Phone related videos serving only the immature spenders

turgsh01

Am I the only one sick of useless videos that never talk about stuff that actually matters in a PHONE, instead, they always talk about how all the super HD stuff just got slightly more HD and how shiny nonsense features just got a tiny bit shinier, because we couldn't possibly live without that stuff. How about instead talking about how embarrassingly lame the battery life still is in 2019 and how the phone call quality and the speakerphone quality still sounds like something from the 80s and how nothing has ever been done to improve them over the 36 years that cell phones have been around? Also, smartphone prices... are you kidding me? So like, if I don't want to spend more than $300 CAD on a phone, because not everyone in the world is rich or dumb enough or wants to get locked into 3+ year contracts, I either have to go with an even crappier throwaway flip phone than I currently have or a phone made by some sketchy manufacturer I know nothing about and is likely to fail in a lot of ways.

To this day, my 10 year old Sony Ericsson W995 still has a far better battery life and speakerphone than any smartphone from any respectable manufacturer (Energizer and Huawei aren't respectable phone manufacturers, and their phones have proven to be garbage / security risk). It's literally the only reason I'm still using my W995. I hate this flip phone but unfortunately it's the only option available to me because I need the battery life, portability and reliability. Also, I don't like the idea of software updates possibly making my phone magically worse without notice. I don't know if phone updates on smartphones can be disabled, but that's definitely something I'd do because that's just crazy.

The only ppl obsessing over these really dumb and pointless "new" feature upgrades in phones (in my opinion) are immature and/or dumb spenders who have no concept of reality or money concerns. I think it's about time someone speaks up about it. "Like, omg, they now have a 2000 megapixel camera phone, I guess I should throw away this 1000 megapixel phone to buy this new one because Linus says the pictures look so much sharper than ever before... now I can take pictures of my toe nails at 1 million resolution and then call my friends using this high tech 8 kbit/s mono sound quality signal". Because that's what matters in life, pictures at a million resolution, not the 8 kbit/s sound quality and the fact that the battery is more likely to run out before the end of the day even though ancient phones can still last several days.

Every mature adult I've spoken to have all admitted to hating every smartphone they've ever owned so far and missed the good old days of phones being prioritized as phones and not mini tablets with phone as an option, and every single one of them are all completely jealous of my phone's battery life. But they all feel like they don't have a choice and are forced into buying expensive smartphones because that's basically all that's available to them. This shouldn't be happening but it is and no one in the media seems to care even though they have most of the influential powers as proven by Linus's 3.5mm jack obsession making a come back in mobile devices.

18 minutes ago, turgsh01 said:

-snip-

I agree with you man. When a new phone debuts, for example, I can't stand it when tech Youtubers will spend 12 minutes of a 15 minute video on something like the camera, showing the slightest of differences as if that really mattered to most people. I'd like the R&D for phones to go into strengthening LTE speeds/bands, WiFi and Bluetooth protocols and cell antennas. Build quality and battery life should be a focus too. Encasing a phone entirely in glass was a big mistake in my opinion, and creates a very fragile device.

But at the same time, they're selling and making money so where's the incentive to change the formula? Planned obsolescence has been a thing for awhile, so yeah it sucks. This is part of the reason I went with a Pixel 3a; it sure has its faults don't get me wrong, but to me it got back to the basics of what a phone should be. But I know there are plenty who hate the device so to each their own, but I agree on your post man.  

I agree with about 80% of what you said. Yeah phone makers are prioritizing things like resolution and camera quality when they still havent even figured out good phone call quality. Normal phone call quality is so bad, using speaker phone makes it worse. I mean who actually watches 4k Netflix at Starbucks or whatever? I think some brand needs to come out and change priorities a little bit. I don't think anyone would care if phones were 1mm thicker to double the battery life. A lot of people use cases anyway. The thing is tech youtubers and news companies should address these issues to phone companies hear us. Like other than looking flashy i dont care about that as much as things like phone call quality, durability, and ergonomics. We are also getting to the point where they are putting extremely amazing and expensive cameras when 90% of the people using them wont know how to use it or notice a difference between a Iphone 6s or a Iphone 11pro. I get your point. I just hope one brand will re shape the industry soon.

But for now, i need a android or ios phone for a few things. Ive never spent over $200 on a smartphone because i know it will be outdated fast.

3 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I agree with you man. When a new phone debuts, for example, I can't stand it when tech Youtubers will spend 12 minutes of a 15 minute video on something like the camera, showing the slightest of differences as if that really mattered to most people. I'd like the R&D for phones to go into strengthening LTE speeds/bands, WiFi and Bluetooth protocols and cell antennas. Build quality and battery life should be a focus too. Encasing a phone entirely in glass was a big mistake in my opinion, and creates a very fragile device.

