First post! also how much should i use on a gaming/editing pc.

Exansis

So, first post here. stumbled upon linus's "how to build a gaming pc" on youtube and that brought me to the forums.

Currently i'm just studying on my crappy laptop but i have plans to build myself a gaming pc this summer when i get back into work and start making some money.

Now what i would require my pc to do is simply just play WoW in ultra with a minimum of 60fps. also play games like BF4, gta(when it comes out) with a good fps and settings etc. I am also going film school in 2015(most likely) so i will require to be able to edit and render stuff. and might aswell be able to fraps while i play. Possibly stream in the future(?maybe i dunno).

I have never built a pc. never, but i'm up to the challenge. so i'm wondering what exactly do i need. if anyone could make a list of everything i need then that would be great. Then later i can look into brands, compatiblity and stuff. Got months to learn this before i actually start buying the parts so =).

One thing i am very curious about is. what brands make the most solid cases. i can imagine that what i put in the case won't be cheap, and im going to move around alot having to bring the pc with me when i move. so the cases have to be really fucking solid. also planning on working 1 year in canada so i can ski and live a little. planning on bringing along the pc aswell. Maybe i bring the pc from Norway to Canada, not sure. i might just go cave man and leave it at my moms or something.

All in all i want everything to be solid. So, what will it cost. I don't need to know the exact price.

Also can i get some link to guides and stuff that might come in handy. or else i'll just use the power of google.

Allright, cheers.

Exansis-

Let me take you to the mountain!!

Pretty much sums it up.

I'm just a norwegien skier/snowboarder addicted to pow.

anywhere from ~800-1500$ is the sweet spot IMO.

~1300-1500ish gets you an ssd, a good PSU+good case, i5 4670k/4770k, 8gb of ram+ a gtx 770/780 depending on how much you spend on the other parts.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I don't think anyone can build a PC that can do a minimum of 60FPS in wow as it's really poorly optimized.

I'd get a 4670K, A Dark Rock Pro 2, NHD14 or a Hyper212 Evo if you are more of a budget

UD3H (or other motherboard of same price range)

GTX 780 of your choice

650w power supply (seasonic, corsair, silverstone, etc...)

8GB of ram (add more if you deem necessary)

boot SSD such as 840 Evo or Plextor

1/2TB seagate barracuda drive

case of your choice

that should be set, I'm leaving this open for others/you to decide what you'd personally prefer

Going to film school in the fall of 2015? I would build a smaller 1000 dollar build now, and you can spend more if and when you decide you need more horsepower for renders and stuff

Welcome to the forums Exansis. Great to hear a little about your interests in gaming and video editing. I'm sure you'll find alot of people around here that can share their knowledge with you in that regard.

Regarding your PC, perhaps give us afew details such as price range etc.

Good Brands:

CORSAIR ( cases, memory, power supply, fans including watercooling all-in-ones)

EVGA ( graphics card, motherboard, power supply )

ASUS ( graphics cards, motherboard )

KINGSTON ( memory )

BITFENIX ( case, fans )

SAMSUNG ( hard drives SSD/HDD )

There are many brands, alot of people will give suggestions to assist you. Good luck and welcome.

Cartdog.

Evga mobo's are crappy imo. Also i think you forgot Fractal....

Good Brands:

KINGSTON ( memory )

BITFENIX ( case, fans )

There are many brands, alot of people will give suggestions to assist you. Good luck and welcome.

There are many many other brands, and personally I would recommend specific models rather than particular brands. And there are obviously dozens more brands for cases, graphics cards, power supplies etc... and PS... Samsung does not make HDDs anymore. 

As for the OP, since he is in Norway, I imagine builds are quite a lot more expensive due to sales taxes. How much are you looking to spend? 1500 Euro? 2000? 1000?

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

welcome to the forums and the LTT community 

if your trying to stay in a budget i would go with the FX 83xx/9590 series of processors. there good for gaming/streaming and not bad for rendering. (pistol uses them for rendering and streaming.

here is a vid on pistol from tek syndicates rig that uses a FX 

if your trying to stay in a budget i would go with the FX 83xx/9590 series of processors. there good for gaming/streaming and not bad for rendering. (pistol uses them for rendering and streaming.

