Help me choose a laptop for college

In one years time, I will be going to college and moving into a dorm away from my PC. Because of this, I will need a semi-light laptop that I can carry around campus and take back to my dorm so I can study or game. My dad (who is paying for the laptop) wants to buy me a $2000 mac book pro but I dislike mac OS and want a gaming laptop. I'm torn on which to choose, as I know the mac book has amazing build quality and can last me my whole college career, but I can't game on it and with that money, I believe I can buy something of equal quality and longevity. I'm not totally opposed to getting a mac but do you guys have any suggestions on laptops with equal or even greater quality than a mac book that I can game on? 

Some notes:
-I'm going to be running programs like autodesk, solid edge, after effects, and photoshop   
-budget around $2000

Laptops I'm looking at:
-Acer triton 500
-GS65 STEALTH-296
-HP OMEN 15-dc1052nr
P.S.- Try to provide reasons on why the laptop is good so I have some selling points against apple

Get a 13" Ultrabook with a Thunderbolt 3 port and an eGPU. 

You are a student first, not a gamer. So you'll need portability and battery life above all else. 15" laptops are extremely cumbersome in a College setting and gaming laptops tend to die rather quickly thanks to their overpowered CPUs. It's because of this that I don't believe a student should realistically buy a gaming laptop. 

I recommend an XPS 13" with this config:

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz, 4 cores)
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
  • 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • $1300

I would personally choose a Mac, however because of autodesk I would recommend sticking with a Windows laptop. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Have you considered the razor laptop 1 or 2 fully specked out?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Razor blade is a prety good choice but after adobe update Macbook runs way better than from any windows laptop.

37 minutes ago, Mike21 said:

Razor blade is a prety good choice

2 hours ago, birdflyer said:

reliability?

3 hours ago, Jieno666 said:

I dislike mac OS

you could use boot camp and run windows on Mac so this isn't much of a limitation imo, the hardware and price are.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz, 4 cores)

what about the i5 model? Not like they differ much in performance, both hit TDP before their max rated frequencies.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

For you I would definitely recommend the Razer Blade 15". I think it meets all your needs. It's thin and portable, it has all the I/O you will need — much better than the MacBook Pro's. It has all the power you would need for gaming and a screen fast enough to keep up with it. The storage included is a good size, and you can upgrade it with a spare 2.5" slot. The build quality is excellent and it can also last you your whole college career. The price to performance ratio is also a lot more impressive than the MacBook Pro. I would recommend this model:

Processor | 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9750H 6 Core (2.6GHz/4.5GHz)

Graphics | NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 (6GB GDDR6 VRAM)

Display | 15.6" Full HD 144Hz, 100% sRGB, 4.9mm bezel, factory calibrated

Storage | 512GB SSD (NVMe) + empty 2.5" (SATA, 7mm max. thickness)

Memory | 16GB Dual-Channel (8GB x 2) DDR4 2667MHz

I/O | USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB-A) x3, Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C), Gigabit Ethernet, headphone jack

View it on Razer's website here: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/shop#rtx2060--fhd-144hz-9thgen--512plus-blk

Hope this helps!

Edited by LogicalDrm
Removed some no-no thingys

there are 3 things to remember, 1. are you a gamer , 2. how much can you spend on you new laptop, 3. what college work will you be doing and what will it require?

A decent laptop is a Zephyrus G. It has a large 76WHR battery with 512ssd gtx 1660ti and Ryzen 7 3750h with a lower TDP(power draw) than its intel counterparts. Basic browsing and word docs it'll last you 5-6 hours and gaming its solid. Keep in mind its thermals arn't the best, merely ok and Asus reliability is questionable... But a point is made. I bought a Zephyrus G and was in the exact situation you are. I woudnt recommend carrying this thing around as while YES it is very thin its still kinda heavy. Not to mention it turned out the first one i got had a hardware problem as i sent it for a Ram upgrade so i got a second one just within warranty. Asus reliability is worth keeping in mind. 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:16 AM, birdflyer said:

ive seen so many bad reviews on the razer on how they have bad build quality and bad customer service 

18 hours ago, miku126 said:

there are 3 things to remember, 1. are you a gamer , 2. how much can you spend on you new laptop, 3. what college work will you be doing and what will it require?

