Partitioning 2TB SSD

Hello,

I'm newer to gaming PC and upgrading my 500gb HDD to a 2TB SSD to help improve performance of my ASUS ROG (can't remember which ROG it is). I am going to partition my new SSD. This laptop is for gaming, work, and other entertainment. How would people advise me to partition it? I am thinking one 250GB or 500GB for my main game and the rest for all my games and work stuff. Or 3 partitions one 250GB for my main game, one 750GB for work, and one 1TB for my other games. 

Looking to buy a gaming pc in the next year as well. 

It's rather pointless to make multiple partitions, a single partition with folders for whatever you need is the most efficient.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Personally I would just create one big partition, that everything goes on. Just separate files with folders. 

The bad thing with partitions is you end up segmenting your storage space. For example you will have 20GB free on one partiton 50GB free on another and 100GB free on another. But your file is 110GB. You don't have space anywhere. Even throw you technically you have 170GB free. 

There's no point to partitions on a SSD

But if you do decide on partitions.. make a 4-500 GB one for your operating system and one or two partitions for the rest of the available space.

May be tempted to go with 200-250 GB but it can be too small.. lots of applications default to installing on C drive and over time it can add up.

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There's no point to partitions on a SSD

But if you do decide on partitions.. make a 4-500 GB one for your operating system and one or two partitions for the rest of the available space.

May be tempted to go with 200-250 GB but it can be too small.. lots of applications default to installing on C drive and over time it can add up.

I do it for segmenting my data. Just for that (OS vs general data).

But it depends on your backup solution. If it does seperate folders, then you can just do it that way.17

SSDs basically eliminated the need for multiple partitions for consumers. No performance benefit which was the main reason for it. Segmenting data into folders is more than enough. Plus, no performance loss when moving data around from folder to folder, it’s instant. While if you had partitions, transferring from partition to partitions results in having to physically move all the data.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

7 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I do it for segmenting my data. Just for that (OS vs general data).

But it depends on your backup solution. If it does seperate folders, then you can just do it that way.17

The only partitioning I recommend is to separate the OS and programs from data. All data should be on only one partition or an entire drive and folders used to "segment" your data (Catsrules did a good job of explaining why). This makes backing up data easier.

System files (OS & programs) need to be backed up by imaging (cloning can be used but it's extremely inefficient and sapce wasting). Images can be used to restore the System to the state it was in when the image was created.

Data is best backed up using a folder/file syncing program. This will result in what is essentially a clone of what you want backed up only far faster and far more efficient than cloning. Folder/file syncing can be used to backup an entire drive, an entire partition, or, if you do not want or need to backup all of your data, your choice of individual folders or groups of folders.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!