Is asus strix the quietest brand?

BogdanTNT

I want to buy a rx 580 because somehow in my country it’s cheaper than bread and I really want it to be quiet af. I hate noise. I tough that since the strix branding has that  heavy coolers it means it is also quiet, right? But how much quieter because I think that also if the fans are nit that high quality they might make some noise. Idk. Help. Please

3 fans means less noise...

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

52 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Not necessarily. Larger fans mean less noise, most of the time.

@BogdanTNT If you want quiet, try and find GPUs that don't turn the fans on until there's a load. They'll be your best bet during normal operation. However, when gaming, chances are they'll all be loud. Solution? Buy a headset for when you game instead of speakers. It's the cheapest solution.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

55 minutes ago, Constantin said:

more moving parts = more failure rate.

some cards are known to have better fan service

49 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you want quiet, try and find GPUs that don't turn the fans on until there's a load

80% of today's GPU start the fans after around 50c

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Quiet for what? If you are playing with not limited fps and pushing hard all of them will be loud ;D If you are just browsing, doing some light work and barely using the GPU most of them will be quite or even with fans off (like mentioned above).

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

80% of today's GPU start the fans after around 50c

Right, but that still leaves 20% that don't ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 hours ago, BogdanTNT said:

I want to buy a rx 580 because somehow in my country it’s cheaper than bread and I really want it to be quiet af. I hate noise. I tough that since the strix branding has that  heavy coolers it means it is also quiet, right? But how much quieter because I think that also if the fans are nit that high quality they might make some noise. Idk. Help. Please

If the fans are not ramped up, they are pretty quite. If they reach around 75% its speed limit and beyond, sometimes you can hear some chops here and there. I'm assuming the card you want to get has 3 fans, just like mine (although a different model altogether).

13 hours ago, BogdanTNT said:

Doesn't matter what brand 3 fans = quiet system. Asus rog just looks cool that's why the price is so much 

On 9/17/2019 at 2:38 AM, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

more moving parts = more failure rate.

some cards are known to have better fan service

Yeah sure but all gpus use almost the same fans they are all small and break at some point and it's like 20 bucks to replace them. You can't say spending extra 200 dollars for rgb and how you say quality fans makes absolutely 0 Sense. You can buy a cheaper card and just stick as you say good fans in

I use a gigabyte rx580 and sure you hear the fan but most of the times the fan runs under 30 % of the speed according to msi afterburner. if i oc soemtimes to 50 but thats rare.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:37 AM, BogdanTNT said:

3 fan cards are usually quieter than less fan cards, however theres more to the story than just the fan count.

3 fans also usually means longer card, longer card means longer heatsink, more area to dissipate heat so even with fans off, it will help it taking longer to reach fan on temps (so when not gaming causing 100% load but diing other styff with lower loads or just short spikes in load, fans remain off).

Then on to rog just looks cool; true, and part of price premium is there, however strix cards usually ( not all) have premium vrms with absolute overkill vrms. That translates to larger surface area of components, connecting to more heatsink surface, well spread, contributing again to longer/more consistent fan off state. Then theres the heatsink, how many fins, heatpipes and thickness (1.5, 2 or 2.5 slots, makes a biiiiig difference not only how often fans kick in but as well how far they need to ramp up). Rog/strix is on the higher end of that (usually, but not all).

But just like assuming brand x mobos or brand y psus are "good" or "bad" (or in this case: quiet), assume nothing, read reviews etc. I know first hand that 2060 strix is excellent but have read tnat vega strixes where not the best vrm due to coil whine i think (which is entirely unrelated to amd vs nvidia mind you, vegas are just as good as 16xx or 2060/70).

Good news is, most recent gpus except blowers are usually "quiet enough" unless your obsessed with "silent pc" motto like me :)

Youll enjoy rx580, ex ellent bang for buck!