But at the same time, they're selling and making money so where's the incentive to change the formula? Planned obsolescence has been a thing for awhile, so yeah it sucks. This is part of the reason I went with a Pixel 3a; it sure has its faults don't get me wrong, but to me it got back to the basics of what a phone should be. But I know there are plenty who hate the device so to each their own, but I agree on your post man.  

i like the 3a its just too expensive for me

1 minute ago, iKingRPG said:

i like the 3a its just too expensive for me

Holidays are coming up, you may be able to catch a deal or trade in another phone. I know a buddy of mine got his for $199 USD when Google was having an online store special. So ya never know!

Thanks for the kind replies. Not being well established in this particular forum, I didn't know what to expect in response. I just knew I had to say something cuz it kept eating away at me.

1 minute ago, turgsh01 said:

Thanks for the kind replies. Not being well established in this particular forum, I didn't know what to expect in response. I just knew I had to say something cuz it kept eating away at me.

I made a post about it awhile ago but it didn't get any traction. Did ya watch the Apple event where they unveiled the 11? The amount of time spent on the new camera was infuriating, and there was no mention of what improvements, if any, was made to the Wifi or cell antennas or things of that nature. We are a minority my friend but you ain't alone! Lol 

14 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I made a post about it awhile ago but it didn't get any traction. Did ya watch the Apple event where they unveiled the 11? The amount of time spent on the new camera was infuriating, and there was no mention of what improvements, if any, was made to the Wifi or cell antennas or things of that nature. We are a minority my friend but you ain't alone! Lol 

I watched Linus's reveal video which alone was more than enough to trigger me into really thinking about making this post, and then TechLinked posted another video today on Pixel 4 leaks which just made the post official.

49 minutes ago, turgsh01 said:

I watched Linus's reveal video which alone was more than enough to trigger me into really thinking about making this post, and then TechLinked posted another video today on Pixel 4 leaks which just made the post official.

All the reveal video talked about was the fancy glass and the camera, I personally don't care about glass backs and would rather get a phone with a plastic or metal body as I put my phone in a case anyway. A single or dual camera is enough, adding more cameras just seems like a marketing gimmick to me.

It seems like people would rather have a fragile glass sandwich over something durable, or maybe manufacturers listen to the tech journalists complaining the phone doesn't look or feel good enough, or it needs even more cameras, or the bezels are too big, but a huge notch is somehow a decent compromise. I really miss being able to replace the battery, or to have a wide range of phones to choose from, now you have to pick based on features which should be included on something so expensive, like a headphone jack.

9 hours ago, turgsh01 said:

Every mature adult I've spoken to have all admitted to hating every smartphone they've ever owned so far and missed the good old days of phones being prioritized as phones and not mini tablets with phone as an option, and every single one of them are all completely jealous of my phone's battery life. But they all feel like they don't have a choice and are forced into buying expensive smartphones because that's basically all that's available to them.

Well, you haven't spoken to me. I mean, I haven't hated my phone even for a single day, I do not miss the days when phones were "being prioritized as phones" nor am I jealous of your phone's battery-life, either. Oh, and I do not feel forced to buy expensive smartphones.

I would totally not wish to go back to ye olden-days feature-phones: I use my phone to take close-up pictures of electronics and as a magnifying-glass because my eyesight is shite, I use my phone to sync calendar-events and to keep track of them because my memory is shite, I use my phone to look up information on this or that topic rather often, I use it as a GPS, I use it to manage certain things at home that I've made remotely-controllable, and so on. Basically, I use my phone for a lot of things that I'd lose out on with a feature-phone.

As for being expensive...well, it depends on how one defines that. I go for mid-range phones, not flagship-ones, and thus I don't feel like I am overpaying for them.

Better battery-life would be nice, but the current 3-4 days is quite reasonable for my needs.

9 hours ago, turgsh01 said:

how the phone call quality and the speakerphone quality still sounds like something from the 80s and how nothing has ever been done to improve them over the 36 years that cell phones have been around?

There have been improvements in call-quality, quite a lot of them actually, over the years. The latest that comes to mind would be allowing for phonecalls to be made over WiFi, which further improves the bandwidth available for them and thus quality.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I bought my dad a dumb phone from Energizer that he charged 4 times in 4 months :D Yeah, battery lasts for whole freaking month. It's basic, but he only needs it for calls and SMS anyway. And to snap whatever needed with its very basic camera as a memo tool. And that's it.

