Game/Hosting Server Help Needed

Hello everyone! I need help building a personal home server. Mainly for hosting games, some storage, websites, etc. I am currently living in India (dying) I moved here a month and 1/2 ago. The parts are a bit more expensive so I am sticking to in.pcpartpicker.com :D. Here is what I am looking for on a 200 dollar budget (14200 rupee) It is okay if I reach 15k rupees.:

i3 or r3 (Which ever is cheaper with better perf.)
16gb ram (ddr3 perferred)
500gb hdd or 250gb. I will upgrade to SSD some other time.

Update: Sep. 15 2019
Parts have been decided and I was allowed to go over budget. The parts are in the following list for PCP

I have some old available parts in here which is why it says purchased. 
Give me some feedback. I am using the stock cooler btw.

Edited by PradyEatPC -Prady Playz-
Update

31 minutes ago, PradyEatPC -Prady Playz- said:

Hello everyone! I need help building a personal home server. Mainly for hosting games, some storage, websites, etc. I am currently living in India (dying) I moved here a month and 1/2 ago. The parts are a bit more expensive so I am sticking to in.pcpartpicker.com :D. Here is what I am looking for on a 200 dollar budget (14200 rupee) It is okay if I reach 15k rupees.:

i3 or r3 (Which ever is cheaper with better perf.)
16gb ram (ddr3 perferred)
500gb hdd or 250gb. I will upgrade to SSD some other time.

Update, idc about mobo cheapest one is fine and just a psu from rep. brand.

First of all - check if your internet connection is good for server. You must have external, fixed IP and good router that can handle multiple connections.

For such a crazy low budget, going used is your only bet since all new CPUs use DDR4 and the cheapest 16GB kit I can find is around 1/3 of your budget alone.

The cheapest AMD build I can make breaks your budget with just 3 components:

The cheapest Intel build blows your budget out of the water with the CPU alone with needed to step down to a dual core Pentium to meet the AMD build price.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First of all - check if your internet connection is good for server. You must have external, fixed IP and good router that can handle multiple connections.

Not at all, Dynamic DNS exists exactly for this reason.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Not at all, Dynamic DNS exists exactly for this reason.

If you can have breaks in internet connection then it's ok. Every IP change needs some time to report and present connections will be disconnected at that time.

26 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you can have breaks in internet connection then it's ok. Every IP change needs some time to report and present connections will be disconnected at that time.

2 years I've had a server running in some capacity, used to be an old PC and I hosted a Source engine server (for Day of Defeat Source), not once did anyone ever get disconnected and the server never reported as being restarted or crashing. I literally saw uptime of millions of seconds (aka months).

Fun fact: your external IP address changing happens at your ISPs end, not yours. Your router only needs to apply for a new leases when it's old one expires and the change is both seamless and instantaneous.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

2 years I've had a server running in some capacity, used to be an old PC and I hosted a Source engine server (for Day of Defeat Source), not once did anyone ever get disconnected and the server never reported as being restarted or crashing. I literally saw uptime of millions of seconds (aka months).

Fun fact: your external IP address changing happens at your ISPs end, not yours. Your router only needs to apply for a new leases when it's old one expires and the change is both seamless and instantaneous.

Changing DNS is never instant, it can't be. For web server sure - there are no problems, but for game or multimedia server is different.

Your computer asks for dns local dns provider (or Google dns or any else) then connect to address returned by that dns servers. If address changes, dns must be updated and it's never instant.

Routers with ddns support or software needs some time to report dns change, even if only few seconds. For playing games or for viewing movies it's too much.

13 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Changing DNS is never instant, it can't be. For web server sure - there are no problems, but for game or multimedia server is different.

Your computer asks for dns local dns provider (or Google dns or any else) then connect to address returned by that dns servers. If address changes, dns must be updated and it's never instant.

Routers with ddns support or software needs some time to report dns change, even if only few seconds. For playing games or for viewing movies it's too much.

Who said anything about changing DNS?

I'm telling you its 100% possible to run a game server at home with a dynamic IP running through a DDNS and never have any disconnects. I literally did it for years.

