Chosing a quiet + good airflow case that do not a tacky design

noyo87

Hello guys! First post here even if I'm reading the forum for years :o

I'm planning to make a new build and I'm struggling deciding which case I will take. My current build is using a Define R4 and I'm pretty satisfied with it and was wondering if I should pick an R6 or something else.

So I'm looking for a mid-size tower that would allow good airflow but more importantly to be quiet. the computer is occasionally used, I do programming, surfing, gaming.

I like the tower to have a classy look, like the Fractal Define R. I don't like the design of the Meshify. I don't care about windowed side-panel as I don't plan for any RGB or light. I like simple boxes ;D

As cooling, I will use a Noctua NH-D15 so the case needs to fit it. It should fit at least one 2.5" SSD, Two would be great. I'm fine with ATX

Here are some case that I looked:

- Fractal Design Define R6

- NZXT H500 (I like the minimalist look, but I'm afraid of both thermal and noise of it)

- All be quiet! products (as soon as I can have it without the ugly orange accent)

- Corsair Crystal 680X (I find its design barely acceptable assuming I disable all light on the fans)

- Phanteks Eclipse P600S (pretty ugly to me)

Any suggestion ? Feedback ? Idea ?

Thank you :)

14 hours ago, noyo87 said:

Any suggestion ? Feedback ? Idea ?

Thank you :)

What is your case budget and location (country)?

The Define R6 is a good case, and if you liked the Define R4 You'll probably love the R6. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

My budget would be 250 $ CA. But if there is something a little bit more expensive that worth it, it might be fine too.

I'm located in Canada, Montreal. I'll probably order online.

Silverstone Kublai KL07 maybe?

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=680&area=en

Basically looks like a black monolith, no fancy decorations, just pure usability. What I love about it the most is plain looks without stupid windows or RGB, one of rare cases with silenced intake AND exhaust. Something that's incredibly hard to find as they usually only silence intake, but not exhaust on top. And despite silencing measures, it has very good airflow. I've never had case that's so silent and still can push through a ton of air. And except a bit clumsy PSU mounting, everything else is superb in terms of usability and mounting. I've stuffed it with BeQuiet SilentWings3. 3x140mm in the front, 2x140mm on top and 1x140mm in the back. It has 3x 2.5" SSD slots on the back of the motherboard plate.

And best of all it's just 100€. So, around $80-100 for you guys over the Atlantic.

Thank you! Didn't know this model. I like it's design.

So how would you compare it with the Define R6 in term of airflow and silence?

Hard to say. I personally didn't pick R6 because despite their claims, their top is exposed where Kublai has a foam padded cover. And despite having a cover, it has like 2cm clearence between fan and foam which should give unrestrictd airflow with huge angled grills to further direct noise away from user.

Also, am I seeing this right that R6 doesn't have front intake dust filter?

From my expirience with the H500, temps are fairly decent in the stock config, 69C on my 2600 at 100% load with stock cooler, and 85C at 100% on my GTX 1080 with a blower cooler. The stock fans are a bit loud but not as loud as my 1080 in games, and with a headset on its inaudible of course. Can reccomend the case, it was incredibly nice to build in and cable managment is top notch.

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

Unless you are going for water, then I recommend getting the Define C over the R6. Much smaller footprint and great airflow. Also much lighter than the R6. I got both. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Also, am I seeing this right that R6 doesn't have front intake dust filter?

It does

Define-R6-BKO_24-1-810x810.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@TVwazhere

Where? That filter below is for the bottom. For front intake all I see is that grill thingie. Or is a filter behind it?

Just now, RejZoR said:

@TVwazhere

Where? That filter below is for the bottom. For front intake all I see is that grill thingie. Or is a filter behind it?

image.png.d8b7f9498c8ce101fc64e6c70ec445b8.png

Here's another angle

Image result for define r6 filter

At the end I think I will get the R6 or Define C as I feel it's safe :)

I guess I will just open the front-door of the R6 when gaming to get even more airflow.

Thank you for the help!