GPU on plane?

hiltomedy

Hey, i’m leaving today to go back to canada after my vacation here in the philippines, during my time here i bought a new gpu to replace my old 960 back home. I fly philippine airlines and was hoping someone with some familiarities of prohibited items on planes could help me determine whether or not i’ll be allowed to bring a new gpu as well as a hard drive through x ray screening. Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, hiltomedy said:

Hey, i’m leaving today to go back to canada after my vacation here in the philippines, during my time here i bought a new gpu to replace my old 960 back home. I fly philippine airlines and was hoping someone with some familiarities of prohibited items on planes could help me determine whether or not i’ll be allowed to bring a new gpu as well as a hard drive through x ray screening. Thanks in advance!

They might ask you what it is, just say it's a computer part & that it doesn't have batteries.
I doubt they'll care much xD 

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

7 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

They might ask you what it is, just say it's a computer part & that it doesn't have batteries.
I doubt they'll care much xD 

No airline I've flown on has a restriction on computer parts as far as I know.

TSA might ask you what it is, but I doubt they'd confiscate it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No airline I've flown on has a restriction on computer parts as far as I know.

TSA might ask you what it is, but I doubt they'd confiscate it.

Thank you for saying word for word what I just said. (why the quote ?)
Airlines have a restriction on electronics in general, but it's only for batteries (max of 95-100wh).

We did once get a computer that almost got rejected & classed as a potential bomb due to the fact it was a first timer screening one through the xray & the docs said nothing about electronics, but it was in a pelican case. but like I already said, they don't care.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

That, and tech yes city regularly does this exact thing regularly

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Only flown within the US myself, but I've traveled with a GTX 970 in its box stuffed in my backpack multiple times. Just put it through the x-ray at the security checkpoint, didn't even disclose to them ahead of time, and I never got hassled by the American TSA for it. Your mileage may vary going international from the Philippines, but still doubt it'll be an issue.

Yes, it'll be allowed on the plane and into Canada, but......customs here in Canada are pretty strict (Atleast at Pearson Intl and Vancouver Intl), they completely strip down all luggage infront of you on a table once you get here, asking questions along the way. If/when they find your GPU box they'll make you pay the taxes for it if they suspect that you bought it while traveling. 

Make sure to open it and crumple the manual a bit before you travel so can claim it you got it from a friend as a gift on your travels.

Take a photo of the receipt, email it to yourself, delete it from your phone, throw away the receipt. They can and will look through any paperwork they find while doing the search and that's instant tax $$ for them when they find receipts. 

I came back from Australia while completely broke once (I have family down there, they paid for my ticket back) and had to literally throw out a blackberry curve 8520 my family bought me to upgrade a cracked T9 samsung phone, they found the receipt for it in the bottom of my backpack and I had no money on me to pay for the customs fees so they confiscated it, when I asked if I could come back to pay for it he was like "nono, confiscated means I get to go downstairs and throw it in the garbage compacter, the best part of my job!"

TL;DR mess up the packaging so you can claim it as a gift, otherwise tax $$ is 15% what you paid for it

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

thought it was the new title of a Samuel L movie. not snakes a plane but.. GPU on a plane... really weak manuscript

there will be no issues with a GPU, if you have the box even better, just put it in the tray outside of you bag, so that you are open about it...

Don't turn it on until they say it's ok to use electronic devices.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

3 hours ago, hiltomedy said:

I flew from Namibia to Germany 4 days ago with my gpu in my checked luggage and everything worked fine!

3 hours ago, Chronified said:

Make sure to open it and crumple the manual a bit before you travel so can claim it you got it from a friend as a gift on your travels.

Take a photo of the receipt, email it to yourself, delete it from your phone, throw away the receipt. They can and will look through any paperwork they find while doing the search and that's instant tax $$ for them when they find receipts. 

You shouldn't suggest committing tax fraud on a public forum.

Just be honest. You bought an item for your personal use, not for resale. I had no issue bringing a previously used GPU from the US to Canada. CBSA doesn't actually care what you take back as long as you're only taking items for personal use.

If you've ever watched the "Border Security" show, you'd know that people coming from Asia regularly lie to the CBSA, under-declare money or items, and are told to destroy the items in front of the CBSA if they think they are going to be resold without paying taxes on them. Even if you are asked to pay taxes on an item, it's going to be the GST+PST value of the item if it was purchased new here. So it's not like you're going to be slapped with a value greater than the goods itself.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

Someone coming back with luxury goods or multiples of the same thing is obviously going to be suspected of trying to dodge customs if they claim they're all personal use.