I would recommend going with AM4, simply because you'll be able to upgrade in the future up to 16 cores (if the motherboard can also handle it)

You can start with something as low as 200ge (dual core with integrated graphics) and as you have money and processor prices go down, you can upgrade all the way to Ryzen 3rd generation or whatever will show up.

I'm not gonna suggest it though, because the difference between 200ge and Ryzen 1200 is just around 1000 INR, so you get 2 more cores but no integrated graphics for a few dollars more - you can get a video card from eBay for 5-10$ so there's no point going for 200ge unless you get it from eBay for around 40$.

someone above suggested A320 boards - yes, some are cheap and they'll work with Ryzen 1200, but the chances of you being able to upgrade to Ryzen 3rd gen in the future would be iffy at best... best to spend a few dollars more to go with a B450 board.

I suggest the one below, because it has some heatsinks on the VRM so it will work even with 8 or 12 core processors (if you won't overclock them) and if your budget is tight, you can start with 2x4 GB sticks and add a couple more sticks when you have more money.

You can replace the 2 x 1392 INR 4 GB sticks below, with 2 x 8 GB sticks for ~ 2400 INR extra (2 x 2600 - 2 x 1392 = 2416 INR).. see the suggestion above.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

-snip-

I was showing that what they are asking for on that budget, brand new, is unrealistic, even if you go super cheap. I totally agree with the B450 motherboard reco though.

They also need storage AND a power supply which I didn't even bother including because I was already over their budget.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I would also recommend looking on eBay at motherboard + CPU combos... sometimes there's good combos there:

Just a few days ago, I recommended this for another person here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-X58-Pro-E-MS-7522-i7-920-2-67GHz-6GB-RAM-w-IO-Shield-Tested-Working/283588821036?

It's 55$ for i7-920 with 6 GB of memory and a good X58 motherboard - he made a 40$ offer and guy accepted it.

The seller doesn't ship to India but maybe make an offer (contact the guy and ask) for something like 80-90$ incl. shipping, which would give him around 30-40$ for shipping through regular post or whatever - 80$ for that combo would a good deal. Not much room upwards to upgrade when it comes to cpu but at that price...

Maybe suggest shipping it to you without CPU cooler, which would make the package lighter and cheaper (and it would fit in a regular motherboard case) - the cooler is around 5-10$ on eBay or in local Indian stores...

The i7 920 has a score of 4915 poins or CPUBenchmark, which is comparable to an Athlon 200ge, or an I5-4170 , or an FX-4320 ... you get 6 GB of memory out of the box and the board has 6 memory slots so you can add more ram if you want and it's DDR3 so it's cheaper.

The board even has an IDE connector, so if you find some old 80/160/250/320 GB hard drive somewhere for peanuts you could use it.

some other combos :

50$ + 25$ shipping:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/asus-p8h61-m-le-csm-With-I3-3220-3-3ghz-2gb-Ddr3/362749376825

asus p8h61-m le/csm With I3 3220 3.3ghz 2gb Ddr3

The board supports lots of sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors which can be cheap :

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8H61M_LECSM_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

75$ + 62.4$ shipping to India : ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 w/ AMD FX AM3+ 4300 CPU + Heatsink 8GB RAM No I/O Micro ATX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-M5A78L-M-USB3-w-AMD-FX-AM3-4300-CPU-Heatsink-8GB-RAM-No-I-O-Micro-ATX/352732283681?epid=1143256914&hash=item52207b8321:g:-kYAAOSwxs9dOfvL

The seller has more than 10 boards, so it may be worth making an offer to get at least cheaper shipping ... maybe make offer for 100-110$ incl. shipping ... maybe contact him and ask to ship without heatsink, if the reduced weight makes the shipping cheaper.

It's a quad core cpu but about as fast as the i7 920 above... but you could upgrade to fx-8xxx series cpus if you want to (not that they'll be much faster)

You do get a decent cpu, good mb AND 8 GB of memory so if you don't already have DDR3 memory it would be a good deal... also has chipset with integrated graphics  (if you make a good offer and seller accepts it)

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Who said anything about changing DNS?