12 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Holidays are coming up, you may be able to catch a deal or trade in another phone. I know a buddy of mine got his for $199 USD when Google was having an online store special. So ya never know!

Thanks, I'll look out :). I know you can often get good deals if you do Google Fi, but I don't have it because their data is expensive compared to major us carriers.

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Better battery-life would be nice, but the current 3-4 days is quite reasonable for my needs.

There have been improvements in call-quality, quite a lot of them actually, over the years. The latest that comes to mind would be allowing for phonecalls to be made over WiFi, which further improves the bandwidth available for them and thus quality.

It's not that they haven't improved, but even VoIP or volte or wifi calls or whatever sound like garbage when you use something like Google Duo or hangouts.

3 hours ago, -Kriss- said:

My phone is where is spend 75% of my non work/school related tech time. I like having fancy screens and a responsive system. Being limited to text and voice messages is not enough for me in 2019. I cant bring a laptop everywhere or sit at a desktop the whole day.

Battery life always gets me through the day and isnt a concern.

I do agree with camera though as i dont really care for it. And also the recent bump in stupid amounts of storage when most people use cloud services anyway.

Same. It's just I wish certain things would be improved because I still have the issue of phone battery not being long enough, but at the same time I need my Android phone for many things.

I understand your plight, honestly though we are limited by technology, especially for the battery life, 

one of the main reasons large lithium ion batteries were so hard to implement were their probability of malfunction, and as the note 7 shows, using the same production methods as smaller batteries leads to more failure, 

however i do wish they used money to invest in development of better battery technology, our devices draw much more power than old phones used to and a more efficient battery would help so much more than a 4k 120 screen 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I would totally not wish to go back to ye olden-days feature-phones: I use my phone to take close-up pictures of electronics and as a magnifying-glass because my eyesight is shite, I use my phone to sync calendar-events and to keep track of them because my memory is shite, I use my phone to look up information on this or that topic rather often, I use it as a GPS, I use it to manage certain things at home that I've made remotely-controllable, and so on. Basically, I use my phone for a lot of things that I'd lose out on with a feature-phone.

As for being expensive...well, it depends on how one defines that. I go for mid-range phones, not flagship-ones, and thus I don't feel like I am overpaying for them.

Everything you mentioned can be done on my 10 year old W995 non-smartphone. Before smartphones came out, phone prices were between $75 - $300 ($300 being what my W995 was as it was the premium for it's day). Nowadays, $300 is basically the absolute minimum without contract. Also keep in mind that when you buy an older model phone, you're also buying an older battery with it in which has sat on the shelves for years. Batteries only ever age well when they're being used constantly, sitting on the shelves is one of the worst things for a battery. As for phone quality, again, you're wrong. It has been 8kbps since the start and has not changed in 36 years. Would you want to listen to your music at 8kbps or watch a movie at that bitrate?

3 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

I understand your plight, honestly though we are limited by technology, especially for the battery life, 

one of the main reasons large lithium ion batteries were so hard to implement were their probability of malfunction, and as the note 7 shows, using the same production methods as smaller batteries leads to more failure, 

however i do wish they used money to invest in development of better battery technology, our devices draw much more power than old phones used to and a more efficient battery would help so much more than a 4k 120 screen 

Technology overall is only limited by greed and control. It's been proven already that we're around 10 years behind in tech simply because of them. As a quick example, Linus showed us a video on how they had the technology to release 50TB SSD about 3 years ago, and yet, where are they now? As for battery tech, science and logic have shown that we've pretty much reached the limit on that for the most part, but that doesn't mean they can't make the phones more energy efficient. They keep throwing in more background apps and processor performance and fancy OLED panels all consuming more power instead of focusing on battery efficiency. No one needs a 4k panel on a phone as the phone's screen isn't even big enough to tell the difference without having to put your face smack up against it.

4 hours ago, -Kriss- said:

My phone is where is spend 75% of my non work/school related tech time. I like having fancy screens and a responsive system. Being limited to text and voice messages is not enough for me in 2019. I cant bring a laptop everywhere or sit at a desktop the whole day.

Battery life always gets me through the day and isnt a concern.

I do agree with camera though as i dont really care for it. And also the recent bump in stupid amounts of storage when most people use cloud services anyway.

Tablets do exist you know. You can even get one at the same size of a large phone too.

42 minutes ago, turgsh01 said:

Also keep in mind that when you buy an older model phone, you're also buying an older battery with it in which has sat on the shelves for years.

Irrelevant. I didn't say anything about buying old models.

42 minutes ago, turgsh01 said:

Everything you mentioned can be done on my 10 year old W995 non-smartphone. Before smartphones came out, phone prices were between $75 - $300 ($300 being what my W995 was as it was the premium for it's day).

