What CPU to choose for Gaming at 1080p/2K?

Hello guys,

I´m kinda sick of searching the best CPU/Price performance. I don´t like AMD so I won´t choose it anyways. 

I saw this CPUs for my GPU that is a RTX 2070 Super with 32GB DDR4 at 3800MHz

- i5 9600K = 239€

- i7 8700  = 300€

- i7 9700K = 370€

So I only do gaming at 1080p and some titles I will play on TV at 1440p (no need for 4K since it looks great anyways at 1440p).

I don´t do rendering or anything. Do u recomend any of this CPUs and yes If i can spear some money it would be great. But I dont wanna have any bottleneck on the GPU and my GPU was at a great deal (499€) so I had to grap it :P

Rest I don´t know what PSU I should choose, motherboard its a easy choise ofc... 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, JaySDelta said:

I don´t like AMD so I won´t choose it anyways. 

You don't need 32GBs of RAM, and certainly not at 3800mhz.

And a Ryzen 5 3600 is easily the best value CPU out right now at ~200 EUR, and it's basically the i7 8700 for a lower price.

and I know you bought the GPU already, but the 350 EUR RX 5700 would have been perfectly fine for gaming at 1440p 60hz.

What's your total budget for the rest of the PC?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9600k will do, invest more in things that benefit your overclocking (otherwise it wont best Ryzen significantly)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You don't need 32GBs of RAM, and certainly not at 3800mhz.

And a Ryzen 5 3600 is easily the best value CPU out right now at ~200 EUR, and it's basically the i7 8700 for a lower price.

and I know you bought the GPU already, but the 350 EUR RX 5700 would have been perfectly fine for gaming at 1440p 60hz.

What's your total budget for the rest of the PC?

Well I don´t like AMD. I had a Ryzen 2700X and I had bad performance. They are great for rending and so but a 3600 costs here the same as a 9600K and the boards are alote more expensive at the moment. But I made a good point! Thanks! 

About the performance of the 3600 vs 8700, well what I saw in techpowerup the 3600 its almost beated by every i5 and i7. Or did I saw wrong? Sorry to ask!

Yes the GPU was a good price and I couldn´t resiste. Even the stores says to avoid the Rx series, they are alote ppl complaining of overheat even at custom versions.

I have a AOC 25PX or whatever its called, it has a 144Hz monitor so ye... more FPS, better 

What I hate about Internet is the inconsistency of the reviews about it, some gave the i7 8700 a better "buy" others gave the i5 9600K... any case I wanna avoid having the called bottleneck.

Sure the 3800MHz was overkill but bro, it was offered :P can´t say no to that right? Overall I wanna spend less then possible since I need to sell my laptop so in that case I already invested about 600€ in my system, therefore I wanna invest about 160€ max on the board, 100€ max on PSU, well CPU will need a cooler for some light CPU OC... 

In resume, I have the case, I have the memory and GPU. The rest... well... its a complicated because youtube is full of crap :S

What would u do in my case? thanks!

PS What I don´t get is how is possible that the i5 8600K has a better performance % in general then a i5 9600K and outbeats the R5 3600X by alote according to Techpowerup! 

13 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

9600k will do, invest more in things that benefit your overclocking (otherwise it wont best Ryzen significantly)

Hum, like PSU and so? I already own the RAM and GPU so, what would u recomend? 

4 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

2700X and I had bad performance.

That could have been a lot of things, it should only be like 15-20% slower than the 9900K, but that's still like 110fps vs like 120-130fps depending on the game being played. So the actual performance difference isn't going to be too huge. Do you still have that or did you sell it?

Probably just get a 9600KF and overclock it to 5-5.2ghz if you simply want the best gaming performance, just grab a 240mm AIO, or a large heatsink like the Scythe Fuma 2

The KF CPUs should overclock slightly better, they just don't have onboard graphics

Going to assume this board has a decent VRM.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Gq3TbX

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€234.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (€52.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€179.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €467.41

If you're every going to get into anything besides gaming, then the R5 3600 would make more sense. Although it's too bad cheaper B550 boards aren't out yet.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That could have been a lot of things, it should only be like 15-20% slower than the 9900K, but that's still like 110fps vs like 120-130fps depending on the game being played. So the actual performance difference isn't going to be too huge. Do you still have that or did you sell it?

Probably just get a 9600KF and overclock it to 5-5.2ghz if you simply want the best gaming performance, just grab a 240mm AIO, or a large heatsink like the Scythe Fuma 2

The KF CPUs should overclock slightly better, they just don't have onboard graphics

Going to assume this board has a decent VRM.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Gq3TbX

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600KF 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€234.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  (€52.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€179.90 @ Caseking)
Total: €467.41

If you're every going to get into anything besides gaming, then the R5 3600 would make more sense. Although it's too bad cheaper B550 boards aren't out yet.