I'm telling you its 100% possible to run a game server at home with a dynamic IP running through a DDNS and never have any disconnects. I literally did it for years.

People connecting to your computer using domain. For resolving domain to ip - dns is involved. I don't know how often your ip changes, that may be once a day in the middle of the night so you did not noticed any disconnects. Ddns is dynamic dns provided by external server. It's how it works. I was working on dynamic dns for controlling remote computers and while ip was changed, I was disconnected. Of course it depends on software - some may wait and try few times and you don't even notice that something was wrong for small amount of time. Having static IP is much easier and better solution anyway.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

People connecting to your computer using domain. For resolving domain to ip - dns is involved. I don't know how often your ip changes, that may be once a day in the middle of the night so you did not noticed any disconnects. Ddns is dynamic dns provided by external server. It's how it works. I was working on dynamic dns for controlling remote computers and while ip was changed, I was disconnected. Of course it depends on software - some may wait and try few times and you don't even notice that something was wrong for small amount of time. Having static IP is much easier and better solution anyway.

Jesus dude, servers keep logs, every time my IP changed the server would have disconnected, crashed, restarted and logged the entire thing plus I've already told you, I saw uptime in the millions of seconds or basically months.

I'm not saying I think your wrong, I'm telling you that you are wrong. I've literally done it and was doing it right up to 3 months ago when I swapped out my PC server for a Ras Pi 4.

There is actually another possibility, maybe we're both correct. It's entirety possible that game servers can handle a few seconds of disconnect without caring?

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You do realize Dynamic IP and Dynamic DNS is two completely seperate things? If i connect to a server useding something.dynamic.dns, this will be a permanent route. An dynamic DNS provider have software on the clinent computer that can near instantly change the IP the hostname is pointed towards. In which case the worst that would happen is a 0.1 sec lag in game. Which is not a big deal.

14 hours ago, homeap5 said:

I have 1000mbps upload and 700mbps download.

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

some other combos :

50$ + 25$ shipping:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/asus-p8h61-m-le-csm-With-I3-3220-3-3ghz-2gb-Ddr3/362749376825

asus p8h61-m le/csm With I3 3220 3.3ghz 2gb Ddr3

The board supports lots of sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors which can be cheap :

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8H61M_LECSM_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/

75$ + 62.4$ shipping to India : ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 w/ AMD FX AM3+ 4300 CPU + Heatsink 8GB RAM No I/O Micro ATX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-M5A78L-M-USB3-w-AMD-FX-AM3-4300-CPU-Heatsink-8GB-RAM-No-I-O-Micro-ATX/352732283681?epid=1143256914&hash=item52207b8321:g:-kYAAOSwxs9dOfvL

The seller has more than 10 boards, so it may be worth making an offer to get at least cheaper shipping ... maybe make offer for 100-110$ incl. shipping ... maybe contact him and ask to ship without heatsink, if the reduced weight makes the shipping cheaper.

It's a quad core cpu but about as fast as the i7 920 above... but you could upgrade to fx-8xxx series cpus if you want to (not that they'll be much faster)

You do get a decent cpu, good mb AND 8 GB of memory so if you don't already have DDR3 memory it would be a good deal... also has chipset with integrated graphics  (if you make a good offer and seller accepts it)

I am trying to kind of stick to eBay. Depending on the item, I would definetly go with a cheap i7 and use ddr3 ram because I could easily upgrade to 32gigs of ram, but then upgrade the cpu would be annoying, so I have to stick to the AM4 platform like you had reccomended. I am probably going with b450 or x270, I might change if my dad increases his budget or I invest my own money.

Bit of an update:
I have one test build PC and my old gaming pc.
My usable parts from those builds are:
2 Sticks of 4gb ram each
rx 460 GPU

1tb HDD (Need to wipe it first after uploading everything I need to web)
500gb HDD

I could also buy a cheap used server and upgrade that.

