How to understand PC component

vagnox

so i'm quite new about PC component, and have plan to upgrade my PC maybe in several year

so how do you know which , for examples i5 which series is better than the other. and how do i compares to like i3 series ?
how about the gpu ? for what i know nvdia XX50 series is budget and maybe XX60 - XXX70 is kinda medium range , and XX90 series is XX80- XX90 is the higher range component 
then how about radeon series ? how do you compare to each other

First off I’m assuming you are going for gaming.

• for intel CPUs look at core count and hyper threading. A new i5 with 6 cores will perform around as well as an i7 with 4 cores 8threads as long as it is 6th gen intel or newer. For the new intel high end CPU’s it goes 8700k -> 9700k -> 9900k
  • for AMD CPU’s 2xxx and 3xxx series they perform about on par with their intel counter parts (r5 = i5), but perform worse at higher frame rate (120fps+) but perform better at multi cpu games (online games with lots of people playing at the same time) the ryzen 3xxx series is close enough to intel for it not to matter in the high FPS department. 
  • For gpus it’s easier to break it down by categories:
  • 1080p 60fps: AMD Rx 570/580 or gtx 1660 
  • 1080p high refresh rate: rx590/ 5700 or gtx 1660/1660ti
  • 1440p 60fps AMD Vega gpus or 5700 or gtx 1070/1070ti or 2060/2060 super
  • 1440p high refresh rate: AMD 5700 xt or gtx 2070/ 2070 super
  • 4k 60: gtx 2070 super~/ 2080 / 2080 super 
  • 4K high refresh rate: 2080 super/ 2080 ti

essentially you just have to look at benchmark videos. Benchmarks at 1080p will stress cpu showing cpu bottlenecks, and benchmarks at 4K stress the GPU showing GPU bottlenecks.

The best way to know the performance of all videocards and such is by reading or watching reviews.

To first start on GPU's, be sure to look at reviews that show games you'll be playing. Certain games play better in AMD or Nvidia.

You can also cross-reference multiple reviews if you do it carefully.

What I mean by that, if you want to compare GPU A, B, and C, but can only find a review with A+C and A+B, you can look at these numbers and gauge the difference between C+B.

With CPU's it's a similar story, but it still depends on what you do with these CPU's.

There are CPU and GPU aggregation websites (Userbenchmark), but those are often not that reliable. CPU userbenchmark is alright if you look at single and multi core speeds separately, but GPU benchmarks rely so much on what game you play, that those performance websites are not accurate to real world usually.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I just google xxx vs yyy and usually find a website that ranks the and shows which is better.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Reviews and benchmarks. They aren't perfect, but you will learn to read how big of performance difference is actually worth to pay for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, xKyric said:

I use UserBenchmark to compare components, it's proven to be quite handy.  

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Do not use that, it's shit. Well, at least for CPUs.

I would rather you just look up benchmark on anandtech for example, because that is better.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Do not use that, it's shit. Well, at least for CPUs.

I would rather you just look up benchmark on anandtech for example, because that is better.

i mean i use it when i can't remember what is clearly better off the top of my head, it's more of a general ref. i also use it to compare 1 specific CPU with a group of the same model

and i also know that the algorithm is slightly broken

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

10 hours ago, Gegger said:

i mean i use it when i can't remember what is clearly better off the top of my head, it's more of a general ref. i also use it to compare 1 specific CPU with a group of the same model

and i also know that the algorithm is slightly broken

I used to quote them too sometimes, but apparently they are not very accurate.  Here's a video which explains why.  Steve from Gamers Nexus also discussed this, but I can't find his video.  I think it was buried in one of his news episodes.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:35 AM, vagnox said:

so i'm quite new about PC component, and have plan to upgrade my PC maybe in several year

so how do you know which , for examples i5 which series is better than the other. and how do i compares to like i3 series ?
how about the gpu ? for what i know nvdia XX50 series is budget and maybe XX60 - XXX70 is kinda medium range , and XX90 series is XX80- XX90 is the higher range component 
then how about radeon series ? how do you compare to each other

Look best bet is there are tier lists from best to worst and PC partpicker if you have something missing or incorrect amount of ports or some type of user component error. PC part picker tells you that this doesnt fit that. But watch any guide or a tier list they did good for me a few years ago