Activating Windows on new computer.

So I recently put together a gaming PC for the first time. "yay!" and all that.

I have an old PC with Win10 Pro activated on it, but I want to migrate that license to my new one. So how do I do this?

I followed a tutorial on the Microsoft support website, one about re-activating windows after significant hardware changes.

It mentioned that I should go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation -> Troubleshoot and follow the steps from there.

Those steps include clicking "I recently changed hardware on this device" and selecting the device I'm using at the moment.

Now, here is where the problem lies. This list of devices linked to my Microsoft account contains a grand total of 1 PC, which is my old one. The new one doesn't show up.

I think it's because that tool is built for computers where the hardware changed. In my case (excuse the pun) the PC is made completely of new parts. Even storage and boot drive.

So how do I migrate my license to my new PC? I'm not sure I'll be able to find my product key, because I did the free upgrade from Win7 thing, but Microsoft assured me that everything would be fine if I just linked my Microsoft account, which I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll answer as many questions as necessary. (I won't respond for the coming 8-9 hours as of posting this tho, as it is currently 1 AM for me and I want to go to bed)

If you have a Windows 7 or 8 key, try activating windows 10 using it. (after it's been installed, in Settings > Activation, don't enter the key during the install process itself, skip that part)

It certainly worked for me just last month when I got my new PC. (As long as you've selected the right windows 10 edition to install... You can't get Win10 Pro with a Win7/8 Home key for example)

Worst case, you can literally get a Windows 10 license for less than 10$, be it on Ebay or some grey market key reseller.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, JoostVisser said:

I think it's because that tool is built for computers where the hardware changed. In my case (excuse the pun) the PC is made completely of new parts. Even storage and boot drive.

A completely new PC is literally the same thing as a hardware change.

The only thing that matters is that the motherboard is different.

You should be able to just log in with the microsoft account on the new PC and it will activate.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

1. Sign in as an administrator to add your Microsoft account. To confirm that you're using an administrator account, select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts  > Your info . Under your name, you’ll see Administrator. If you’re not an administrator, see Create a local user or administrator account
    Go to Your info in Settings
  2. Confirm that the administrator account is also your Microsoft account by checking to see if an email address is displayed above Administrator. If an email address is displayed, this is a Microsoft account. If not, you’re logged in using a local account. If you don’t yet have a Microsoft account, see How to create a new Microsoft account.
  3. Once you confirm that you’re an administrator and using your Microsoft account, go back to the Activation page, select Add an account, enter your Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in.

After your Microsoft account has been added, the message on the Activation page will change to: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.

7 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

You can't transfer keys between computers unless it's a full retail version, not an upgrade or OEM key.

You need a new key.

No you do not.

All windows licenses can be transferred to any computer.

There is no difference between a "retail key" or "OEM key"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

36 minutes ago, Enderman said:

When did this change? I know for a fact this was policy for XP and Win 7. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

49 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A completely new PC is literally the same thing as a hardware change.

The only thing that matters is that the motherboard is different.

You should be able to just log in with the microsoft account on the new PC and it will activate.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

1. Sign in as an administrator to add your Microsoft account. To confirm that you're using an administrator account, select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Accounts  > Your info . Under your name, you’ll see Administrator. If you’re not an administrator, see Create a local user or administrator account
    Go to Your info in Settings
  2. Confirm that the administrator account is also your Microsoft account by checking to see if an email address is displayed above Administrator. If an email address is displayed, this is a Microsoft account. If not, you’re logged in using a local account. If you don’t yet have a Microsoft account, see How to create a new Microsoft account.
  3. Once you confirm that you’re an administrator and using your Microsoft account, go back to the Activation page, select Add an account, enter your Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in.

After your Microsoft account has been added, the message on the Activation page will change to: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.

No you do not.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A1647EE-3FC7-47F2-9AFE-470AD5E5D856/OEMSoftwareLicensingRulesandRestrictions.pdf

Microsoft disagrees. While I have heard of our Microsoft over lords showing mercy. Technically they don’t have to transfer the license to new hardware if it’s an OEM license l. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

When did this change? I know for a fact this was policy for XP and Win 7. 

Well 5 years ago I was able to use my OEM 7 key to activate windows on a new system which people said wasn't possible.

Last year I also used OEM windows 7 keys to activate windows 10 installs which people also thought wasn't possible because the free upgrade period ended.

And I know for a fact tons of people on this forum have used the method above to move windows 10 OEM licenses to different motherboards or brand new computers without issue.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/1/6A1647EE-3FC7-47F2-9AFE-470AD5E5D856/OEMSoftwareLicensingRulesandRestrictions.pdf

Microsoft disagrees. While I have heard of our Microsoft over lords showing mercy. Technically they don’t have to transfer the license to new hardware if it’s an OEM license l. 

Yeah they say plenty of stuff in the terms and conditions, but there is literally nothing preventing it.

I've moved OEM 7 licences accross computers, used 7 licenses to activate windows 10 long past the 'free upgrade period', moved OEM windows 10 licenses, etc etc etc

Tons of people on this forum have too.

There is nothing to distinguish OEM from retail licenses anymore.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah it says plenty of stuff in the terms and conditions, but there is literally nothing preventing it.

I've moved OEM 7 licences accross computers, used 7 licenses to activate windows 10 long past the 'free upgrade period', moved OEM windows 10 licenses, etc etc etc

Tons of people on this forum have too.

But technically saying yeah you can move it, isnt exactly right. Microsoft could tell you no, one of these times. And you have no recourse because under the licence you cant move it to new hardware. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

But technically saying yeah you can move it, isnt exactly right. Microsoft could tell you no, one of these times. And you have no recourse because under the licence you cant move it to new hardware. 

Well microsoft could also tell you you're not allowed to use your windows in a virtual machine but people have been doing that for decades so.............................

They could also easily stop letting people use windows for free without activating, but they haven't, so...........

The terms and conditions are just a bunch of legal BS, if you want to follow it word for word then that's your choice.

There are millions of people who use OEM keys on new motherboards/computers, use windows unactivated, and literally everything else you can imagine the 'agreement' says not to do.

It works.

They don't care.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

ree without activating, but they haven't,

Try doing that with XP, Vista, 7 or 8.1. I doubt it would work. The only reason they allow it with 10 is because its harvesting data and they are able to make money on that data. Plain and simple. Thats why they dont care. Because either way, they either get the money for the licence or get money from harvesting what ever data they harvest. Either way they make money. 

Also I didnt say it wasn't possible. I just said, under the agreement its not allowed. I did acknowledge that some times the Microsoft gods show mercy to us poor bastards.