Need help deciding whether to buy or DIY

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask for advice. I was planning on having a server/NAS for our house. I would like to use the server/NAS for the following:

File and Backup Server

Media Server (at most 3 simultaneous users, 1080p content)

Remote access to the files on the NAS

Personal Cloud Storage

Automatic Backup of specific folders in the NAS to the cloud via google drive

I want to ask whether it is better to buy a pre-built NAS box, or DIY a NAS? For the DIY route, which os would be the most ideal to use?

I thank you in advance for any insight!

Laptop: HP Pavilion Power 15-cb002ne

CPU: Intel i7 7700HQ | GPU: NVidia GTX 1050 4GB | RAM: 12GB DDR4 | Storage: 128GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB HDD

Do you like setting up and configurating the nas? A diy nas lets you tinker much more vs plug and play and thats all up to you.

DO you have a budget? Do you want 10gbe? How much sorage?

If you want to have as little hassle as possible, go and buy pre-built one.

If you want to save money AND love to tinker with things, go DIY route.

Though, this is fair for almost anything these days...

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you like setting up and configurating the nas? A diy nas lets you tinker much more vs plug and play and thats all up to you.

DO you have a budget? Do you want 10gbe? How much sorage?

I am a newbie with configuring a NAS since this would be the first one, but I like to tinker with a lot of things.

As for the budget, I want to go as low as possible initially, then upgrade/add things later on. No need for 10gbe since it is only for our home. 6-8TB initially is good. Also looking for a reliable RAID setup since I will be backing up some important stuff and photos.

CPU: Intel i7 7700HQ | GPU: NVidia GTX 1050 4GB | RAM: 12GB DDR4 | Storage: 128GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB HDD

Just now, LambChopSupreme said:

I am a newbie with configuring a NAS since this would be the first one, but I like to tinker with a lot of things.

As for the budget, I want to go as low as possible initially, then upgrade/add things later on. No need for 10gbe since it is only for our home. 6-8TB initially is good. Also looking for a reliable RAID setup since I will be backing up some important stuff and photos.

the cheapest option would probably be to stuff your current pc full of hard drives, combine them into a Windows parity Storage Space, and share that over the network, or using Plex to access it.

How much hard drive space do you have in your case? 

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Do you have a backup plan for this nas?

Id probalby start with a raid 1 of 8 or 10tb drives.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Humble said:

the cheapest option would probably be to stuff your current pc full of hard drives, combine them into a Windows parity Storage Space, and share that over the network, or using Plex to access it.

How much hard drive space do you have in your case? 

Nah. I don't have a PC, only a laptop. Would be building this NAS for our home back in my home country.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a backup plan for this nas?

Id probalby start with a raid 1 of 8 or 10tb drives.

Looking at Backblaze as an option.

Which NAS OS would be a good choice? I see FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault mentioned many times.

Looking at Backblaze as an option.

Which NAS OS would be a good choice? I see FreeNAS and OpenMediaVault mentioned many times.

both of those will work fine here. Id just pick one and try it and see how you like it.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

both of those will work fine here. Id just pick one and try it and see how you like it.

Alright! Thanks!