Dude don't recommend sutch a stupid product as the fx 95xx series... 

Stop trolling. Atleast I had some meaningful input. Grow up.

Obviously there are other brands, hence why I said that in my post. He asked for brands, someone else with knowledge of what he needs it for can post models. Stop being a troll and stop picking, I haven't seen you offer any suggestions.

Holy crap. Calm the hell down... 

As for cases for the OP, there is no point in just listing all the decent case brands out there if he doesn't know what his budget or size is... 

8320/50 yes, 9590 no.

Do you need an os/monitor etc?

I'm guessing yes.

It's always best to research stuff, but I'd hold off until closer to when you buy. It changes pretty quickly, but learning what different monitor types are and such is always useful and will aid you when it comes time to picking the little things.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Welcome to the forums Exansis. Great to hear a little about your interests in gaming and video editing. I'm sure you'll find alot of people around here that can share their knowledge with you in that regard.

Good Brands:

KINGSTON ( memory )

BITFENIX ( case, fans )

Cartdog.

you forgot gigabyte which has the lowest rma rates in the computer market, im a bit pissed with asus, they have screwed up big time with some of heatsinks in this generation of gpus. Also g skill seems to have lower prices then corsair for ram but they are just as reliable and i like to say i have ripjaws in my pc.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

One thing i am very curious about is. what brands make the most solid cases. i can imagine that what i put in the case won't be cheap, and im going to move around alot having to bring the pc with me when i move. so the cases have to be really fucking solid. also planning on working 1 year in canada so i can ski and live a little. planning on bringing along the pc aswell. Maybe i bring the pc from Norway to Canada, not sure. i might just go cave man and leave it at my moms or something.

All in all i want everything to be solid. So, what will it cost. I don't need to know the exact price.

Also can i get some link to guides and stuff that might come in handy. or else i'll just use the power of google.

I just looked at the website "http://www.komplett.no/" and I looked at the case prices. The best deals in your case (because you are in Norway) seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 (Swedish case maker haha, sorry! :P ), and the Node 304, Arc Midi R2, Define R4 as well as the Arc Mini R2. Otherwise the Obsidian 250D by Corsair is also a pretty good deal, along with the H440 by NZXT.

Each of these cases have their advantages and disadvantages... by size, the 250D and Node 304 are by far the smallest and they are about as small as you can go with a powerful small computer (they use a small motherboard size called ITX) 

The Arc Mini R2 is a micro ATX case, meaning that it can fit microatx motherboards. It's bigger than the node 304 and 250D, but is still smaller than the rest of the cases such as the H440 and Arc Midi R2. 

Then the H440 and Define R4 are both mid sized ATX cases (probably the size you think of when you see a desktop computer), and they are both cases made to be silent when being used. Both are great cases that have an elegant look to them.

I would advise you first choose the case you want by size, and then start filtering from then on... 

@Exansis, I would suggest you think about building a gaming machine for now. In a year or two once you have a better idea of what you will need for school and beyond you can work on a new build, using the experience you gained from your initial one.

A gaming system needs, in order of importance: gpu (video card), cpu, motherboard, memory, psu (power supply), storage (SSD, SSHD, HDD), case, cpu cooler, optical drive (optional), and operating system. Peripherals: monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset (optional), speakers (optional), and mouse pad (optional).

Have fun with the research. You'll get lots of opinions and answers in this forum.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

So, first post here. stumbled upon linus's "how to build a gaming pc" on youtube and that brought me to the forums.

Currently i'm just studying on my crappy laptop but i have plans to build myself a gaming pc this summer when i get back into work and start making some money.

Now what i would require my pc to do is simply just play WoW in ultra with a minimum of 60fps. also play games like BF4, gta(when it comes out) with a good fps and settings etc. I am also going film school in 2015(most likely) so i will require to be able to edit and render stuff. and might aswell be able to fraps while i play. Possibly stream in the future(?maybe i dunno).

I have never built a pc. never, but i'm up to the challenge. so i'm wondering what exactly do i need. if anyone could make a list of everything i need then that would be great. Then later i can look into brands, compatiblity and stuff. Got months to learn this before i actually start buying the parts so =).

Allright, cheers.

