Question about GPU+PSU

Apocalyman

Hello! so I have a which I believe to be a low quality 650w PSU and I never heard of this PSU company before (my PC is prebuilt) High Power Element Smart 650w PSU and I might be getting a GTX 1070 TI soon.

Is it safe for me to use this PSU with the 1070 TI? thanks!

The psu is fine, High Power is a brand of Sirfa or Sirtec, a big OEM of power supplies, like CWT, FSP, Golden Wall etc

They're used by Chieftec, KoLink, Rosewill, Scythe, Silverstone, Thermaltake, Zalman...evga probably used them at some point.

psu is not low quality...it's just a more budget/low efficiency one but internally components are decent.

Yeah you can use with gtx 1070ti, no worries

Alright! thanks! I read a post earlier about someone saying something bad can happen if its low quality but now im fine! :)

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The psu is fine, High Power is a brand of Sirfa or Sirtec, a big OEM of power supplies, like CWT, FSP, Golden Wall etc

They're used by Chieftec, KoLink, Rosewill, Scythe, Silverstone, Thermaltake, Zalman...evga probably used them at some point.

psu is not low quality...it's just a more budget/low efficiency one but internally components are decent.

Yeah you can use with gtx 1070ti, no worries

Alright! thanks! I read a post earlier about someone saying something bad can happen if its low quality but now im fine! :)

Doesn't look good. It doesn't output its full rated power at the 12v rail, which is the usable power. This indicates to me that it's group regulated. Already, that makes this PSU a bad one. According to the specsheet on High Power's website, the PSU lacks over temperature protection and overcurrent protection, that's another immediate disqualifier. It has a lot of older Teapo capacitors rated only at 85c. Teapo wasn't always a great thing to see back then and this being rated at 85c is another red flag.

Overall, no, I would not use this PSU. Definitely not to power a 1070ti. You potentially risk your system running it.

I would make the switch to a Corsair CX450 (2017). It's cheap and miles better than your current PSU, don't worry, 450w is plenty of power.

20 minutes ago, mariushm said:

This statement is largely false. Just because it's a big OEM does not mean all their platforms are good. This PSU in question is not good from what I've stated above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

31 minutes ago, PSUGuru said:

Doesn't look good. It doesn't output its full rated power at the 12v rail, which is the usable power. This indicates to me that it's group regulated. Already, that makes this PSU a bad one. According to the specsheet on High Power's website, the PSU lacks over temperature protection and overcurrent protection, that's another immediate disqualifier. It has a lot of older Teapo capacitors rated only at 85c. Teapo wasn't always a great thing to see back then and this being rated at 85c is another red flag.

Overall, no, I would not use this PSU. Definitely not to power a 1070ti. You potentially risk your system running it.

I would make the switch to a Corsair CX450 (2017). It's cheap and miles better than your current PSU, don't worry, 450w is plenty of power.

This statement is largely false. Just because it's a big OEM does not mean all their platforms are good. This PSU in question is not good from what I've stated above.

Thanks for answering! are you sure 450W is enough and I wont have anymore problems? cause im reading forums and people are saying to get 550 at least. (im on a budget as well)

Doesn't look good. It doesn't output its full rated power at the 12v rail, which is the usable power. This indicates to me that it's group regulated.

It's a group regulated design, as most budget 80+ bronze power supplies are. It's perfectly normal in that price range to not output all power on 12v

Already, that makes this PSU a bad one.

No, it doesn't.... or it's bad just as Seasonic S12ii power supplies are bad (not really bad)... they're budget and older designs but with long warranties and decent components inside... certainly better than shitty no-name chinese brands with fans that die within a year and mix of capacitors from Chinese brands.

According to the specsheet on High Power's website, the PSU lacks over temperature protection and overcurrent protection, that's another immediate disqualifier.

eh... only the over temperature protection is worth something.

It has a lot of older Teapo capacitors rated only at 85c. Teapo wasn't always a great thing to see back then and this being rated at 85c is another red flag.
No, only the primary capacitor is 85c rated and that's normal, and done in lots of budget power supplies, as this capacitor doesn't heat as much and it's big volume which means it gets additional cooling from fan, and not a big deal. Everything else is 105c rated and Sirtec at least tends to use only Teapo ( Taiwanese, not quite in the Japanese class of capacitors but better than shitty chinese brands found in budget psus)

A GTX 1080ti uses up to around 180w - the rest of your system probably doesn't use more than 100w - so you'd use a 650w psu at around 40-50% at its maximum capabilities ... which is perfectly fine.

No, it wouldn't be  "miles" better ... let's say 10-20% better, you get slightly better fan (rifle vs sleeve or whatever is on Sirtec) and full set of protections, but you get only 450w, so when you load the psu at 300w you're using around 75% of psu's power, which means more heat produced, more fan noise etc
Corsair does use 105c primary capacitor but only because they got burned in the past for using shitty chinese 85c primary capacitors and had to recall some models ... they use mix of capacitors on secondary side, some japanese caps in critical areas like 5v stand-by for example, teapo everywhere and other brands like Elite or Aishi or others (meh) in less important places.