1) Ive played games my whole life so I cant really see myself doing anything but game on my free time. I dont play campaign games and only cooperative shooters like fortnite or CSGO. My main concern is that if something like fortnite 2 comes out I wont be able to play it on a non gaming laptop with over 60 fps. 

2) I dont want the price to go over 2000

3) engineering and it would require autodesk 

19 hours ago, To Be Technical said:

For you I would definitely recommend the Razer Blade 15". I think it meets all your needs. It's thin and portable, it has all the I/O you will need — much better than the MacBook Pro's. It has all the power you would need for gaming and a screen fast enough to keep up with it. The storage included is a good size, and you can upgrade it with a spare 2.5" slot. The build quality is excellent and it can also last you your whole college career. The price to performance ratio is also a lot more impressive than the MacBook Pro. I would recommend this model:

Processor | 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-9750H 6 Core (2.6GHz/4.5GHz)

Graphics | NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 (6GB GDDR6 VRAM)

Display | 15.6" Full HD 144Hz, 100% sRGB, 4.9mm bezel, factory calibrated

Storage | 512GB SSD (NVMe) + empty 2.5" (SATA, 7mm max. thickness)

Memory | 16GB Dual-Channel (8GB x 2) DDR4 2667MHz

I/O | USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB-A) x3, Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C), Gigabit Ethernet, headphone jack

View it on Razer's website here: https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gaming-laptops/razer-blade/shop#rtx2060--fhd-144hz-9thgen--512plus-blk

Hope this helps!

Im definitely a razer fanboy but ive heard so many negative reviews on it about bad build quality and bad customer service so im a bit meh.  

7 hours ago, Wellingtonzed said:

A decent laptop is a Zephyrus G. It has a large 76WHR battery with 512ssd gtx 1660ti and Ryzen 7 3750h with a lower TDP(power draw) than its intel counterparts. Basic browsing and word docs it'll last you 5-6 hours and gaming its solid. Keep in mind its thermals arn't the best, merely ok and Asus reliability is questionable... But a point is made. I bought a Zephyrus G and was in the exact situation you are. I woudnt recommend carrying this thing around as while YES it is very thin its still kinda heavy. Not to mention it turned out the first one i got had a hardware problem as i sent it for a Ram upgrade so i got a second one just within warranty. Asus reliability is worth keeping in mind. 

Assuming that you're in the same situation as me, have you been to college? Would you say you have time to game during freetime? And as for the weight of the laptop cant you just buy a laptop bag and carry it in that? I see weight being such a deciding factor in buying a laptop but I cant imagine a 5 pound laptop in a bag being that big of a burden. 

oh well, actually this year is my first time at university. As for free time, well you might have a bit to relax over the weekends and stuff. As for weight, i just mentioned it cause having a heavier device might make it more unwieldly and likely to drop it thats all so keep it in mind. otherwise I just stick it in my backpack, preferably in the middle zipper bag so it has SOME cushioning just in case i drop my bag or something. 

Otherwise, The Zeph G has done fine by me. Also its notably cheaper than all the other laptops you mentioned. Heres a review Linus did. 

Its Ok on the thermal. And again bear in mind Asus reliability might wanna go for some sort of warranty just in case. Its unlikely to be defective or anything but still never hurts especially since youll be relying on it and travelling and whatnot. its about 1000USD and I got one for 1300CAD (Canadian). Depends on where you look.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 6:50 AM, Jieno666 said:

Im definitely a razer fanboy but ive heard so many negative reviews on it about bad build quality and bad customer service so im a bit meh.  

Customer services possibly but the laptop generally has positive reviews. There are a few caveats obviously but people seem to like it.