Edited by PradyEatPC -Prady Playz-
I forgot to add something

4 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You do realize Dynamic IP and Dynamic DNS is two completely seperate things? If i connect to a server useding something.dynamic.dns, this will be a permanent route. An dynamic DNS provider have software on the clinent computer that can near instantly change the IP the hostname is pointed towards. In which case the worst that would happen is a 0.1 sec lag in game. Which is not a big deal.

You realize that user computer doesn't care how fast ddns switch because when they connect to any address, their computers ask for ip using dns, not ddns service?

And yes, game can handle that very well sometimes, but that's not the point.

And I never say that dynamic IP and DDNS are the same.

11 hours ago, mariushm said:

I would recommend going with AM4, simply because you'll be able to upgrade in the future up to 16 cores (if the motherboard can also handle it)

You can start with something as low as 200ge (dual core with integrated graphics) and as you have money and processor prices go down, you can upgrade all the way to Ryzen 3rd generation or whatever will show up.

I'm not gonna suggest it though, because the difference between 200ge and Ryzen 1200 is just around 1000 INR, so you get 2 more cores but no integrated graphics for a few dollars more - you can get a video card from eBay for 5-10$ so there's no point going for 200ge unless you get it from eBay for around 40$.

someone above suggested A320 boards - yes, some are cheap and they'll work with Ryzen 1200, but the chances of you being able to upgrade to Ryzen 3rd gen in the future would be iffy at best... best to spend a few dollars more to go with a B450 board.

I suggest the one below, because it has some heatsinks on the VRM so it will work even with 8 or 12 core processors (if you won't overclock them) and if your budget is tight, you can start with 2x4 GB sticks and add a couple more sticks when you have more money.

You can replace the 2 x 1392 INR 4 GB sticks below, with 2 x 8 GB sticks for ~ 2400 INR extra (2 x 2600 - 2 x 1392 = 2416 INR).. see the suggestion above.

You said somebody said something about using A320M. It was deciding on that, but I can buy a new motherboard in the future while upgrading because I do not want to stick with a b450m so I will be using A320M , maybe when the next socket releases for AMD I will upgrade. 

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

You realize that user computer doesn't care how fast ddns switch because when they connect to any address, their computers ask for ip using dns, not ddns service?

And yes, game can handle that very well sometimes, but that's not the point.

And I never say that dynamic IP and DDNS are the same.

Then i believe you lost the point in you're previous argument where this would be a problem.

1 hour ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Then i believe you lost the point in you're previous argument where this would be a problem.

Because it can be - but I don't say about gameserver, but server in general. Games are not the only reason people made servers.

Here is pretty good detailed answer: https://superuser.com/a/453951

2 hours ago, PradyEatPC -Prady Playz- said:

You said somebody said something about using A320M. It was deciding on that, but I can buy a new motherboard in the future while upgrading because I do not want to stick with a b450m so I will be using A320M , maybe when the next socket releases for AMD I will upgrade. 

AMD has promised they're gonna release socket AM4 processors at least until 2020. After that they may change the socket. However, some motherboards are not guaranteed to support ALL AM4 processors.

A320 based motherboards have everything reduced : single memory stick per channel so maximum 2 memory sticks, fewer SATA ports, overclocking is not possible, memory is limited to something like 2666 Mhz, no heatsinks on the VRM which means you'll barely be able to use 8 core processors without the VRM overheating and throttling the CPU frequencies.

Few  A320 motherboards support the Ryzen 3xxx series and AMD doesn't require manufacturers to add support. Often, the BIOS chips are just too tiny to even add compatibility with the newly released CPUs: for example, when Ryzen 2xxx series was released, they had to remove support for pre-Zen socket AM4 processors from BIOS. Basically overall it's a really poor value.

The B450 chipset based motherboards cost 5-10$ more than A320 motherboards and support even the 3rd generation Ryzen processors and they'd probably even support a 4th generation if they're gonna make one.