So it would be more of a sideways upgrade, certainly not worth spending 100$ or so for a minimal upgrade... and a downgrade in some respects.

Okay imma let you guys sit this one out cause I dont know which one knows more lol

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's a group regulated design, as most budget 80+ bronze power supplies are. It's perfectly normal in that price range to not output all power on 12v

Normal? Sure. But certainly not good. More often than not, crossloads go out of spec which potentially damages hardware. Group regulated is never good and should never be acceptable. The review doesn't do a proper test, so we can only speculate. Unless there's a proper review stating otherwise, I'll assume crossloads go out of spec.

No, only the primary capacitor is 85c rated and that's normal, and done in lots of budget power supplies, as this capacitor doesn't heat as much and it's big volume which means it gets additional cooling from fan, and not a big deal. Everything else is 105c rated and Sirtec at least tends to use only Teapo ( Taiwanese, not quite in the Japanese class of capacitors but better than shitty chinese brands found in budget psus)

http://www.razorman.net/reviewshardware/review-high-power-element-smart-650w/4/ I see a lot of Teapos, but this isn't the greatest review, admittedly. Just because it's done in a lot of budget units, doesn't mean it's ideal.

No, it wouldn't be  "miles" better ... let's say 10-20% better, you get slightly better fan (rifle vs sleeve or whatever is on Sirtec) and full set of protections, but you get only 450w, so when you load the psu at 300w you're using around 75% of psu's power, which means more heat produced, more fan noise etc
Corsair does use 105c primary capacitor but only because they got burned in the past for using shitty chinese 85c primary capacitors and had to recall some models ... they use mix of capacitors on secondary side, some japanese caps in critical areas like 5v stand-by for example, teapo everywhere and other brands like Elite or Aishi or others (meh) in less important places.

Yes, miles better.
DC-DC Converts, Half-bridge topology, modern capacitors (Which have overall been improved over the years). Teapo nowadays overall isn't bad like a lot of reviewers say they are. You have to look at the model anyway to determine whether or not it's a good one. You're looking at wattage and power consumption, I'm looking about how the PSU is built. 

Corsair CX450 is my recommendation. Better protected, the important stuff is in spec, and adheres to most of Intel's ATX specs.

EDIT: I am extremely critical about power supplies. I let very little slide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

I would suggest to get the cx450. Your psu might do just fine, but i wouldnt try it.

4 hours ago, Apocalyman said:

Okay imma let you guys sit this one out cause I dont know which one knows more lol

PSUGuru is mostly right with his observations, the bottom line is that while the High Power Element Smart 650w will indeed power up the 1070 Ti and it will work initially there's a greater risk of failure than a more up-to-date better quality unit like the mentioned CX(2017).

With a power supply you really don't want to mess around, it still has the capacity to kill components if it fails so reducing the likelihood of such is always a good decision, but if you're too out of money to afford it you can take the risk with the old one, it will not immediately die but when it dies it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hello! I recently made a post asking if I should use my current PSU with a GTX 1070TI (My PC Is prebuilt and im getting a 1070TI soon) and I was told that its not recommended at all and I should get a new one. my current PSU is High Power Element Smart 650w and I was told to get CX450 however im from israel and I only have 54$ to my name and the shipping costs are too much. does anyone know about a good cheap quality CPU that I can order and works good with a 1070 TI?

I'll tell you what I honestly think you should do:

Use the High Power Element Smart 650W for a month or so to save up a higher fund to then replace the PSU for something better.

I believe you can make a solid month with it, just refrain from overclocking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

DO NOT TRY TO SAVE MONEY ON A PSU!!!!

Its the single most important thing in your computer. If it goes nothing works. And if it does weird shit (0.1% chance) it will take other hardware with it.
Just use what you got, carefully, and buy a good one once you have the cash for it.
Just like @Princess Luna said.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Like I said before, get a new PSU when you can. That High Power lacks protections and is group regulated, so it's a risk to run it. When you can, switch over to a Corsair CX450 (2017)

Hello! I am getting a 1070TI soon and I asked if its ok for me to use it with my current PSU (High Power Element Smart 650w) and I was told that its not recommended at all. however I wondered if it will still be fine to use it if I underclock the 1070TI perhaps? thank you! :)

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

ad_20130102143703_2.jpg

looks like group reg trash. 

So the answer would be no. 

And to mr @jonjo , why would you say Yes without first checking the quality of the PSU?

Hey thanks for answering! I was told it could hold for a bit with my PSU but why cant I use it if I underclock the 1070TI? the strain will be much less

I still wouldn't. Group regulated PSUs are notoriously bad. You've already posted something similar to this several times and each time we tell you to replace the PSU when you can. 

You want to risk a 500 dollar graphics card with a 40 dollar (probably shit) PSU?
hahaha.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!