I broke my GPU. Can I fix it still?

Pachuca

Hi everyone, as the title suggests I broke my Gigabyte Gaming OC gtx 1080 ti while I was trying to remove a water block. Long story short, I had to squeeze a plastic piece that was holding a screw in place and when I did that it accidentally pushed on one of the chips and detached it from the pcb. The chip is next to the bridge for SLI toward the IO ports and I'm thinking it might not be even a problem since I don't use SLI, but before testing this out I wanted to share pics and see if anyone would be able to help me figure this out before I make things worse lol. Would the GPU work as is or is that chip important and needs to be fixed. Should I try soldering it myself or is there another option since I haven't soldered something so delicate before. Thanks for your help in advance.  

first picture, red arrow pointing to the chip. it's in the position it should be in, but not connected 

image.png.b9bcaecc92039b0a82df464a8e54fcfb.png

second picture the chip is removed from it's spot.

image.png.98ba995eb179bb90ec44004c6fb13477.png

6 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Would the GPU work as is or is that chip important and needs to be fixed.

One would need either schematics for the GPU or to trace where the leads connect to to be able to answer that, but it's a transistor or a low-power MOSFET, so it's likely to be important.

8 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Should I try soldering it myself

Before you can even begin to consider anything like that, you need to inspect whether you ripped the solder-pads off the PCB. If you did...well, that's going to be a major problem. Not just a minor one. The pictures you provided have too low resolution to be able to tell from them whether you did rip the pads off or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Hi everyone, as the title suggests I broke my Gigabyte Gaming OC gtx 1080 ti while I was trying to remove a water block. Long story short, I had to squeeze a plastic piece that was holding a screw in place and when I did that it accidentally pushed on one of the chips and detached it from the pcb. The chip is next to the bridge for SLI toward the IO ports and I'm thinking it might not be even a problem since I don't use SLI, but before testing this out I wanted to share pics and see if anyone would be able to help me figure this out before I make things worse lol. Would the GPU work as is or is that chip important and needs to be fixed. Should I try soldering it myself or is there another option since I haven't soldered something so delicate before. Thanks for your help in advance.  

first picture, red arrow pointing to the chip. it's in the position it should be in, but not connected 

So that piece of broken off uh ?  Use solder carefully as you don't wanna jack it up.  If your good at soldering then do it, but if your not technical with hardware, see if you have a friend who can do it for you.  I don't think computer shops will touch this thing.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

From the looks of it, the pads are still intact, so if you had some solder paste, a relatively fine solder tip, and some thin solder wire it should be fixable. I've done a couple of these kinds of repairs before, and the main thing is holding the chip in place while you solder it.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

You'll need a good soldering iron, a fine tip, fine solder, and a steady hand, and some luck. Assuming as mentioned the solder pads aren't ripped off and the component itself isn't damaged.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

One would need either schematics for the GPU or to trace where the leads connect to to be able to answer that, but it's a transistor or a low-power MOSFET, so it's likely to be important.

Schematics are really hard to get. I tried to get a couple of capacitor values for a Gigabyte GTX 760, but they wouldn't budge.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

First off, is the product still under warranty? If so, contact the manufacturer and see if they can do anything for you. DO NOT test it until you see if the warranty is valid as testing could void it in some way.

Secondly, if you want to attempt to solder it yourself, I would recommend trying to solder a chip similar to the one on your GPU on donor hardware to make sure you can do it without further damage to your GPU occurring.

Just now, Opencircuit74 said:

Schematics are really hard to get.

I know.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 hours ago, Pachuca said:

image.png.98ba995eb179bb90ec44004c6fb13477.png

Looks like pads are still in tact. I would just see if you have any electronic repair shops or people in your area. Since you have everything it is just compensating for their time... 20-40 bucks should cover it... would take them like 5 minutes to fix that.

5 hours ago, Pachuca said:

I feel for you, this reminds me of when I knocked off a capacitor off the memory module. In my case it was fine without the cap and also fine after soldering it on. Hope you get lucky too.

26 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Looks like pads are still in tact. I would just see if you have any electronic repair shops or people in your area. Since you have everything it is just compensating for their time... 20-40 bucks should cover it... would take them like 5 minutes to fix that.

Shops generally have a min charge of .5-1 hr depending on the shop. Might find one as cheap as you said but it also wouldnt shock me if he was hit with $100+ bill and obviously no guarantee of it actually working

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

Shops generally have a min charge of .5-1 hr depending on the shop. Might find one as cheap as you said but it also wouldnt shock me if he was hit with $100+ bill and obviously no guarantee of it actually working

I would have worked out the price long before then. Then again I have enough options I can call around to find someone willing to do it. Hell, chances are I could find someone to do it from free. That being said always get the price negotiated first. You know what needs to done and they can easily see what is required.