

https://tickett.wordpress.com/2018/08/08/unlock-remove-hp-probook-430-g3-bios-password/

Here's another thread on unlocking an HP BIOS:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Bios-reset-password/td-p/4522746

Seems like you need to contact HP with the Serial number and UUID, and they will generate a file that when placed on a FAT32 USB drive, will unlock the password.

Removing the battery probably won't work, since most modern business laptops store the BIOS password on a non-volatile BIOS chip.

3 minutes ago, Isak Larsen said:

Since it is a brand new pc that is not owned by me, i would prefer if i didnt have to open it to replace the drive or force launch of bios

If you're not willing to do that kind of thing, then the owner needs to go to the school that he bought it from and have them remove the password for him. If they are unwilling, then you're back to trying these things.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Removing the battery probably won't work, since most modern business laptops store the BIOS password on a non-volatile BIOS chip.

Yea, a business laptop + a company that did a good job locking it down and you get challenge on your hands but its worth a try.

Yeah, i will try, but the owner says that he got it right from the store (just got a kind of a discount for buying it through the school). He says noone has set it in this enterprise or whatever mode. th school claims that they hasnt done it and that they cant help out.

i managed to get myself into the BIOS and boot from the USB stick.  Now i got everything under control, thanks for helping out guys!