How Much Should You Back Up Your Data and What is the Likelihood of Drive Failure?

avrona
16 hours ago, avrona said:

it's not my fault people are saying things on here that I just can't agree on because they make no sense

Ok Scooter, remaining uninformed isn't your fault.  Bloviating "unpopular opinion" on a set of cherry picked Backblaze stats is what most rational 'experts' would probably do anyhow.

Just to be clear, you're just assuming that all your 165 viewers bought only the low-failure drives? (if so, I missed that disclaimer in the vid) Do you also assume Backblaze bought every crappy consumer drive for their stats? No one would assume they bought only better drives for their business.

You assumed that the annualized failure rate means likelihood. Probably no one would care that failure rates can climb to 10% after two years and up to 20% after three years, right?

That means 16 of your viewers are statistically likely to lose data sometime in year 2, and 32 of them in year three. And you're encouraging them (by the title) that they "SHOULDN'T Backup"? Assuming (if the stats worked out perfect) that 100% of those 16 people lost data, they're just collateral damage to your opinion that it "make no sense" based on your research of the subject.

BTW, eliminating the cherry picked statistics, actual 'data' failure rates can be above 13% depending on drive and environmental conditions. So for 21 of your 165 viewers, I'm sure 'unintentional' backups will save the day, and you'll be their hero!

On 10/23/2019 at 6:57 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm sorry to break it to you but it's you that needs to grow up. Friendly tip, when "reviewing" mice one should at least consider trimming their nails. 

Cool, and any evidence that that's the case other than you just being unable to process that someone has a different opinion to you? And then putting reviewing in quotation marks and making a remark about nail length that has nothing to do with anything just adds even hypocrisy to your whole statement. Now that's poetic.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:32 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Still you, little boy. You are the only one who is arrogantly making no sense.

Having a different opinion doesn't mean making no sense. Not being able to process that simple bit of info and using "little boy" as you opener to a comment, is arrogant on the other hand.

1 minute ago, avrona said:

Cool, and any evidence that that's the case other than you just being unable to process that someone has a different opinion to you? And then putting reviewing in quotation marks and making a remark about nail length that has nothing to do with anything just adds even hypocrisy to your whole statement. Now that's poetic.

Having a different opinion doesn't mean making no sense. Not being able to process that simple bit of info and using "little boy" as you opener to a comment, is arrogant on the other hand.

? You still don't "get it" (or you are trolling, which I'm increasingly believing since I find it hard to believe anyone can be as arrogantly and willfully ignorant as you appear). As far as the "little boy" comments go, I call things as I see them and I see you behaving like a petulant child.

You keep harping on how backups are not needed and even encourage people not to make them even after I provided you with numerous links of people who would not have lost their data had they had their data backed up (and those were just from these forums only). You choose to reject substantiated facts (not just unsubstantiated opinions like yours) presented to you by numerous people here, some of whom are recognized authorities who actually work in the field for a living, not just host a pathetic, rinkydink Youtbe channel (and I've seen you doing the same thing on other forums). You claim to be over 18 but what I see are the actions of a toddler so grow up, little boy. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

47 minutes ago, avrona said:

You are clearly a child, at least mentally so  from now on I'm gonna use the same method as I do with my 4 year old niece when she is having a temper tantrum, ignore her. Works like a charm, try that @Lady Fitzgerald he clearly thrives on this nonsense, ignoring him is the best course of action.

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

You are clearly a child, at least mentally so  from now on I'm gonna use the same method as I do with my 4 year old niece when she is having a temper tantrum, ignore her. Works like a charm, try that @Lady Fitzgerald he clearly thrives on this nonsense, ignoring him is the best course of action.

Sending little children into time out (mine got banished to their rooms) works even better. They get the message quickly, if not immediately, and my ex and I didn't have to endure the tantrum.

The problem with ignoring a tantrum, other than how annoying they are, is the first lesson a child learns from being ignored is they can get away with throwing the tantrum. Learning that a tantrum is ineffectual comes later, if at all.

Pity there is no way to send Avrona into time out...permanantly.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Sending little children into time out (mine got banished to their rooms) works even better. They get the message quickly, if not immediately, and my ex and I didn't have to endure the tantrum.

The problem with ignoring a tantrum, other than how annoying they are, is the first lesson a child learns from being ignored is they can get away with throwing the tantrum. Learning that a tantrum is ineffectual comes later, if at all.

Really pity, agree on that. But I think that all of his nonsense is a way to increase traffic of his mostly ignored channel, he likes to create nonsense that in his mind might lead to increased traffic, as they say there is no such thing as bad publicity, so taking that away from him might be a lesson he needs.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:55 PM, Tegos said:

I think the fact that this thread's still going for no other reason than you trying to come out on top of the discussion, despite clearly being in the wrong, is a good enough indicator of your maturity.

Isn't the fact you think I'm being immature for just having a different opinion and clearly not being in the wrong with no evidence pointing towards that immature though?

On 10/30/2019 at 2:08 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

? You still don't "get it" (or you are trolling, which I'm increasingly believing since I find it hard to believe anyone can be as arrogantly and willfully ignorant as you appear). As far as the "little boy" comments go, I call things as I see them and I see you behaving like a petulant child.

You keep harping on how backups are not needed and even encourage people not to make them even after I provided you with numerous links of people who would not have lost their data had they had their data backed up (and those were just from these forums only). You choose to reject substantiated facts (not just unsubstantiated opinions like yours) presented to you by numerous people here, some of whom are recognized authorities who actually work in the field for a living, not just host a pathetic, rinkydink Youtbe channel (and I've seen you doing the same thing on other forums). You claim to be over 18 but what I see are the actions of a toddler so grow up, little boy. 

It's sad that you think I'm trolling and I'm being a toddle just because of me having a different opinion. How mature of you, does it make you feel better about yourself?

On 10/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

Sorry to blow your little bubble of smugness but having an opinion on something with evidence to back it up is not being a child, claiming that that is the case, like you are doing, is far more so, I think even your 4 year old niece would get that, hopefully she won't turn out as smug as you.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Yes pity I can't be quiet just cus I'm saying something you disagree with. How petty is that, is it so hard to look at what you are doing and see what a gang of petty, smug "adults" you are who can't stand someone disagreeing with you? Get a grip on life.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:54 PM, noxdeouroboros said:

Really pity, agree on that. But I think that all of his nonsense is a way to increase traffic of his mostly ignored channel, he likes to create nonsense that in his mind might lead to increased traffic, as they say there is no such thing as bad publicity, so taking that away from him might be a lesson he needs.

Ah yes, such mature comments that have nothing to do with anything just to bring someone down just because they don't agree with you.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, Slayerking92 said:

Image result for Stop feeding the trolls

Like the ones attacking me on this thread for no reason? Yeah good idea.

* thread locked *

This went on for way too long (I would say 4 pages too long).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !