Which i5 should I get?

I am planning to give my gaming PC a much needed update in a few months by replacing my motherboard with a gigabyte z390 ud and my 1600mhz  16gb of corsair vengeance (quad channel)  with 16gb of 3000mhz corsair lpx (dual channel). However, I am not 100% sure on what Intel core I should go for (my old processor was a i5 4670k) that costs around about £200/$250. Let me know if anyone has any ideas ?.

None. The Ryzen 5 3600 annihilates intel i5s in almost every scenario. It's cooler, more power efficient and doesn't suffer from the security issues in intel CPUs such as spectre, meltdown, foreshadow and etc

Buy a new 7600k. Best deal on the market currently. Trust me.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Which GPU are you using at the moment and do you plan on upgrading that too?

I am using a Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1070 G1 Gaming and I don't have any plans on upgrading (although SLI is quite tempting...)

5 minutes ago, Johnatron 101 said:

I am using a Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 1070 G1 Gaming and I don't have any plans on upgrading (although SLI is quite tempting...)

SLI is dead. Support for it is minimal and most games have issues with microatuttering with it enabled.

1 minute ago, Johnatron 101 said:

Alright.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but the Ryzen 5 3600 is a really good choice ;) 

I wouldn't upgrade to an i5 or even i7 in your case.

SLI is something I wouldn't recommend anymore. SLI support is officially dead for over 2 years now and mGPU support with DX12 isn't exactly doing well.

26 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

That's incredibly untrue, the 7600k would be an absolute redundant chip to purchase with the current mid range Ryzen processors competing with intel's high end.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

15 hours ago, Fakmykak said:

The 7600k would be the worst i5 on the market, if It wasn't discontinued. The 100 dollars Ryzen 5 1600 beats it

18 hours ago, 5x5 said:

doesn't suffer from the security issues in intel CPUs such as spectre, meltdown, foreshadow and etc

Well that's a common misconception. AMD doesn't suffer from meltdown. However, it does from some specter vulnerabilities. (not all) If I'm not mistaken you need physical access for most if not all. So it doesn't really concern the majority of users.

8 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

Well that's a common misconception. AMD doesn't suffer from meltdown. However, it does from some specter vulnerabilities. (not all) If I'm not mistaken you need physical access for most if not all. So it doesn't really concern the majority of users.

It actually got fixed with the later BIOS and OS updates since only part of Spectre could be applied to Ryzen via physical access. Unlike Intel, performance or features on Ryzen weren't lost

Just throwing this out there... the Ryzen 7 2700 and 2700x are selling for $188 USD and $211 USD on certain online retailers at the moment, probably wont last long. Crazy deal

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

46 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

Just throwing this out there... the Ryzen 7 2700 and 2700x are selling for $188 USD and $211 USD on certain online retailers at the moment, probably wont last long. Crazy deal

I know at least the 2700 goes for that now