Exansis-

WoW is a very CPU driven game and suprisingly you need a really high end PC, an intel prosessor, maybe an i5 will do the trick if not the best i7 you can afford.

i would go for an Nvidia graphics card since they keep cool and are very reliable. maybe a 780ti.

and a minimum of 8GB ram.

if you want fast loading screens and model loading you should buy an ssd to put WoW on.

IMO spending that much on a PC is just idiotic,

i am still running my amd FX8350 and gtx670power edition (overclocked) and run it smooth at med-high setting.

honestly you have to be a game designer to notice the difference in quality between high and ultra.

WoD is coming out shortly and will update some character models and i assume tweak some performance options (make better graphics) as it is standard for blizzard to do every expansion, so you will ofc need more horsepower.

but please dont waste your money, just go for an i5 intel prosessor and maybe a gtx 770, and 8-16gb ram. that is actually pretty high end!

since you will be doing rendering and stuff i would go for an i7 prosessor since it has multithreading wich will result if fast rendering.

for a good quality case i think on behalf of everybody we can reccomend the "Fractal Design R4" its not to big, it's solid built and is overall awesome.

hope i could help!

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

As for the OP, since he is in Norway, I imagine builds are quite a lot more expensive due to sales taxes. How much are you looking to spend? 1500 Euro? 2000? 1000?

I'm tinking around 1250 first then upgrades next year if i need something more for rendering.

Pretty much sums it up.

just got home again after a week skiing so, just thought i could actually start getting back to you guys. 

been thinking a bit, and alot of you guys have said the same that i should focus on just getting together a gaming pc.Then later upgrade for a more powerful pc for rendering and editing.

i think my budget will be around 1000 to a 1250 at first.

Pretty much sums it up.

I just looked at the website "http://www.komplett.no/" and I looked at the case prices. The best deals in your case (because you are in Norway) seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 (Swedish case maker haha, sorry! :P ), and the Node 304, Arc Midi R2, Define R4 as well as the Arc Mini R2. Otherwise the Obsidian 250D by Corsair is also a pretty good deal, along with the H440 by NZXT.

Each of these cases have their advantages and disadvantages... by size, the 250D and Node 304 are by far the smallest and they are about as small as you can go with a powerful small computer (they use a small motherboard size called ITX) 

The Arc Mini R2 is a micro ATX case, meaning that it can fit microatx motherboards. It's bigger than the node 304 and 250D, but is still smaller than the rest of the cases such as the H440 and Arc Midi R2. 

Then the H440 and Define R4 are both mid sized ATX cases (probably the size you think of when you see a desktop computer), and they are both cases made to be silent when being used. Both are great cases that have an elegant look to them.

I would advise you first choose the case you want by size, and then start filtering from then on... 

what is the difference on the smaller motherboards (itx) compared to something that would fit in the fractal. will i loose any performance if i went for something like the Obsidian 250D or node 304 compared to the define r4.

Pretty much sums it up.

8320/50 yes, 9590 no.

Do you need an os/monitor etc?

I'm guessing yes.

It's always best to research stuff, but I'd hold off until closer to when you buy. It changes pretty quickly, but learning what different monitor types are and such is always useful and will aid you when it comes time to picking the little things.

Yes i also need a monitor(everything really, including keyboard, new mouse, last one broke, fucking razer naga... mouse mat). two monitors maybe. but that isn't really a top priority, first i would just get something nice but not to expensive. and later maybe buy a better one or just the same and then use the first one i bought as second screen. so i can what youtube while i play or whatever.

So far i havn't even bothered looking into what screen to get, only looked into the price range. so i can make up my mind on what this will cost me. june is still very far away.

Pretty much sums it up.

been thinking a bit, and alot of you guys have said the same that i should focus on just getting together a gaming pc.Then later upgrade for a more powerful pc for rendering and editing.

i think my budget will be around 1000 to a 1250 at first.

I'm pretty sure you can just get a single system that will do what you need.

1000-1250 euros?

what is the difference on the smaller motherboards (itx) compared to something that would fit in the fractal. will i loose any performance if i went for something like the Obsidian 250D or node 304 compared to the define r4.

Performance shouldn't be an issue unless you intend to use more than one graphics card.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.