You get 4 memory slots, you get overclocking, most have heatsinks on VRM and a VRM that can at least handle 8 and 12 core processors, and support Ryzen 3rd generation (on some motherboards were the bios was too small, they change from graphical bios to text only or grayscale only menus to reduce bios size to make it fit)

Basically, I'm saying a B450 board has much better value and it's stupid to save 10$ or so in Indian money with the idea that you'll pay 50$ or so for another motherboard in the future. AMD is not like Intel where they make a new chipset and/or socket every time they go a new generation, with 5-10% performance increase, you can go with a Ryzen 1200 and you can upgrade to a cpu that has around 4-5x the performance while using same motherboard

For a server, b450 chipset is good enough.

x470 boards only add ability to split the x16 slot in 2 x8 slots to do SLI or Crossfire (both are pretty much dead now) and the chipset has a few more pci-e lanes (so you'd see a third pci-e x16 slot that's pci-e 4 internally or a few more pci-e x1 slots)  and maybe a couple more SATA ports or second m.2 connector. Not worth the extra money for you.

x570 boards only add pci-e 4.0 support and pci-e 4.0 m.2 connectors, which you're not gonna use in a server and you're simply too poor to afford pci-e 4.0 m.2 ssds (and their 4-5GB/s transfer speeds won't help you anyway for your use, would be waste of money) or buy pci-e 4.0 video cards 2-3 years from now

x550 (or whatever it's gonna be called) will have about the same feature set as B450 boards so there's gonna be minimal motivation to go with such boards.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

AMD has promised they're gonna release socket AM4 processors at least until 2020. After that they may change the socket. However, some motherboards are not guaranteed to support ALL AM4 processors.

A320 based motherboards have everything reduced : single memory stick per channel so maximum 2 memory sticks, fewer SATA ports, overclocking is not possible, memory is limited to something like 2666 Mhz, no heatsinks on the VRM which means you'll barely be able to use 8 core processors without the VRM overheating and throttling the CPU frequencies.

Few  A320 motherboards support the Ryzen 3xxx series and AMD doesn't require manufacturers to add support. Often, the BIOS chips are just too tiny to even add compatibility with the newly released CPUs: for example, when Ryzen 2xxx series was released, they had to remove support for pre-Zen socket AM4 processors from BIOS. Basically overall it's a really poor value.

The B450 chipset based motherboards cost 5-10$ more than A320 motherboards and support even the 3rd generation Ryzen processors and they'd probably even support a 4th generation if they're gonna make one.

You get 4 memory slots, you get overclocking, most have heatsinks on VRM and a VRM that can at least handle 8 and 12 core processors, and support Ryzen 3rd generation (on some motherboards were the bios was too small, they change from graphical bios to text only or grayscale only menus to reduce bios size to make it fit)

Basically, I'm saying a B450 board has much better value and it's stupid to save 10$ or so in Indian money with the idea that you'll pay 50$ or so for another motherboard in the future. AMD is not like Intel where they make a new chipset and/or socket every time they go a new generation, with 5-10% performance increase, you can go with a Ryzen 1200 and you can upgrade to a cpu that has around 4-5x the performance while using same motherboard

For a server, b450 chipset is good enough.

x470 boards only add ability to split the x16 slot in 2 x8 slots to do SLI or Crossfire (both are pretty much dead now) and the chipset has a few more pci-e lanes (so you'd see a third pci-e x16 slot that's pci-e 4 internally or a few more pci-e x1 slots)  and maybe a couple more SATA ports or second m.2 connector. Not worth the extra money for you.

x570 boards only add pci-e 4.0 support and pci-e 4.0 m.2 connectors, which you're not gonna use in a server and you're simply too poor to afford pci-e 4.0 m.2 ssds (and their 4-5GB/s transfer speeds won't help you anyway for your use, would be waste of money) or buy pci-e 4.0 video cards 2-3 years from now

x550 (or whatever it's gonna be called) will have about the same feature set as B450 boards so there's gonna be minimal motivation to go with such boards.

Good point, I am currently making a document. I will include both and try and convince my dad to buy a b450. Thanks for responding, and I forgot they weren't gonna change the socket till 2020, I thought it was 2019 (Facepalm)