Very well explained.

Ye internet is a messing confusing place to choose by reviews because some websites gives clear advantage to Intel.

I sold back in 2018 the Ryzen 7 2700X (well all the system), I remember to have a GTX 1080 so ye. Had problems and shutter on Battlefield series, don´t know the reason, could be bad memory but still it was sad because it wasn´t cheap eater at the time!

So the "KF" versions are unlocked without iGPU right? Damn I don´t need anyways any Integrated GPU good point there. Its 5€ more then in my store.

Btw I have to buy to 2 local stores, both have good prices but limited stock. They have indeed the i5 9600KF so, if u say it overclocks better I will go for it, its only 5€ more! No problem there!

About the board, I´m going full Mini-ITX because I travel between 3 residences, sure Laptop could do the thing but u know that they are very limited and I only play at Home anyways. Funny thing all 3 residences have Monitor and TV so no problem there. I need a slim case. Not sure if there is a place for the AIO u said, have to check it.

The board, I have 2 chooses....

Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro WiFi

MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming (this one is very very expensive, like 75€ more) :S

I always had MSI so can´t complain about them but u maybe understand better. I need a good PSU too right?

The case has a good airflow (on the sides) and can have a cooler high size to 80mm or AIO 120mm.

9 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

Had problems and shutter on Battlefield series

If you were running in DX12 mode that still likely had some issues.

Overclocking on the ITX may be more of an issue, the Strix is more expensive because of that insane VRM lol

Maybe go for the MSI board there just because it has VRM heatsinks on everything, and the gigabyte board is only covering half. Dunno about the actual quality of it though, you'd have to check with an overclocking forum

https://www.overclock.net/

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you were running in DX12 mode that still likely had some issues.

Overclocking on the ITX may be more of an issue, the Strix is more expensive because of that insane VRM lol

Maybe go for the MSI board there just because it has VRM heatsinks on everything, and the gigabyte board is only covering half. Dunno about the actual quality of it though, you'd have to check with an overclocking forum

https://www.overclock.net/

And for the PSU. What do u recommend since it's a pretty importante thing? 

Have to think better what to buy if MSI or ASUS. I7 doesn't make any sense to buy for gaming right? The store told me it would be better choose but as u know they wanna sell always the more expensive stuff.

Damn that ASUS motherboard is damn sexy. But I can't imagine fitting any cooler o in or can it? 

4 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

And for the PSU. What do u recommend since it's a pretty importante thing? 

Have to think better what to buy if MSI or ASUS. I7 doesn't make any sense to buy for gaming right? The store told me it would be better choose but as u know they wanna sell always the more expensive stuff. 

Most games aren't going to care about the extra threads on the i7, getting to 5ghz or more on the i5 is going to give you pretty close gaming performance to the i7/i9 CPUs.

There's a bunch of benchmarks here.

Sometime from Corsair that's gold rated is fine, unless you want to look for a shorter PSU or an SFX(Mini PSU) for your ITX case.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/WxL48d/corsair-rm-2019-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

Also what case are you going to use? How big of a cooler can you fit? Because if you can't fit a big cooler then none of this really matters, and Ryzen being a bit more power efficient might push it over the edge with the 3600 or 3600X.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Most games aren't going to care about the extra threads on the i7, getting to 5ghz or more on the i5 is going to give you pretty close gaming performance to the i7/i9 CPUs.

There's a bunch of benchmarks here.

Sometime from Corsair that's gold rated is fine, unless you want to look for a shorter PSU or an SFX(Mini PSU) for your ITX case.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/WxL48d/corsair-rm-2019-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

Also what case are you going to use? How big of a cooler can you fit? Because if you can't fit a big cooler then none of this really matters, and Ryzen being a bit more power efficient might push it over the edge with the 3600 or 3600X.

Well the case its a well knowed case here. Most sold. I thing it fits a ATX PSU. The store told me I could fit a modular one. 

Case is: Mini-ITX Raijintek Ophion Evo 

Side panel is costume. I order some cuts in metal side to make more airflow. 

I think real max high is 80mm at best. It also supports dual AIO but since I'm going for a ATX PSU I'm not sure if it fits such large watercooler. Indeed that motherboard u suggest makes me go for it. U are alote helpful and I thank u for that. 

I had in mind this Seasonic 80 Plus Gold 650W or more but I'm kinda off about that typ of PSU. Also the store only has 1 SFX PSU anyways and costs 40€ more against this PSU. Again maybe u know more then I do.

The board is a must go from what I saw but again 5.0GHz will generate much heat? 

3 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

It's going to be something 80-100W under a gaming workload.

Just get a 240mm AIO, if your other powersupply is old you might as well replace it for the long run. And it looks like that case has tons of room for an ATX power supply.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8mJtt6/corsair-h100x-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060040-ww

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just get a 240mm AIO, if your other powersupply is old you might as well replace it for the long run. And it looks like that case has tons of room for an ATX power supply.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8mJtt6/corsair-h100x-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060040-ww

Does it fit in the case? 

