8600k or 8700k?

So I'm planning to get a new PC with a ROG STRIX GTX 1080 and I have a dilemma between 2 CPUs, an i5-8600k or an i7-8700k. They're $100 apart and pretty different. I'm kinda new in this stuff so I appreciate your help here. Also I'm going to (try) and overclock. Data sheet: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=126685,126684

May I ask why are you getting 8th gen Intel CPU instead of Ryzen 3000 series CPU?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080/intel-core-i5-8600k-3-60ghz/

This is the expected performance of the 1080 with the i5.

i guess you can try to look for performance benchmarks with the i7 (i havent found any) and compare them but i personally don't think there will be a huge differance aside from CPU intensive taks

I have an i5-8600K and an RTX 2070. If you're building Intel, which is not a horrible idea (though AMD does offer more cores if you really do need them.), you should probably get a hyperthreaded CPU. My 6c/6t CPU is already feeling a little aged.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Id say it depends on what you play. I couldn't imagine using anything less than a 8700k right now. My 1080 kicks its ass right now with the bad games lately. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

It really depends on what games you play, do you want to stream, and what monitor you have (60/144/240hz)? For most just gaming use cases, an i5-8600k would be plenty. If you want to stream, then the i7-8700k is the way to go without a second thought. If you are playing any CPU intensive games at 240hz, then I would recommend the 8700k. An i5 is still a solid choice for gamers who just want to game.

28 minutes ago, mangdani282 said:

So I'm planning to get a new PC with a ROG STRIX GTX 1080 and I have a dilemma between 2 CPUs, an i5-8600k or an i7-8700k. They're $100 apart and pretty different. I'm kinda new in this stuff so I appreciate your help here. Also I'm going to (try) and overclock. Data sheet: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=126685,126684

Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X

Ryzen is better price to performance, unless you have a specific reason for choosing intel, I would go with team red

idk tbh

3 minutes ago, vizzaral said:

It really depends on what games you play, do you want to stream, and what monitor you have (60/144/240hz)? For most just gaming use cases, an i5-8600k would be plenty. If you want to stream, then the i7-8700k is the way to go without a second thought. If you are playing any CPU intensive games at 240hz, then I would recommend the 8700k. An i5 is still a solid choice for gamers who just want to game.

If he was streaming or doing anything else than gaming, he should just go with Ryzen Zen 2, its cheaper and the difference between Intel and AMD while gaming is barley noticeable.

If he was just gaming and going for a high refresh rate, it seems reasonable to go for intel, but for the mean time, he should just go Ryzen

idk tbh

4 minutes ago, Greenish said:

If he was streaming or doing anything else than gaming, he should just go with Ryzen Zen 2, its cheaper and the difference between Intel and AMD while gaming is barley noticeable.

If he was just gaming and going for a high refresh rate, it seems reasonable to go for intel, but for the mean time, he should just go Ryzen

I 100% agree. I'm just going by the assumption that those are his only 2 options, as that's what he has listed, and others have already mentioned that Ryzen is the way to go.

4 minutes ago, vizzaral said:

I 100% agree. I'm just going by the assumption that those are his only 2 options, as that's what he has listed, and others have already mentioned that Ryzen is the way to go.

In what scenario would those be his only options

idk tbh

6 minutes ago, Greenish said:

In what scenario would those be his only options

2nd hand market? His local shops availability? A game he plays may hate AMD *coughs Destiny*. May be an Intel fanboy. ?‍♂️

Just now, vizzaral said:

2nd hand market? His local shops availability? A game he plays may hate AMD *coughs Destiny*. May be an Intel fanboy. ?‍♂️

I get the second hand market, but to be totally fair he is probably just better off buying a new AMD CPU. On the subject of Intel fanboy's cough cough xQc

idk tbh

Imo, either spring for the 8700K or go with the one of the new Zen 2 options like the Ryzen 5 3600. 6 core 6 threaded processors are already beginning to become increasingly outdated in terms of frametimes in newer AAA games and imo won't last much longer especially considering the upcoming next gen consoles. The minimum anyone should be considering nowadays is 6c/12t, as that's what the latest entry level and mainstream processors are launching with nowadays. An i5 8600K may be faster in select cases but you're also more than likely going to be maxing the thing out just running the game, the 12 threaded processor will have the headroom available for not only upcoming AAA games, but for background tasks as well. Try running Battlefield 5 64 player on a 6 threaded processor and then try launching a YouTube video or stream in the background and you're going to notice it starting to struggle. 

Furthermore, with all of the latest security flaws that have been unveiled, to me, it just doesn't make sense to go with any of Intel's current mid range offerings ( i5s ). The i7s and the i9s I can somewhat understand, but for mid range and entry level I see no other choice than team red in this scenario. Not to mention the fact that the Ryzen 5 3600 is comparable in terms of overall computing performance to an 8700K, even an overclocked one. 

So yeah, to sum up, go with the 8700K, or get a Ryzen 5 3600-3700X. 6 threaded i5s no longer make any sense in the current market, even if you're only "Just Gaming". The same thing that happened to the quad core i5s will happen to the 6 core i5s, it's been demonstrated time and time again that processors that lack hyperthreading just don't hold up in the long run, hence my recommendation of the Ryzen 5 3600, or 8700K if you're intent on going Intel.  

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /