Arduino I/O like expansion board

V.G.E.R.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is any expansion cards that would work like an arduino (a microcontroller board). And yes, I know I can simply put a header to the USB and work with the arduino via USB inside the case, but I really want to use a "powerful processor" to work with image processing (a raspberry is not near to enough, it should be at least 4 cores because) and work with steeper motors and digital and analog inputs from sensors and etc.

Maybe it's time to learn using more advanced microcontrollers.

YOU CAN connect an ethernet card chip to a microcontroller that's more powerful than Arduino, for example PIC32 or ARM based Microchip Atsam or other ARM Cortex M4.

You have 100 mbps or higher bandwidth to talk to the microcontroller which can then control various devices. You can use port expander chips to have more I/O and stuff...

20 minutes ago, V.G.E.R. said:

I was wondering if there is any expansion cards that would work like an arduino (a microcontroller board). And yes, I know I can simply put a header to the USB and work with the arduino via USB inside the case, but I really want to use a "powerful processor" to work with image processing (a raspberry is not near to enough, it should be at least 4 cores because) and work with steeper motors and digital and analog inputs from sensors and etc.

You can achieve the exact same thing just by programming your Arduino with a sketch that reads instructions from serial and on your PC create a program to send those instructions to Arduino or read pin-states and such from it. I mean, Arduino is literally an "expansion card" if you program it to be one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Maybe it's time to learn using more advanced microcontrollers.

YOU CAN connect an ethernet card chip to a microcontroller that's more powerful than Arduino, for example PIC32 or ARM based Microchip Atsam or other ARM Cortex M4.

You have 100 mbps or higher bandwidth to talk to the microcontroller which can then control various devices. You can use port expander chips to have more I/O and stuff...

I already use Esp32, dragon board, but the thing is, for the amount of power for image processing and artificial intelligence it's worth (here in Brazil at least) to invest in a mini itx for am4 compared to import a beagle bone. And if there is a board would be interesting to import from China

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You can achieve the exact same thing just by programming your Arduino with a sketch that reads instructions from serial and on your PC create a program to send those instructions to Arduino or read pin-states and such from it. I mean, Arduino is literally an "expansion card" if you program it to be one.

Yeah, I just don't want to use the serial Port. And I think via PCI would be way more fun

Just now, V.G.E.R. said:

Yeah, I just don't want to use the serial Port. And I think via PCI would be way more fun

Using it via PCI, serial, SPI or whatever -- it'd still work the same; you program the device to act as an expansion and you write a program on the PC to tell it what to do and/or read stuff from it. The only difference would be speed, not functionality.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, V.G.E.R. said:

it should be at least 4 cores

The new Raspberry pi 4 has a Quad core processor. Are you sure that isn't enough? If not, the Nvidia Jetson (I would guess) should be a good choice if you are going to do image processing.