This isn't a contest. I said an old feature-phone wouldn't be good enough and that's that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Irrelevant. I didn't say anything about buying old models.

This isn't a contest. I said an old feature-phone wouldn't be good enough and that's that.

I wasn't contesting, just pointing out the obvious that if they were to make another non-smartphone or at least a smartphone with battery efficiency in mind, you'd still have exactly all the features you mentioned and want in a phone (as well as most of the other apps phones always come with). So... do you still feel satisfied with your overpriced non-sense phone or do you actually feel like you have to have that 4k display with 1000 megapixel triple camera that you'll inevitably be forced into buying when your current phone breaks or receives firmware updates that slows your phone down in a subtle way that you'll likely not notice right away?

3 hours ago, -Kriss- said:

Why would someone want to do that? Tablets have been dead for a long time now for a reason. It seems like you want a seperate device for all for each job that can be done fine on a smartphone. Do you carry around a laptop, camera, phone and music player at all time?

Saying that an old phone is just as good as or better than a mordern phone, because it can call and send texts. Is like saying a pc from 2000 is just as good as a 2019 one because it can run IE and Excel.

Music player and camera requires nearly no processing power or space to achieve in a phone, so those would be ok (not to mention any software they feel they can cram in there like gps, youtube / netflix, etc). Fitting laptop features in a phone is dumb and yes should be separated or at least give us the option not to pay for it. Some of us just want a phone that doesn't cost an arm and leg and doesn't have so much crap running in the background compromising the reliability of the phone not to mention battery life... some of us don't want portable computers running at 120Hz with the latest power hungry processor in our pockets, we just want a phone, but we don't have that option because the immature spenders keep spending and that's where the market is. The world doesn't just revolve around the immature spenders, mature adults do exist and should also matter.

I'd also like to point out that we do have the technology to fit a phone into a watch and just have a ring as a wireless ear piece (or something along those lines) so that to answer your calls, you simply need to move your hand to your ear and have a normal call. But this device doesn't exist simply because they can't also fit the bloatware nonsense in there not to mention texting would have to go back to the old numpad style. And because of that, they couldn't sell it for a steep price. But if you think about it, you'd have the option to use a watch as your phone and just carry around your phone sized tablet in your pocket for all your smart device needs. I'm not saying this would be something I'd be into, but it would be nice to have options like that.

Just to put it in simpler terms for some of you to understand, if we compared to the car industry... gas / diesel cars are old reliable phones with long range and electric cars are the smartphones with very poor range. Now take away the old gas / diesel powered cars and all your left with is electric cars... and you're ok with this because you spend most of your time in cities where charging up and signal strength is of little or no concern to you, but what about the rest of us?

Also, thanks Linus for yet another pointless review video I can't benefit at all from:  

24 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

The batterylife of the phone is going to mostly be dictated by cpu brightness and resolution.

This alone lowers your knowledge and experience credibility by a factor of "just go away". When you can't even get minor details of information correctly, how is anyone supposed to take anything else you say seriously? Hell, you couldn't even manage to use the quote feature correctly.

Just because you refuse to see and understand my point of view doesn't make me wrong. It is my opinion based solely on my experience and the ppl I've talked to. And I have no issues at all with cramming features and software into a budget phone so long as it's not forced on us or costs a lot of extra money or at the sacrifice of battery efficiency. You just misinterpreted what I said.

Making my way into year three with my LeEco Le Pro 3 I picked up for ~$250, running LineageOS (albeit, the Nougat version, as it's too much of a pain to do the clean flash of the newer variants and reinstall/reconfigure everything again). The device has it's faults, the display being the most notable downside, but it largely does what I need a smartphone to do with no complaints in speed, and the large 4 Ah battery seems to age reasonably well. Camera is crap for anything beyond practical usages, but I've my Canon for photos, so nothing lost there.

To date, this was also the most expensive phone I've purchased. Amusingly, I'd probably also be the most likely type of user to get the most from a flagship device. My last device was 4 years old before it was practically falling apart. Don't ask about the overclocking I did to keep my first smartphone (hand-me-down) usable. ?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, turgsh01 said:

So... do you still feel satisfied with your overpriced non-sense phone or do you actually feel like you have to have that 4k display with 1000 megapixel triple camera that you'll inevitably be forced into buying when your current phone breaks or receives firmware updates that slows your phone down in a subtle way that you'll likely not notice right away?

Like I mentioned, I don't buy flagship-models so your silly strawman goes right out the window from the get-go. I am happy with my smartphone and I will continue to be.