On Ray-Tracing... What Do RTX Cores Even DO!?

bmichaels556

So this is my 10,000 foot level understanding of what ray-tracing is, how it works, and how Nvidia cards are driving it now. One thing that seems to be happening is that RTX cores merely ACCELERATE ray-tracing, and aren't respomsible for a card being able to do it per se, correct? My evidence for this, is that even when ray-tracing, the cards still lose performance, which sounds like it's so demanding that it's cutting sharply into the rest of the card. Or something like that? 

Now, I could again be totally off, but aren't other Nvidia cards now able to ray-trace without RTX cores using some kind of generic method in DX12? So if that's the case, why can't AMD cards do the same thing right here, right now? Has it been specifically adapted to Nvidia's hardware and so isn't quite ready to be able to run on other cards? 

Regardless, it all just sounds like RTX was a brilliant scam that was all marketing and no substance. I guess I'm preaching to the choir on that one though. But it seems like the equivelent of selling 8K TV's when 4K content was hardly available a number of years ago. This latest and great thing that does absolutely nothing for the user. Not well, anyway.. Pretty much snake oil until it reached potential. 

This is sort of a rant, but I'm also looking for a little more info how other cards are able to ray trace without RTX, and also why AMD cards are not able to do it currently, or maybe ever on what's currently out there.

9 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

So this is my 10,000 foot level understanding of what ray-tracing is, how it works, and how Nvidia cards are driving it now. One thing that seems to be happening is that RTX cores merely ACCELERATE ray-tracing, and aren't respomsible for a card being able to do it per se, correct? My evidence for this, is that even when ray-tracing, the cards still lose performance, which sounds like it's so demanding that it's cutting sharply into the rest of the card. Or something like that? 

Now, I could again be totally off, but aren't other Nvidia cards now able to ray-trace without RTX cores using some kind of generic method in DX12? So if that's the case, why can't AMD cards do the same thing right here, right now? Has it been specifically adapted to Nvidia's hardware and so isn't quite ready to be able to run on other cards? 

Regardless, it all just sounds like RTX was a brilliant scam that was all marketing and no substance. I guess I'm preaching to the choir on that one though. But it seems like the equivelent of selling 8K TV's when 4K content was hardly available a number of years ago. This latest and great thing that does absolutely nothing for the user. Not well, anyway.. Pretty much snake oil until it reached potential. 

This is sort of a rant, but I'm also looking for a little more info how other cards are able to ray trace without RTX, and also why AMD cards are not able to do it currently, or maybe ever on what's currently out there.

The first implementation of a "real-time" ray-tracer was the LINKS-1 Computer Graphics System built in 1982 at Osaka University's School of Engineering, by professors Ohmura Kouichi, Shirakawa Isao and Kawata Toru with 50 students. so in short yes.

only accelerate 

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

15798-raytracing-pascal-2.jpg&f=1

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

One thing that seems to be happening is that RTX cores merely ACCELERATE ray-tracing, and aren't respomsible for a card being able to do it per se, correct?

Correct. Dedicated hardware is in no way necessary for path traced light simulation, however it certainly helps, that way the load isn't being put onto your main GPU cores instead.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The short answer is "a type of math it does better than CUDA cores"

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

One thing that seems to be happening is that RTX cores merely ACCELERATE ray-tracing, and aren't responsible for a card being able to do it per se, correct? My evidence for this, is that even when ray-tracing, the cards still lose performance, which sounds like it's so demanding that it's cutting sharply into the rest of the card. Or something like that?

Correct, they accelerate it.

In fact, it is so demanding that even with RTX cores, the GPU is not raytracing every pixel on screen. They are only tracing some rays and then using machine learning to fill in the rest.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

AMD GPUs can ray-trace, its just they are not programmed to, because in doing so you would halve the frame rate... Oh hang on....

On the other side of the coin you shine a light on, I used to ray trace Mandelbrot sets on my old Sinclair Spectrum (48K total memory), with a 3.5 Mhz CPU - Yes 3.5 Mhz!

It took 24 hours+ to render the frame (yes a single frame, not frames), and another 24 hours+ to ray trace that frame, but RTX not needed then, nor now!

Well,you can do real time ray-tracing on any processor if the software support for it exists,even CPUs,the only difference is performance,

Dedicated hardware will perform significantly better than the rest.

Also considering that Turing was optimized for real time ray-raced workloads,Non RTX Turing GPUs perform better at real time ray-traced workloads than Pascal.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566