I don't have any PSU yet. It was suggested by the store that the Focus 80+ Gold would be more then enough. Or a 550W is more then good for this? I'm kinda noob about powersupplys sorry. 

About the AIO. Does that even fit the case? The store doesn't has it avaliable. Damn. 

What about this: NZXT Kraken X31 or Corsair Hydro H45? 

Thanks. U are very helpful. Damn u are nice. 

6 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

The NZXT AIOs will just be overpriced usually, any 240mm AIO otherwise should be fine, as long as it's not the cheapest thing.

At lot of them come from the same factory from Astek.

The Powersupply isn't extended or anything, you could go for a non modular power supply so that the cables are slightly shorter.

The Focus Units are fine.

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The NZXT AIOs will just be overpriced usually, any 240mm AIO otherwise should be fine, as long as it's not the cheapest thing.

At lot of them come from the same factory from Astek.

The Powersupply isn't extended or anything, you could go for a non modular power supply so that the cables are slightly shorter.

The Focus Units are fine.

So u recommend in any case a 240mm AIO watercooler right? Let me check what typ they have in store. They are very limited on them.

What about a Be Quit Low Profil (130W TDP)? 

Well what PSU would u recommend non modular? 

2 minutes ago, JaySDelta said:

So u recommend in any case a 240mm AIO watercooler right? Let me check what typ they have in store. They are very limited on them.

What about a Be Quit Low Profil (130W TDP)? 

Well what PSU would u recommend non modular? 

For sure just go for a water cooler because you want the biggest cool you can fit inside that case.

Coolermaster has some, but as long as it's gold rated and like 550W or 650W it should be fine on quality, XFX/Seasonic/Super Flower/Corsair/EVGA are some other big brands

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dRdxFT/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-mpy6501acaagus

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

For sure just go for a water cooler because you want the biggest cool you can fit inside that case.

Coolermaster has some, but as long as it's gold rated and like 550W or 650W it should be fine on quality, XFX/Seasonic/Super Flower/Corsair/EVGA are some other big brands

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dRdxFT/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650-w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-mpy6501acaagus

Gona search for some and later gona put here to ask u ur recommendation. Thanks. 

The best Z390 itx board is the asrock phantom gaming ;) in terms of VRM - you'll want that if you're overclocking and/or planning on upgrading this system to a 9700K/9900K

I have the asus strix z390 myself and I regret not getting the asrock - not that the asus is bad, but the asrock is so much better and it was slightly cheaper when I got my PC built.

Are 8700Ks not available? If you can find them for cheaper than the 9700K they are a "good" value (only good because of ryzen) but value aside is great for gaming as 5.0ghz is practically free on every single one of them. 

If you delid and liquid metal, you can get by with a low profile cooler or a 120mm AIO in an ITX build even while overclocked, which is what I did.

The 9600K(f) has the same TDP but may be lower binned so OCs aren't as guarenteed, but still a good buy regardless.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

14 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

The best Z390 itx board is the asrock phantom gaming ;) in terms of VRM - you'll want that if you're overclocking and/or planning on upgrading this system to a 9700K/9900K

I have the asus strix z390 myself and I regret not getting the asrock - not that the asus is bad, but the asrock is so much better and it was slightly cheaper when I got my PC built.

Are 8700Ks not available? If you can find them for cheaper than the 9700K they are a "good" value (only good because of ryzen) but value aside is great for gaming as 5.0ghz is practically free on every single one of them. 

If you delid and liquid metal, you can get by with a low profile cooler or a 120mm AIO in an ITX build even while overclocked, which is what I did.

The 9600K(f) has the same TDP but may be lower binned so OCs aren't as guarenteed, but still a good buy regardless.

Well we haven't any ASRock boards for Mini ITX near so the only there are avaliable are those 3... Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS. All high end boards according to the store. Sadly there are only non K of the 8700 for sell. They had delidded versions of it to sell but were way expensive. Like 500€. Not worth it but ye the 8xxx series had alote ppl putting LM in it. 

Sadly that a non option for 9xxx. 

Sure the 9600K is a good option for gaming but some say the king for gaming is the i7 9700k. Some reviews don't show much difference. Others show a 10 to 15 Fps difference. Again not sure what to trust but I save some money going to a i5. Cooling system will be expensive. ?

On 8/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, Streetguru said:

So for the cooler I go for a AIO 240 from Corsair H100x. 

Well how should I position the radiator/fans? I only have a little intake and sideways air 0.3mm... Should I put it on pull or push side? 

For lucky I have a Zotac RTX 2070 Super AMP that fits with the radiator. Because if not I couldn't go with a dual radiator. Any case this costs about 85€.